First time MG recommendations

ohioisgreat

I'm looking to buy a machine gun for the first time but I don't know the pros and cons of most of my options. I have a price cap of $10,000, so what all do you recommend for a first timer? I'm looking for something that I can shoot up and have the parts and pieces to repair it with should they break.

With that budget I would go with a M10 or M11.  There is also the Sten's and Reising's, I'm not as familiar with these two so not sure about parts etc.  I would try and find a rental place and rent a M10 or 11 and give it a try first.  They aren't for everyone as I just don't like the feel of them and ended up with an UZI as my first.  If you haven't done any NFA stuff I would recommend buying from a reputable dealer as it will make the process a lot easier for your first time.  You will pay a little more but you will have the piece of mind that your $$$$ aren't on there way to Nigeria.  Not to say everyone is out to scam you but there are a lot if you don't know what to ask and what to look for.  If you can find a local deal that would be even better as you can look and touch the firearm before purchase. Another thing is right now the wait is going to be a minimum of a year unless something changes which I don't see happening so keep that in mind. 

There are a couple of mfg's that aren't as good as the the others but since they didn't fit my bill I never researched them much.  Powder Springs and SWD are the two that you will see the most and both are good to go.  If I remember correctly there are some made by a Texas Co. that aren't as good. Registered UZI bolts aren't much more then $10k but of course aren't as desirable as a registered receiver.  There are good deals to be had on Gun Broker but the wait may be increased if they are on a Form 4.  But once again watch who you are buying from and ask a lot of questions.  Try to find something on a Form 3 so at least you can get it to your dealer sooner then waiting on a Form 4. Most of the stuff is GTG but some you may have troubles. 

If you're primarily a shooter and in the market for a beginner subgun, my advice would be to keep saving your $ until you can afford an Uzi. For something different, you may find a "Sten-ling" In your price range.

If you're a history buff, look for a tube gun MP40, Sten gun or Reising.

My first gun purchase was a Stemple 76/45 a U.S. Made tube gun. While I have fancier things at this point in time the SMG is still near and dear to me and take it out all the time. If it is your first time purchase I agree with Zammer if possible try to find local Title II dealer where you can actually hold and fire the guns. Mac-10/11 are absolutely not for everyone. I like mine enough to pick up another one off the board here recently. 

10 hours ago, ohioisgreat said:

I see that M2 Carbines are also cheap and have a historical aspect to them. How do they rate as an entry level gun?

The M2 Carbine is one of my personal favorites. I have had a registered receiver M2 for a couple of years and am currently waiting on a registered trigger pack. 

Hi Ohioisgreat,

If you don't mind being limited to 9mm, Beretta 38/42 can be fun.  40 round magazines, history, and well made.  If you like a more modern, the Uzi style is a good option.  I'd go RR but you will have to beat the bushes pretty hard these days to get one in the 10k range.  A Uzi RR sold a week or so ago on one of the boards for 10k in about 20 minutes.  They are out there.  The Sterlings are good running guns also but are limited to 9mm and harder to supress.

If you don't mind 45, the Ingram Model 6 is a great running gun.  The down side it parts are very hard to come by.  Sort of a poor mans Thompson, it was Gordon Ingams first foray into commercial SMGs.  It is much more reliable than the Reising in my limited experience.

No matter the reputation of the "model" of gun, you can find some that don't run 100% right out of the box.  Don't be upset if you have to sort through magazines or tune a gun to make it a real blast.

Good luck,

On 1/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, ohioisgreat said:

Thanks! I will look into the M10 and M11s more. Any guns that I should steer clear from?

id stick with Powder Springs if you get a Mac...its the original and most desirable....if your getting a M10 get the M10/45...you can get a 9mm (amp 10) upper for it...if you get the M10/9 you can get a conversion for .45, but its more difficult....the M11 is probably the most popular, but i dont think you can shoot 45 and 9mm from it....you can get (2) different lage uppers for it though for 9mm....

BRP Stemple 45/9mm kit is also something to look at...they were $8,999 not long ago, but now are just over your budget....its a brand new gun...pretty cool to me....to some=ugly

get the best you can afford...luckily there are a few good options in your price range

find a u-tube video of a Reising not jamming? this is why i didnt get one..they dont seem to sell well and dont seem to up in value either.....but to each his own

i just grabbed a Ingram m6 for $6,200....a rare tube gun....mags are $150 NIW....but parts are scarce...havent shot one, but reviews are good and price is in Mac range

• 2 weeks later...

GONGRATES ON JOINING UP!  more the better.. a first gun is a tough decision and advice hard to get as we are all so darn opinionated. i have been at this a long time and watched hundreds in your position. first place take your time! if you can rent a couple in your price range. avoid the temptation to shoot out of your budget or you will not be happy. the expensive stuff is so for many reasons. like car shopping be ready to "punch" your budget a bit. in reading your post, an uzi would be my first suggestion. a GOOD example is reliable, parts and mags plentifull and reasonable they are easy to suppress and a joy to shoot with reasonable easy to find ammo. its going to be tough without pushing your budget but it can be done and may be worth the wait. i personally own several macs and enjoy them a lot, but they are fast and not good for kids without a suppressor etc. if you go that way i would opt for the powder springs 45 or a "post auction"  swd. its tough to find good 9mm mags for them.  i have reisings and have a lot of fun with them as well as shooting guests. dependability is mag related but can be overcome parts are tough and the 20 rnd mags can have an effect but the control is faultless. i also like the S+W 76, they don't break and are reliable. some with large hands complain the stock is restrictive at the grip when folded. i would not suggest a sten or sterling for a first timer  the stemple 760 is reasonable , but be ready with reliability issue's and not on my list  the M11/9 is not on my list either for a first timer. great gun , i have 2 but mags make you fiddle and they are fast as found. you will blow your budget to get there. the beretta 38 is excellent, reliable and accurate with good mags fairly easy to find along with spares, but like the reising can be a bit boring at times.. if at all possible a colt converted AR-15 is ALWAYS my first choice suggestion to a first timer. but reality is $15k min in todays market . it does it all and after the initial hit everything is very reasonable and easy to find and do . 9mm. and other cals as well. while 22lr sounds appealing you wont do much of that if your like most folks and if you reload 9mm costs not much more. the ruger .556 is fine and a good performer with the full stock but forget any parts if something breaks.  HOPE I HELPED and again welcome   mike todd

GONGRATES ON JOINING UP!  more the better.. a first gun is a tough decision and advice hard to get as we are all so darn opinionated. i have been at this a long time and watched hundreds in your position. first place take your time! if you can rent a couple in your price range. avoid the temptation to shoot out of your budget or you will not be happy. the expensive stuff is so for many reasons. like car shopping be ready to "punch" your budget a bit. in reading your post, an uzi would be my first suggestion. a GOOD example is reliable, parts and mags plentifull and reasonable they are easy to suppress and a joy to shoot with reasonable easy to find ammo. its going to be tough without pushing your budget but it can be done and may be worth the wait. i personally own several macs and enjoy them a lot, but they are fast and not good for kids without a suppressor etc. if you go that way i would opt for the powder springs 45 or a "post auction"  swd. its tough to find good 9mm mags for them.  i have reisings and have a lot of fun with them as well as shooting guests. dependability is mag related but can be overcome parts are tough and the 20 rnd mags can have an effect but the control is faultless. i also like the S+W 76, they don't break and are reliable. some with large hands complain the stock is restrictive at the grip when folded. i would not suggest a sten or sterling for a first timer  the stemple 760 is reasonable , but be ready with reliability issue's and not on my list  the M11/9 is not on my list either for a first timer. great gun , i have 2 but mags make you fiddle and they are fast as found. you will blow your budget to get there. the beretta 38 is excellent, reliable and accurate with good mags fairly easy to find along with spares, but like the reising can be a bit boring at times.. if at all possible a colt converted AR-15 is ALWAYS my first choice suggestion to a first timer. but reality is $15k min in todays market . it does it all and after the initial hit everything is very reasonable and easy to find and do . 9mm. and other cals as well. while 22lr sounds appealing you wont do much of that if your like most folks and if you reload 9mm costs not much more. the ruger .556 is fine and a good performer with the full stock but forget any parts if something breaks.  HOPE I HELPED and again welcome   mike todd

SWD M11/9 was my choice for my first because of price, parts availability and all the configuration combinations (smg, .22LR conversion, carbine conversion & others thanks to Lage & others).  It's kind of like having 3 machine guns for the price of 1.   Mine transferred from out of state on a form 4 with 100% paid to seller before first transfer.  I don't mind telling you that until it actually showed up in my dealers hands, I was quite apprehensive.  But I had done due diligence in investigating and internet stalking of the seller, so other than buying face to face in state from a dealer, it was about as safe as I could make it.

My only regrets are that I didn't take the step into the sordid world of transferable machine guns sooner and that I didn't buy more sooner.

YMMV

• 1 month later...

As a small-timer here's my advice based on 23 continuous years as a subgun owner.  I bought a new M11 first, its the world's favorite "starter" gun for a reason.  The mistake I made was buying the M11A1 because I thought its tiny size was so cool.  Back then .380 was $4.99 a box, now it's $15.00+ and the reason that gun hasn't seen daylight in 10 years even though I own a small rifle range.  About six years after that I bought a new Vector Uzi when they first came on the scene and a few years after that I added an FNC because I wanted a rifle.  Although downplayed by other posters, don't under estimate the value of a gun you can run in .22lr.  My Vector Uzi with the .22lr kit installed (NOT allowable on a registered bolt gun) gets 90% of my full auto shooting, especially when NFA virgins come to my range.  It's fun AND it's affordable.  Think about your ammo budget before you buy a gun. Sure 380/9mm/5.56 give me that "real machine gun experience" but the Uzi can run through $10 worth of ammo in about five seconds and the Mac can do it in two.  How long do you want to shoot when you go to the range? I promise you'll shoot $100 worth of ammo before you can finish a Coke.  Buy something you can shoot all afternoon. The full size M11 and the full size Uzi are your two best bets because both have very dependable .22lr conversion kits available.  In my opinion, the UZI is a better gun as reflected by their prices but the M11 is great also.   Long term you'll be much happier with either of these guns than anything else mentioned here.  Please disregard this post if you have lots of money :)

Shoot Safe

And once you narrow down your choices, spend some time to sniff out the market. Amazing deals do pop up if you're patient.

Last year I found a Polytech AKMS for 16k, and I snatched what may be the last sub teen-thousand FNC yesterday. 

There's no real ryhme or reason to finding them, but its always fun to window shop.

I would recommend  M11 and a Lage slow fire upper that works with the Suomi 72 rd drums. Put a stock on it and for around $8500.00 you have a controllable submachine gun that competes and regularly wins against $30,000 mp5's. just my.02

• 3 months later...

Recently acquired an Ingram Model 6.  It seems to be well made and light weight for an SMG.  It's got an issue with light primer strikes.  Hoping it's the main spring.  Just ordered one from Sarco.  However, to me it looks like the firing pin protrusion is worn down.  Great that's going to be fun to find another one but Reuben Mendiola said he will help me get it running as I purchased through him here.

This will be your first MG. Everyone neglected to warn you:  You will want want to buy more before you know it.  How many people stop at one?

My humble recommendation would be to get something in 9mm. Relatively cheap to shoot. And you will shoot a lot of ammo. Ask me how I know. 

• 4 weeks later...

You can never have just one!  haha.

You gotta cover all your bases.  You have yourself a 5.56mm select fire rifle (if the ATF ever gets it approved; I'm still waiting on a form 4 approval for something submitted  in Aug 2016), so maybe a decent submachine gun and then a belt-fed.  That would round you out quite nicely.  Have fun!

-David

Buy a 1919A4 belt fed.  About $16K and worth every penny.  History, dependable, accurate, lots of cheap parts available, lots of good advice on the internet.  You can replace almost every part on it yourself, do not have to send off to gunsmith to replace barrel or get it fixed.  You will be money and time ahead to just get what works.

• 9 months later...

Spend a little more and get an UZI, S&W 76, or even a AC 556. At least you will probably be able to make some money when you go to sell it, if you decide to sell it. Buy a M-10,or equivalent,  and you will probably.decide to sell it after a few mag dumps. Lots of sales competition if you do