Opinions on selection. First time purchase.

Warriorii

Hey guys, I've been lurking for years and have finally decided to take the plunge. I want to start of by stating what I want vs what I have observed. I am in the market for a shooter. This will be something me my wife and son can go out back and have fun with. It will not be a dedicated safe queen and I'm not looking to get into the market for profit. I would prefer it to be multi caliber capable with 9mm and 22 lr as primary feed  ammo. I was kind of leaning towards a m10/11 varient and trying to source a .22 upper for one but not sure the real world feasibility of that decision. I was also think a RLL but trying to manufacture a way to make a 9mm or .22 bolt that will trip a LL seems very difficult and concerned with reliability of that as well. A m16 varient would be ideal but collectors and people with deep pockets are ruining that market for guys like me. Hell they are doing it to all nfa guns for that matter. For the price of some m16s I can buy an American 180 and a M11. If yall where in my situation, what would you be looking at? What can be shot alot reliably and not need tons of maintenance? or be fragile and I have to worry about breaking it. 

Some I would recommend are Swedish K, Sterling, Uzi, and M11 (Lage).  Uzi may be best for 22 conversion... Sounds like you really want an M16 - the market is what it is, no one is trying to ruin it for you, and times change. I remember when RDIAS's were much, much cheaper than RR Colts.  Good luck jumping in!

Warriorii,

Congratulations on deciding to join the NFA...

One must remember that in joining ..

you agree that Common Sense dose not exist...   Especially when dealing with law and regulations...

When purchasing ... Consider parts and accessories ( mags ...Etc)... Nothing worse than having a high price item broken , awaiting expensive time consuming repairs.... 

Seek out original , best condition you can afford...Go for the M16 ...If you take care of it , you will always get your money back... However. .. YOU MUST HAVE ...TIME... when dealing with NFA...

IF still too rich ...A Powder Springs M10/ 45 With a Lage upper...Is a good start. Don't forget a solid stock... Especially for young shooters...

Relentless reliability with many accessories and parts available. ...

If still too rich...One should consider the Tromix ... Saiga 12 Gage semi -automatic shotgun... 8",10" 12" ...Loaded with buckshot in a 20 round drum....Poor man's machine gun...

Have fun and BSafe...

Keep Shooting

Thank you for your reply. I think I have decided on starting small with a m10/m11 variant. Now on to finding the right one in the right condition. I'm so excited to get it underway. Time is definitely something I have. Probably why I'm buying one in the first place :)

i would seriously consider a Mac 10/45 if your looking at M11's....you can get a 9mm upper(amp 10) for it....so you can shoot 45 and 9mm....

a M10/9mm is one i would avoid as getting 2 calibers out of it is difficult.....

the M10/45 is often less expensive than a M11 and i think more caliber versatile...i have 3 uppers for mine and it turns it into 3 completely different guns....

i own a .22 uzi kit...doesnt yet work very well.....i think you would get bored quickly with FA .22.....9mm is $200 a case for brass cased when on sale...its really not that much if you buy in bulk and stock up...ive gotten .45 for $240 a case- same brass cased....if you want to go cheap steel case you can get 9mm for $150 a case (i think i saw somewhere yesterday)........

the Mac 10 was my last FA...i bought it just because it was cheap....but its just as much fun as other more expensive guns.....its a bargain price still too

I have a Ruger AC556 folder with 13" barrel and I am pleased with this choice.  5.56 is cheap enough to shoot and if I really want, I can purchase a .22lr conversion kit for about $300, maybe less.  However, I bought mine about 13 years ago.  They sell for a lot more, as does everything else, these days.

It's still less than half the price of anything M16.  It is not and never will be an M16, but it's not that far from it either.  I've always thought the AC556 is the better deal and still do. 

out of the 5 FAs i own i like my Ruger Kac556f the least.....it is uncontrollable with anything over 3 rounds....do 5-8 shots and your over the backstop

maybe i lack experience with it, but i think the gun is worthless on FA

whats cool about it is its a burst & FA gun....i like the size and its funky look

My m16a2 is 2x the gun the ruger is easily...its not close...my m16 is not factory...its got a shorty barrel/suppressor/ssf trigger/adj gas block all decked out...that gun has very low kick, its fast, somewhat controllable....the ruger is a wild animal and designed for 1 reason---a lower price point than a m16

if .223 is a must at a low price its really the only option....if your open to any caliber it would be my last choice in guns that i have shot

i will admit my SS folder has been my highest price increased gun that i own..its up nearly 30%+ from what i paid a year ago (i got a decent deal)

another thing is how many small parts it has...its overly complex...its got 2x the parts it should have inside...lots of things to go wrong(dont know if they do or not, just my idea). it comes apart oddly..you have to make sure its not on FA when you take it apart or you break things...the selector is just odd....safety in an odd spot for a modern-ish gun.....damn i should just sell mine eh? why do i own one

to each his own

Edited by huggytree

Yes, with the factory folding stock, the AC556 is not all that comfortable to shoot.  This is one of the reasons I purchased a Sage stock for my AC556.  The stock is rock solid and the barreled action fits tightly inside.  It adds weight toward the muzzle of the gun.  The folding Ace stock I put on mine has a little padding and certainly doesn't heart as much as the factory steel folder.  It's very easy to control and keep on target for short bursts.

can you mag dump and stay on target at 15-20 yards?

with some of my guns i can write my name they are so steady.....you'd be shooting into the Sun by round #30 with a AC556....im sure a different stock helps....kick isnt bad, its all muzzle rise....the folding stock and how it all works is the cool part about the gun....all the odd hidden buttons, the unlabeled selector, the quirkiness of the gun...its what i like about it...switching stocks would take most of that away....

have a pic of your Kac556? like to see your stock setup?

NFA Sales just listed a Registered bolt uzi for approx $10,250, a Mac 10/45 mint $6500(approx), Mac 11/9  $7,200( approx)

my latest FA purchase was from him and he handled things quickly and got my form 3 filed quickly....

so if $10k if what you have to play with id grab that UZI or Mac

4 hours ago, Warriorii said:

Thanks for the replying guys. I have decided on a mac11/9. Just for the aftermarket support of it. I'm sure it will be tons of fun.

Congratulations on the purchase.  You will have a ball.  Provide updates and pictures if you can.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, huggytree said:

sign up for your Lage uppers....the waiting list can be 9 months...and i believe the max 31's are shipping now....good to get things ready, so when your gun is in your hands you have all the uppers for it already

Ditto that.  As soon as I sent the check for my M11/9 I started shopping for the .22 LR conversion kit and Max 31 carbine upper.  By the time the lower got out of NFA jail, I had all the goodies, gobs of magazines and Suomi drums waiting to welcome it to its new home.  It was an instant happy family.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but... the M-11/9 fits your requirement of a 9mm and .22LR shooter for your family. More accessories and support for the gun are available than anything else except the M-16 platform. It really is a great choice in a subgun. 

Lage Mfg. sells a variety of uppers that change the look and function of the little buzz gun. Your requirement of .22 rimfire capability is also filled by Lage, and you have a couple of host upper choices there. 

*Shameless plug. I sell a tungsten alloy bolt for the M-11/9 that creates the smallest, slowest, 9mm subgun in the world. It provides a great slow fire option while retaining the small OEM size. 

Here a video review. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XFNbGmewPE

I beg to differ on the "you will get bored with a .22 FA" comment. IMHO .22 LR is the ultimate caliber for civilian recreational full auto use. Reasons:

1. The ammo for it is cheap. The ammo for it is cheap. Did I say the ammo for it is cheap.

2. In my experience it is the only truly controllable caliber in full auto, I can literally write my name on the target with it.

3. Suppresses very well.

4. When used with an M16 lower it has the cyclic rate of an MG42 (at least my setup does). Which is kind of cool. Even though more expensive I would highly recommend saving your pennies and going with the M16 lower. You can have any number of upper configurations and at least five or six different calibers with the one lower. If you get the M16 lower and either a .22LR conversion or dedicated upper get a boonie packer SW15-22 mag adapter, a bunch of SW15-22 mags, and a McFadden Machine loader and loading the mags is almost as much fun as emptying them (an important consideration with full auto as you will find yourself loading mags quite often).

In full auto I have guns in calibers .22LR, 9mm, 5.56, 8mm kurz, 8mm full size, 7.62, and 300BLK. And to me by far the .22LR is the most fun. YMMV.

Edited by m4a1sof