RON IN PA

Info:Death Transfer from PA. to MD.

10 posts in this topic

I know  correct Transfer form (title 2) is needed,, can the heir pick up item in PA. & carry back to MD. & register in w/MD. (if necessary)..or does a class 3 dealer need to be involved? TKS trt1944@verizon.net

Edited by RON IN PA

922(a)(5) - prohibits transfer to out of state resident with an exemption for inheritance.

I guess I should have mentioned the WILL is included.

incomplete question,, so incomplete answer.!

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 5:51 AM, RON IN PA said:

I know  correct Transfer form (title 2) is needed,, can the heir pick up item in PA. & carry back to MD. & register in w/MD. (if necessary)..or does a class 3 dealer need to be involved? TKS trt1944@verizon.net

If I'm not mistaken, when the transferee is named in the decedant's will, or is a lawful heir of the decendant, the item may be transferred directly, interstate, to the heir, pending ATF approval of a tax exempt Form 5.  This is subject to the laws of the heir's state of residence:  For example, if private ownership of a transferable machine gun is prohibited in the heir's state of residence, then ATF will disapprove the Form 5.

I would think that if the heir wished to pick up the item in person, that this would be lawful, as long as the Form 5 is approved before the item is turned over to the heir.

correct answer as I wanted,,, BUT 'I would think'? thats the real question I need. I just better call BATFE.

Or read the statute cited in my previous post which contains the exact text you are looking for.  Just sayin'.

You probably got this ciphered already, but a copy of the will submitted with the F5 might save a kickback due to transferring interstate to a nonlicensee.

Thanks,, I'll keep that in mind.