WTK: How to tell difference between a Frigidaire and Colt M2HB Barrel

TGW

I just checked my 3 unlined WW2 vintage M-2 barrels. The markings are pretty cryptic. There is, of course, the drawing number, just behind the carry handle cut. Plus some other small letters and numbers, but nothing that would lead me to think they were manufacturers codes. M-2 barrels are pretty interchangeable, so, I don't really worry too much about which barrel goes in the gun, other than to use the most worn out one first, till it gets close to the reject mark on the throat or bore gauge. My gun is a Frigidaire, as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Frigidaire made ASS LOAD's of barrel's in WW2.

Frigidaire Division:  (363,000) .50 Caliber Browning M2 Machine Guns, (1,000,000) spare .50 Caliber Machine Gun Barrels - First Contract was in June of 1941.  Frigidaire engineers made over 500 design and manufacturing changes and reduced the cost of the machine gun to 25% of the original cost using mass manufacturing techniques.  Chambering of one million FP-45 "Liberator" pistols to .45 caliber.

Skip to 10:30 and watch a few second's.

Colt will have a C in a square.

Frigidaire will be marked FA , FC,  or F alone or in a oblong or normal circle By the handle cut from what I have seen Or by the drawing and contract number.

Frigidaire at war

http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/General%20Motors/frigidaiire.htm

http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/General%20Motors/onemillionbrownings.htm

http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/generalmotors.htm

Hope this help's Nathan @ JnC

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Frigidaire, AC Spark Plug, and High Standard made EVERY single part in house..

Colt did the same at the beginning of the war but as the sole source for commercial gun's pre-war  they spent the early year's helping everyone else get up to speed and eventually contracted out 50+% of Colt made gun's parts by wars end.

Edited by JnC Manufacturing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

after some reflection of a LOOOONG past, I agree most manufacturer's would have most likely made barrels. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that MOST also got barrels from other manufactures in order to get guns out. this occurred at most all small arms plants for most govt contracts. on another note I continue to use all my .50 brls as long as the chamber is not DAMAGED. I face a min of .010 off ALL brls including new b-4 I use them in order to set the guns up tight and avoid seperations. may repeat it as they wear over time and have never had a problem.