Registered Bolt for Tec-9

zpat

Anyone know much about the registered bolts for the TEC-9 series of guns (KG-9/KG-99/TEC-9/DC-9/AB-10)?  B&G plus another company made them.  I'm wondering specifically how they work.  Does the bolt itself simply replace the semi-auto bolt, nothing else in the host needs to be changed out, making the host a full auto only closed bolt affair?  Or does the host need to be altered in any way, and if so, what alterations?  I've searched high and low about this to no avail, lots of TEC-9 registered receivers out there, but they are apparently less desirable due to cracking, and the registered bolt is apparently the most desirable, but almost no information about them.

I suppose since B&G made the TEC-9 bolts, and they also made the UZI registered bolts, they probably work similar but I don't know how the UZI bolts work either.  If somebody knows how those work, it would be enlightening--same question, with that registered bolt, what additional host alterations are necessary to get it working in an off-the-shelf semi-auto Vector (just as an example).

Thanks!

Thanks, yes, I figured this out when I finally got my copy of how to convert the TEC9.  It is a great read for anyone who ends up with a full auto Tec9, as it has the blue print/mechanic specs for the bolts.

The bolt is drop in and go--it also converts the gun from closed to open bolt--without other changes, which surprised me.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not as simple as "drop in and go". It depends on how the bolt was milled.

Some bolts were left as semi bolts so it required altering the trip/disconnect in the lower. The problem with that is is considered a conversion (not a very reliable one) so the bolt could not be removed from the host without replacing the disconnect each time. (A royal PITA)

The ideal bolt is milled to clear the disconnect and is truly a "drop in" affair. Many bolts were later slotted for this reason. Caution must be exercised as the Rockwell was high on some of them requiring carbide and plenty of coolant. Annealing is an option but I've seen them distort when retreating, especially the Catco bolts.

The issues were caused by sloppy guidelines from ATF as to what was a MG after the initial 1982 KG-9 ruling. While some semi open bolts were seized as contraband, no formal ruling was ever issued and occasionally they still show up for sale as "KG-9 replacements". It gets murkier as the Interdynamics changed the bolt handle slot position when they redesigned it into a closed bolt KG-99. This was done to prevent converting one back to an open bolt simply via replacement. Many of the aftermarket bolts sold had TWO bolt handle slots so they fit both KG-9 and 99 uppers. Possession of a dual slotted bolt and a KG-99/TEC-9 could easily be construed as illegal even if the bolt was still in semi status (unmilled).

Regardless, the biggest issue is getting ANY bolt to run. While seemingly simplistic, there are many parameters that inhibit reliability with this design. They can all be made to run eventually, but be prepared for a LOT of tweaking. Ideally, purchase a bolt AND a host that the seller guarantees already runs.

OP, you say there are lots of RR TEC 9's out there. Where do you see them and how much do they run? What kind of SOL are you if and/when the plastic receiver breaks? Is there really any stress placed on the receiver when shooting the gun FA? I remember seeing a RR and the bolt was altered to have the firing pin "Fixed" or welded in place. Another RR had it's bolt with the firing pin held in place with a set screw as to allow the ease of replacing the FP if it wore down.

I'm not the OP but I can add my .02.

The greatest stress is placed on the rear areas. Cracks develop along the rear plate and down the rear third above the trigger guard.

Hotter ammo and 124gr loads seem to be the worst offenders. I've shot thousands FA without a single issue. A threaded rear upper receiver cap makes a huge difference. I've threaded all of mine just to be certain.

As far as a cracked receiver...they can be glued with varying results of success.

A registered bolt is definitely a plus.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, jack007 said:

I'm not the OP but I can add my .02.

The greatest stress is placed on the rear areas. Cracks develop along the rear plate and down the rear third above the trigger guard.

Hotter ammo and 124gr loads seem to be the worst offenders. I've shot thousands FA without a single issue. A threaded rear upper receiver cap makes a huge difference. I've threaded all of mine just to be certain.

As far as a cracked receiver...they can be glued with varying results of success.

A registered bolt is definitely a plus.

Have you seen any RR TEC 9's sell recently, wondering what's the going rate on the RR. Seems like the factory front grip is pretty hard to find.

Thanks

5 hours ago, jack007 said:

The original front grips come up for sale every so often. They're not particularly rare. Sometimes they sell for up to $200 but often more in the $75-125 range. 

The last original slanted vertical grip sold for over $600 on GB a little over a week ago with an enormous amount of activity/bidding.

That's AMAZING! I tend to follow these type items and I missed that.

I can't find it in the completed auctions but I've never been too good at searching GB.

Maybe someone can post a link or item number? (If its allowed here?)

I've bought and sold several and just last year bought a NIB Interdynamics one to keep with one of my KG-9 guns for $250 and thought it was a bit overpriced.

Most of mine I bought new from Intratec and paid $29.95 + shipping.

Well, now I see why I didn't see this.

Its the STUPID F**KING ads that GB runs...in the MIDDLE of their listing.

These greedy bastards aren't content with their almost monopoly over the online firearms used market, they have to force tons of worthless cheesy ads on us. I guess I stopped every time I got down to a line of ads and never scrolled any further.

I wouldn't mind having another Inter marked grip to go with my last NIB stainless KG-99 but the gun itself is barely worth $600. All my other ones are marked Intratec.

I've bought a TON of stuff on GB and I'm thankful for the ability as I'd never have found 95% of it in my area. I've gotten a few good deals, but doubt I've ever gotten a "bargain". Such is the nature of auctions, I guess.

Thanks for posting the link!

Jack