how best to market a Colt mfg'd AR15 select fire?

HPinohio

I know of a Colt model 614 that may come up for sale. very nice weapon. it's been shot, was a PD trade-in, A1 upper, has the Colt birdcage flash hider, non Colt full-auto bolt, correct butt stock, the upper finish matches the lower. should he sell it as "lower only, with butt stock" or with the upper? will it make any diff on pricing? thanks for the help.

I remember in September of 2014 Ruben had two model 614s that caught my attention. One had the original a1 style upper without forward assist, and the other had an a2 style upper, which may not even have been a Colt. They were both priced at 19,995. Both sold.

These are factory built machine guns. You're seeing sp1 conversions with new uppers breaking into the 20 thousand range nowadays. Unless there's a desire to keep the upper for another project, I see no reason not to sell it with the lower. 

Edited by Craigan

I recommend against parting out factory assembled transferable MGs. Part of their allure is that they are factory MGs. When you part them out, not only are you affecting future collectibility, you are also doing a disservice to future owners. Some will say, it's your firearm do with it as you please. However I believe as owners of transferable MGs we are custodians of rare collectible items, and nowhere is this more to the point than factory original transferable MGs. I will not permanently alter a factory original transferable. Parting the upper and lower is forever altering that Colt.

Leave it be !  it may be more original than you think and most buyers these days know how much uppers cost and will have their own options to deal with.  anything you do at this point is simple math for value . you don't mention any barrel / upper marks, the bolt and carrier may be the only issue and was a repair.