Boys Rifle Conversion to 50 cal.

bw6mm

Need help. I have a Boys rifle that was converted to 50 cal. and never fired- never even fired in the original .55 cal. configuration. Question is:  is  it safe to simply seat the 50 BMG round to mag length and fire the rifle?

Also what load is typically used and safe for this  rifle?

Looking to sell, and asking what the value might be.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

• 1 month later...

bob, i bought my first one in 62 and the 2 crates of ammo didn't last long so i installed a M-3 aircraft brl first. of course not much was available in .50 cal either so i made my own projo's   had to drill cases and press in a base of a 30/06 case and used mag primers with 5010. around 115 grns if i remember right. the next one got a M-2 heavy brl and i bumped the bullet to fit. i have owned 12 or more boyes rifles and still have 3. they are a very  hard sell unless you give them away  when converted. i have one and have been trying to get $3500 for 4 years with no luck. recoil is intense with ball ammo about twice what the barret is . the last 20 yrs or so i have loaded ammo special just for it and keep it away from my M-2. if i shoot ball in it i don't bother with the mag, just drop the round on top of the bolt b-4 i work it and it feeds fine. at the shoots most folks wont fire it more than once, even mounted on a 17 tripod.  cheers mike