I was thinking about doing some Fall gun shows until I heard mixed reviews from sellers not covering table costs or fuel bills. Then I looked into the auction houses and was amazed at the high buyer AND seller premiums (what a racket!)

Not comfortable with dealers that fly in and appraise ("wholesale" offers(?) for a NIB 2nd gen Colt SA, pre '70 S&W and Colt revolvers, all matching Lugers, Nazi Hi-Powers, P38's, Radom Vis 35, PPK. PP, HSC, etc., to NFA: NIB M16A2, Walther MPK, MINI UZI, M60E3 and G1).

Part 2 is the Militaria, Civil War Officer Cavalry presentation swords (engraved, all Union) from a museum, Issued cavalry swords, Post war cavalry swords, Japanese Katana (blade dated pre 15th century) to war time made swords. Nazi flags, swords, daggers, metals, tokens, awards, patches and insignia from pre WWII to post WWII, WWII nazi officers visors and U.S Officer Visors.

Wouldn't that be a concept if Sturmgeweher offered a "collections" section where all guns and militaria from a given estate could be listed. Flat fee based on collection size or total value? I would even buy a special rank to list all in one spot.

Just a thought!

Edited by BDMERC

GUN SHOWS STILL WORK BUT REQUIRE A LOT OF EFFORT!  there are some tricks that few get a handle on. first and foremost you must present yourself as the exception and not just another "pawnshop" "small dealer with a BLUE BOOK as the BIBLE".  NEXT you want to attend the same venue at the SAME location more than once.  attendee's get numb to the same ol same ol  approach and look forward to someone inviting. resist the attempt to look like a commercial operation and BE FRIENDLY!!   IT seems like the only variable at the shows is the ability to grade whats being offered , since the blue book landed , every like item has the same ask price no matter the grade. try to avoid it otherwise the auction house's are the only option for complete liquidation. many times they will exceed street value and retail with final hammer. my failing health has prevented my participation at shows and they were the high points for me along with the organized shoots.  give it a try   mike

Gun shows are fun. Only problem is you have to price your stuff lower and expect an even lower offer to make a sale. Typical rule is if you have it, most will want to pay you next to nothing. If they have it, it's worth double retail. It's nice to find someone in between.   If you aren't looking for top dollar, you can do okay. Some shows are not good for selling collectables. Many are looking for modern stuff and maybe one customer in 100 has the money or the interest in the stuff you have. These forums are good for sales. Gun broker is good for extracting top dollar.  Be ready to take and post a lot of pics. I find what won't sell at shows sells on line and vice versa. If you are in a hurry to sell, your prices will tend to be less. Everyone wants a bargain and volume wholesale pricing (even on  onesey twoosey quantities) . Glad I don't do it for a living. Good luck.  

• Like 1

I'm hauling it all to Tulsa in Nov. Too bad they don't allow NFA.

Once I get an inventory list of guns I'll put it on the collector board. Whatever sells is that much less to go on the trailer.

All the parts and pieces are too much trouble to list, so the show may be a good place for them.

Thanks for the inputs! Especially you Buddy!

• 4 months later...

Did you ever get that list? Would like to see anything W11 Nazi listed, guns, holsters etc. Offer to email a list broken up in categories to people and they can search their special interest. it will go a long way. Time consuming to check all over sites for areas of interest. I could look at a complete list and pick and chose areas I am willing to buy from without having to go to several forums.