WTB: Factory Colt M16

Fast Twitch

Looking for a used but in good shape factory Colt M16. Asking price on these is all over the place. Have cash in hand and looking for a half and half deal if the gun is on a form 4. I'm not interested in paying full retail or dealer asking prices as I've seen several of these go for $20-22k lately. If your asking price is in that range, please contact me with more details and pics.

Thanks,

Fast Twitch

do you have links to ones being sold in that price range, or are they all local deals that somebody happens across?  I've seen threads on the latter, but have seen no legit A1s sell in the past 6 months on subguns, here, or GB or any other internet site for under $24K.

Heck, there are threads about Ruben selling Colt SP1 CONVERSIONS for $20-22K.  I can personally think of 4 of them in that range in the past 2 months alone.

One might surmise that those with internet savvy know they can get a premium on the net because of its reach to more buyers.  Those without forfeit several thousands in their sales.

If that's true, you're not going to find what you're looking for on the internet.  You will have to happen across it locally with a seller who has no internet savvy.

This is not intended to jab at you.  I'm just trying to understand if you have information that militates against my logical appraisal of the market and what I have observed as a buyer of 3 Colt M16s in the past year, checking the sites almost every day.  And to help you consider if what you seek is reasonable.

Edited by secondofangle
clarity

You might be able to find some Colt 614 rifles in that price range. They're marked "AR15", but they are factory colt machine guns. 

That being said, I haven't seen one in a while. As in two years or more. They used to be just about everywhere. 

I wish you luck in your search - but if it gets too tricky to find, don't hesitate to jump on a nice Sendra or Oly while they're still sub 20k.

Pricing is hard to figure. The 614 seems to command less $, even though they are factory Colt. The A-1 run around 25k, but those that are M-16, not M16A1, are closer to 30k. Can anyone explain why the M16  is more $ than the A-1? Rarity?

3 hours ago, AlanRosner said:

Pricing is hard to figure. The 614 seems to command less $, even though they are factory Colt. The A-1 run around 25k, but those that are M-16, not M16A1, are closer to 30k. Can anyone explain why the M16  is more $ than the A-1? Rarity?

I'm going to have to assume that's it - though they were 2 to 3k less than the A1s just a few years back.

The rifleman out of Georgia had a 614 at the creek this past fall. I'm almost certain it did not sell, coulda been because everyone wants A1s or the price was too high, either way you could start there. They are a professional group of people and often deal with rare MGs like stoner 63s and the like.

when i was looking at m16's 9 months ago i was finding 614s for $24k (asking prices)....i doubt you find a Colt M16a1 for less than $24-25k in any condition.....unless you find a rare deal(which i have seen occasionally (someone selling for $2-3k under value))

show us what you find?

There's a Colt 614 for sale in Austin, TX for 24,750. He will do the 50/50 payments as well.

That and David's model 01 are the lowest I can find for factory Colt rifles.

I stand by my previous assertion of getting a conversion RR while they're still under 20k. However, should you do that, I would avoid the colts because of the large pin uppers. 

Edited by Craigan
Extra info

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good deal on the A1 from Clyde's, although my guess is it looks like a PD gun.  Do you have photos?  I also note you found it local, as I suggested above, that's how you're going to find a deal, not on the internet.

I guess with the exception of the occasional GB listing, as noted above, where somebody says "screw it, I need to sell it fast" and they list it with no reserve and a reasonable starting price.

Not sure what the typical PD gun looks like, but there are a few very minor nicks around the magwell, otherwise it looks almost perfect. The handguards on the upper have one nick in them. Compared to wear on my other rifles, I'd be pretty comfortable guessing that this rifle saw very little use.

4 hours ago, YourCoWorker said:

I just - today - purchased a fantastic Atlanta PD trade in M16A1 for $19,999 + tax.

They had 2, now all gone.

smalltag.JPG?dl=1

Wow, very nice find. Congrats! 

Is it marked Atlanta PD? If so where? Just curious about the PD marking. I've seen (internet) some real nice engraving,  and some not so much. Regardless, you got a steal of a deal!