SP89 Redo?

Raybathm

Good evening all,

I acquired an HK SP89 as part of a sear purchase. The HK SP89 is still a pistol in very good condition. 

I have been considering asking Terry Dyer to redo it marking it MP5K and adding a 3 lug, keeping it a pistol. (Terry has done several HKs for me over the years.) 

My question is if you think the ROI is worth the upgrade? 

Thanks in advance!!!

SP89.jpg

I think it depends whether you want to suppress your K. If you don't, I wouldn't spend the money to convert to mp5k-n. If on the other hand you want to add a suppressor, then by all means go for it. The best bet for a K-N barrel is the B&T imported barrels. These are Swiss B&T mp5k-n barrels made to HK spec. Given B&T's long time cozy relationship with HK, I consider these to be on par with a factory HK barrel. Hkparts.net retails them. You will also want the #28 locking piece for suppressed mp5k use. They are also available through hkparts. Also, you will want it remarked "MP5K-N", as that is correct for a K with the Navy threaded/3-lugged barrel.

Edited by JoshNC

My SP89 is the only real HK host I own and it will probably be the one that goes with the sear whenever I sell it. In my opinion the SP will bring me the most value being upgraded to the PDW model with the addition of a B&T or real HK threaded 3-lug Navy barrel, paddle mag catch installed and engraving to MP5K or MP5K-N. 

sorry but I just cant see the value or use of all this " remarking"   stamping FALSE info etc.  who exactly are we kidding? its still the same darned thing no mater WHAT it says. I know its been an accepted practice since VOLMER started it and its your money, if it makes you feel good who am I . just remember a $10 crack whore with a bath and clean clothes is still NOTHING MORE. when these things were cheap and nobody paid attention, it was common to spend days with semi chrome and cold blue getting rid of surface stains. many times undetectable, yet some one with a table full of these "clones" would pass out at the mention today??   I left my SP89 alone after the stock but would do the 3 lug if I wanted to suppress it .  terry's work is fantastic you cant go wrong there for sure.    MOST important, I believe ATF will jump all over these re-stamped hosts when not marked by the "manufacturer" and logged as such in the books.  now days Vickers Mk1 has to be removed from a form 4 unless its stamped on the receiver??  

On October 22, 2016 at 3:10 AM, mike todd said:

sorry but I just cant see the value or use of all this " remarking"   stamping FALSE info etc.  who exactly are we kidding? its still the same darned thing no mater WHAT it says. I know its been an accepted practice since VOLMER started it and its your money, if it makes you feel good who am I . just remember a $10 crack whore with a bath and clean clothes is still NOTHING MORE. when these things were cheap and nobody paid attention, it was common to spend days with semi chrome and cold blue getting rid of surface stains. many times undetectable, yet some one with a table full of these "clones" would pass out at the mention today??   I left my SP89 alone after the stock but would do the 3 lug if I wanted to suppress it .  terry's work is fantastic you cant go wrong there for sure.    MOST important, I believe ATF will jump all over these re-stamped hosts when not marked by the "manufacturer" and logged as such in the books.  now days Vickers Mk1 has to be removed from a form 4 unless its stamped on the receiver??  

I hear what you're saying and to some degree I agree with you. However, a premium is placed on HKs that have been converted to be as close to factory correct as their select-fire counterparts and part of this conversion is remarking them to the "correct" model. I say "correct" model, because at their core these semiauto HKs are bastardized firearms made (largely) to comply with our BS restrictive laws in the US. Don't view it as further bastardizing the bastard; view it as almost legitimizing a bastard model. As for the legality of remarking performed outside the factory, it is legal. ATF did rule that it is illegal to remark a title-2 firearm once it has been made/manufactured as a title-2. This is patently not legal for them to enforce, however I have no desire to be the test case.

The bottom line - if you think you may ever sell said title-2 HK, remark it before it is a title-2 firearm or be prepared to have a firearm that is slightly less desirable, slightly less valuable than the same item that has been remarked.

NO question on the title 2 regs. they  are very clear  markings must match all the forms etc.   I'm no lawyer but have been involved with firearms world wide prior to the gun control act being passed .  Also been called to testify on both sides a few times , most all involved "altered firearms" some mechanical, some cosmetics . In NO case did the defendant prevail if it went to trial. While an individual can manufacture a firearm for their  own use and leave it completely blank, altering one WITH  MARKS in a way that effects the ability of law enforcement to identify or trace an example is regulated.  At one time ATF published  "guidelines" stating the procedure to be used when customizing firearms and even sporterizing military surplus arms. I can assure you the description of what was not allowed was much LESS than some of the things bring done today, how would a FFL holder log a firearm sold private 2 or 3 times then traded in and marked MP-5 , when in fact it is a HK94 or maybe a SP-89?  how would it trace? before vollmer started messing around with the HK's, every form 4 I filled out (LOTS)  had only the model, and serial number. brl length, o/al length and caliber were filled out N/A. I still have more than 40 done that way. all went first time . The consequences are yet to be seen of all the "re-stamps" and such . It will be interesting if it ever comes an issue, and I believe it will. cheers mike