WTS: UH-1B Huey Gunship / Helicopter - Pics

I have been chasing down this dream for some time. It appeared I had it by the tail but some things have come up and I just can't make it happen right now. So I am giving my Sturmgewehr family first shot at this. It is not listed anywhere else yet..

This is a UH-1B Huey Gunship... It is complete minus T-53 Turbine Engine. It is not in flyable condition. This Aircraft was made in 1962 in Ft. Worth Texas for the US Army. Serial Number 62-1931.. It has the heavy duty tail boom on it. This aircraft last flew in 1989 for a forestry service. It was assigned N number N91284.

This iconic Gunship was built and put on this earth for one reason..To kill people... and occasional transport.. so 2 reasons maybe.... This is a military surplus aircraft that ended up in civilian hands. It is perfectly legal to own. Would be great for a museum or in your out building. It is truely a sight to see. Most importantly it is a Warbird and nearly impossible to find. Soon enough these will cease to exist in civilian hands...

This can be transported on a low boy trailer. Or there are several companies that will pick it up and deliver it directly to your door. No logs or data plates. Unknown times on the components.

$40,000

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Sales@BeltFeds.Com

huey 1.jpg

huey 2.jpg

huey 3.jpg

huey%204.jpg

huey%205.jpg

huey%206.jpg

huey%207.jpg

huey%208.jpg

huey%209.jpg

huey%2010.jpg

huey%2011.jpg

huey%2012.jpg

huey%2013.jpg

** This is an excellent video of these gunships in action in Vietnam **

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 4

If I had not just Purchased a condo on the beach on an island off the coast of Florida......I started the other way I bought the Quilted cover for the top of the fuselage. If the mice and squirrels haven't made a nest out of it I could probably put it up for sale. That's a beautiful bird. If I were twenty years younger.....

• Like 1

@IGC ,

Thanks for the feedback man! I am hoping a member of the boards ends up with it. Keep it in the gun community ... once it hits the surplus vehicle market one of those guys is gonna snatch it up ..

thanks again for the feedback. I like to hear what others think about stuff like this.

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

2 minutes ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

@IGC ,

Thanks for the feedback man! I am hoping a member of the boards ends up with it. Keep it in the gun community ... once it hits the surplus vehicle market one of those guys is gonna snatch it up ..

thanks again for the feedback. I like to hear what others think about stuff like this.

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

I posted the link to your listing over on uzitalk. Hope you don't mind. :D

• Like 1

I remember about 15 - 16 years ago, when I bought my 51 Dodge M 37, I could've bought a Huey complete with engine for 8K. What is a price on an engine going to cost today?any idea?

Merry Christmas 

Edited by GUNHEEP

@GUNHEEP that is crazy!! I've never seen one that cheap.. stripped airframes are more then that now. 

Well a overhauled engine would be huge money. But there are times out engines out there that could prolly be gotten cheap. To throw in and make it whole. Not sure on prices as most of this stuff changes hands quietly on various vehicle boards.

Thanks for sharing your story about the huey. If you have any pictures please post them! 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

If the wing moves faster then the fuselage it is a helicopter and therefore unsafe.(and expensive).. Rebuilds are low six figures to start less the hot section and airframes start at five. You don't get to play rotor wing cheap. If you have to ask you can't afford it. Insurance costs this much a year. Logbooks and times remaining dictate $ price $ and make machine guns look like they are all made by Daisey.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly..HUEY369 had an engine and trans donated to them on their project by a family farmer in Iowa..valued at over 200K..If I was still current that woiuld be a cool project...just finishing a 1944 WC 51...Goes along with the M 38 and M 274A5...A&P is out of date...last one I fixed was a Raven...ha

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

@GUNHEEP that is crazy!! I've never seen one that cheap.. stripped airframes are more then that now. 

Well a overhauled engine would be huge money. But there are times out engines out there that could prolly be gotten cheap. To throw in and make it whole. Not sure on prices as most of this stuff changes hands quietly on various vehicle boards.

Thanks for sharing your story about the huey. If you have any pictures please post them! 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

There has been an ENORMOUS inflation in the value of military vehicles since the 90s

Back then nice running Duces were running around five hundred when they came up at civic auctions in the upper midwest.  Bought a few running well under $300.00

Warbirds started going into the stratosphere in the mid 80s.  Same "investors" who warped the valuations on Hemi Mopars.  Back in 74' my father was offered a pair of P51 Mustangs that formerly had been part of a rural NDs Highschool's Avionics class.  They were just sitting in an old barn with spare engines and truck loads of NOS spares.  $2500.00, yes that's right...two thousand, five hundred bucks.  While we had the cash my mom swore she would divorce Dad if he thought he was going to start filling HER Yard with dead airplanes.  Sad part was even back then there was an easy 50K margin in the deal.

Up through much of the 90s there were still deals to be had in Canada on DeHaviland Tiger Moths.  When the Canucks decom'd them they literally gave them away to farmers who mostly burned them to salvage the wire for use around the farm.  A few did end up in barns.  Bought a decent Tiger, barn find that needed a complete overhaul for $3800.00 in funny money in 96' and rolled it over without even moving it three weeks later to a buyer in California for a quick 4K profit.

Few years ago a fellow I know in Finland sent me pix of some abandoned Soviet air field he found.  Line of YAK fighters with trees grown up around them.  The Russians just forgot about them.  Just no real way to import them here.  Tons of warbirds like that, even here in the States.

Know one fellow who bought a B25 Mitchell.  It had been awarded to a Legion Post in a rural community post war.  Over the years the town died, the Post closed and the Mitchell sat there.  This was in the early 90s ?  Anyways he recruited a crew of Army Air Corps Vets who spent roughly a month refitting the air frame before flying it out taking off from a gravel road and taking it down to Kansas.  That's right, no inspections, no flight plans with with seriously OLD Vets in the Cockpit...they kept it treetop level the whole trip.  I recall him telling me he had roughly 30K into it to get it down to a private strip in Kansas...Big Brass Ball Balls.  There are still a few Warbirds like that out there.  Know one abandoned town that has a Freedom Fighter, think there are like under 30 people living there currently.

Post WWII a ton of Warbirds were given to VFW/Legion posts as well as schools.  Much of this ended up crushed eventually.  Know of one P38 that was cut up for scrap in the 80s.  It was just a nice, mostly complete airframe but even then I thought what a waste.  

Your price is quite fair these days for what it is.  Choppers received way less collector love than fighters or even small bombers.  There were a ton of Huey's distributed to various Agencies...most were just scrapped eventually.  The issue is cost to rebuild for your typical collector/accumulator.

• Like 3

@Jim B , really cool stories man. Its unbelievable what is still out there hiding. Walter Soplata's war bird grave yard he amassed is just fascinating to read about. I figured their would be a lot of guys on these boards who were also into the military surplus vehicle market.

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

21 hours ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

I was into it up through the 90s, between the Internets & idiot Reality TV shows most of the old market has been ruined when you have characters valuating a crapped out 6X6 at 3K.  No meat on the bone.

I can recall buying BREN gun carriers for $400 in unaltered condition.  Most up here they cut the armor off and used them for skidding timber out of the swamps during the winters.  Same deal with WWI Artillery Tractors.  When they were surplused in the inter War Era a good share ended up in the Timber industry, some went to Mining.  Real Rare items these days.

There are all sorts of things sitting in mostly Ghost Towns across America.  Working on getting a 105mm transferred from a forgotten town's War Memorial to my town's new memorial.  Something to remember is a fair share of these VFW/Legion awards are still considered US Govt. Property...you don't just pull it up on a trailer and say Good to Go !  That can put one in the Federal Pokey.  Earlier items such as WWI French & German cannon were often a different deal however there are still cannon from the War between the States that are viewed as property of the DoD.  During the SA War a bunch of things came back from Cuba & the Philippines that were incorporated in Civic memorials, that was mostly State Militia so DoD has zero claims on it.

You can see a bit of this stuff cluttered in rural MN museums.  The county Museum in Warren MN has a .45 Nordenfeldt "machinegun" seized from the Spanish Fortress on Corrigidore in the PI.  Very nice shape considering it sat outside the Courthouse for some 80 years.  The County Museum in Park Rapids has a few cherry belt feds including an 1895 Colt Potato Digger and a Hotchkiss strip fed, both from the war with Spain.  In Detroit Lakes they have a WWI Parabellum Aircraft machinegun among other things.  Rare stuff.

There is a crap ton of these trophys scattered across MN & WI holed up in rural museums as well as memorials.  Sometimes it's even buyable.

Issue is many if not most County Historical Societies these days are dominated by elderly females who see little to no historical merit in fireams, particularly anything remotely modern military.  As such sometimes they are open to selling things off.  One local bought a lightly dewatted MP44 from the County Museum for WELL Under a grand around 2002.  Nice huh' ?  Same deal with a Cannon in the Courtyard or even an abandoned aircraft display.

I just don't have the room...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A VERY COOL item listed here.........

many years ago a local Houston Dealer listed a running P51 Mustang for sale here at Sturm  ...... $250,000 

I don't think it sold ........

also many years ago someone posted a MiG 21 for sale here as well  ........ 

That makes some sense, A P51 hit a haystack in training, ripping off the radiator.The pilot zoom climbed and practiced the 3 most important steps of the emergency check list. 1. Get Out 2. Get Out 3. Get Out ,

They were able to save the data plate that was buried 13 feet underground,a new aircraft was built around the data plate. Generally p51 aircraft are 2M to 5M restored

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What  I wouldn't give to have this but storage would be an issue for me......that and wanting to explain to the local Sheriff Department why I was out groundhog hunting from a Huey.

How much does the proper engine cost for curiosity? 

Does it come with a complimentary M60?? LOL

• 4 months later...