Where are the transferables??

mstrmstr

22 hours ago, mstrmstr said:

I noticed a severe lack of machineguns for sale.

Where are they? 

I'm not sure if you are joking, but there is hundreds currently listed. What is lacking? Other then really rare off the wall shit I'd bet there is at least one of everything, 5 of the more common items, and even 20+ in the mac category. Where are you looking that you think there isn't any listed? 

I saw more activity (and goodies that I never knew existed on the registry) happen in the two months before 41f went into effect than I have in a long time.

Many people (including myself) made a purchase or two to shore up what they may have been lacking in their collection, and others sold into that demand.

Now I feel we're just back to usual, maybe just a bit slower. It was a very exciting time, though.

On 9/26/2016 at 6:46 PM, damcv62 said:

I'm not sure if you are joking, but there is hundreds currently listed. What is lacking? Other then really rare off the wall shit I'd bet there is at least one of everything, 5 of the more common items, and even 20+ in the mac category. Where are you looking that you think there isn't any listed? 

No joke..A4's, M60's, Jap 96 and 99, Lewis guns, 1917A1. MP40 .even Maxims and Vickers are few.  Never mind the trouble finding a documented WAT. 

The commons are out there if you look but If your a collector/shooter you have a long haul..  Just sayin.

YES, we "oldsters" are going to die, but many like myself , got tired of all the greed and shenanigans and just gave them all away to deserving "youngsters" and they will never see the market. hell i just paid $25k for a 30/06 colt Vickers and gave it away.  TRY TO SELL SOMETHING? and the picture collectors will make you want to play the CRIS WALKEN game with a revolver  MOW!     i still post one now and again for a few laughs         MSTRMSTR, i have some C+R'S and some beltfeds that are not spoken for if your serious drop me a private  email   cheers mike

• Like 2

It's become a market more for investors and not shooters it seems.  I bought my guns to shoot and collect due to the history but it seems like more and more people are more interested in a quick buck.  Prices right now are stupid anyhow.  When an Uzi is nearly the same money as a WH "28 Thompson there is something in the water lol

As for us "oldsters", we have heirs!

Good supply of pre-samples - prices are what transferables were when I got into NFA. Agree that there isn't a lot of collectible, transferable guns available, and when they do go up for sale they are pricey and don't last long. With the economy what it is, it would seem there would be more sellers.

Prices for the not so desirable transferable guns are higher than I thought I would see in my lifetime. Never expected a PS MAC-10 to be approaching $8K! If you like Stens, Reisings, West Hurley Thompsons - they are out there but no one is giving them away. I never bought one that was something I wanted to keep in the first place, so I'm not crying about that.

Use to see multiple transferable, original Colt M-16's, AR-18's, M-60's, M-14's , AC556F's, S&W 76's, Madsen M-50, (nice) WWII MP40 and Thompsons, and quality conversions of Galil, G3, HK33 (and other variants), AR-70, UZI, Swed K, MP-5, Sterling, FNC, and even AK-47 and Krinkovs.

My opinion: More collectors willing to pay big money seem to be getting into collecting. Prices will keep going up and availability will continue to be an issue; again just my option based on what I have observed over the long haul. Supply/Demand/Price; nothing new!

$32K to $38K for a register HK sear? Now that is crazy!

• 1 month later...

My guess is (and this is only a guess) that since a CLEO sign-off is no longer required, and people don't have to use the fiction of a trust, llc, etc. anymore, the purchasing market for transferables just got a lot bigger.  People are hanging on to what they have.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like there are a bunch of guns for sale on line. That said, the last three transferable guns I bought (MG42, US Property M1A1 TSMG, and a Colt M16A1 all minty with a bunch of accessories) were word of mouth local sales (all from the same person at 75% of market). The last three I sold were to someone from one of these boards who simply contacted me to ask me a question. I was not looking to sell, but one thing led to another. Made a package deal on three nice collectables (nice matching MG34, MP40 with major gun corporation prior ownership, and a Colt ArmaLite 601 all with bunches of nice accessories) at 75% of market value. I would have gotten much more had I posted them online as would the person I bought from, but it seemed fair since I bought mine at that price and buyer paid fast cash. Deals on nice things are out there. 

Edited by Waffen Und Bier
Thought of more stuff.

Really not a whole lot out there or anything cool, just the same grinder
OLY/SGW M16's 
Mac's
Uzi's
WH Thompsos 
Reisings

All changing hands with less than 3 years ownership and everyone wanting big return on investments.

Haven't been doing this nearly as long as most of you guys have but been here and at SAR/KCR to see its really taking a dip in cool stuff for sale and big upswings in the market. Getting to the point now where myself and my business partner are just keeping everything we take in because it will never be that cheap again.
Heck when I got started my first was a LL for 8k now they go for 15k, If I would have found more back then I would have bought a handful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One dealer told me it's just time.. 9 months for a form 4 to him and then another 9 months to get a form 4 to the customer.

Give or take a few months... figure 15 to 20 months that the gun is off the sales floor. The dual tax scenario also causes the guns to rise exponentially.

Edited by mstrmstr

• 10 months later...