Russian AVT-40 Transferable Question

Austringer

I think they are going between 13-18k from the few ive seen sold over the past year or so. They are OK, quite controllable considering the cartridge fired. However, they can be pretty temperamental when it comes to ammo and gas issues. Typical crude soviet production and good luck finding parts in any quantity. If youre trying to get into a rifle cartridge in this price range theres better choices in my opinion, such as 1919, m2 side plates, various ww1 beltfeds, vickers, etc, FNC though lacking in the parts department, and m14's come to mind. 

video on the avt 40

IF you like rubber suits and "cats o nine tails"   you might be okay.  i had a select fire when the semis were cheep and couldn't keep a stock on it. Its been a while , but seems like it broke something every time it went out.  when i learned to johnsons paste wax the ammo and not get too wild , things got better but the wood never did. i even reinforced the butt with steel rods and glassed it. but who wants a black svt40?  i still have a large graveyard of barreled recievers somewhere.  want a light rifle MG?  you can still get a FACTORY BM-59 select fire for less than $11k and they run like a champ, but like all such beasts HARD to control. still the best deal out there!  GOOD LUCK! mike todd

I've got a couple of SVT-40's. 1 mag each, and good luck finding original spare mags or parts. After firing the gun, I can't imagine why someone would want a full auto version. WWII pictures rarely showed the gun in action, but instead stuck in the ground, bayonet first.

Detailed field strip helped me understand why the gun was produced only 3 years (?)

Nice bayonet and sheath though! (I had to say something positive).

Unless you are just looking for something rare and not planning on shooting it a lot, I would consider a lot of other guns before dumping the money on an AVT-40. If versatility, durability, reliability, cheap parts, accessories, and marketability if you have to sell, outweigh paying a bit more for the gun, I would think you would want to look into others.

This is where I usually say get a FN FAL or clone, but I will try to be more objective (Of course you can't go wrong with the "Right Arm Of The Free World"!).

HK 91/G3 or clones would be a good choice. Plenty of variations, parts, accessories, and 20 round mags as cheap as $3. They even made transferable belt fed conversions (HK 21). I'm almost certain it is the only modern belt fed in .308 that is transferable other than the M-60.

The BM-59 is like a short M-14 and are a reasonable choice as far as cost (footnote to MIKE TODD) if you don't mind the lack of a pistol grip. Not sure how common original mags are though. Not very accurate compared to the M-14 ( consider that comment is coming from my experience of 40 years of less than spectacular marksmanship!).

Lots of options! Good Luck!

remember we were talking SELECT FIRE light rifle , not a SHORT RANGE target gun.  I not on the BM-59 band wagon , but it is a VERY reasonable entry class 4 weapon that will give dependable service, IS VERY COMFORTABLE in semi mode and original mags are common at $60 and less ea. the Nigerian pistol grip stock is out there for about the same as an m-14 e2 stock. I also LIKE  the FAL , while it will cause more discomfort after a full days shooting , parts are easy and still reasonable.

At the recent "big auction houses" I acquired 3 different transferable BM-59'S for less than $30K even with the buy prem. the price made me do it. I had like most ignored them totally and the shoot very well .  that's my 2 cents on the subject  mike

On 10/10/2016 at 8:57 AM, heckinohio said:

To me, there are two real clunks to shoot.........AVT is the worst.  MP 44 is not far behind.  May be slow rate of fire in the MP 44 instance, or heavy bullets.....???

I have both, will never fire either again.

PJH

Interesting..... after shooting a lot of MP40's and owning several, my goal was always to get a MP44. After finally getting one (all original, C&R with low round count)  I found it to be crudely put together, poor fit and finish, and when I shot it, hardly anymore controllable in full auto than an AK47! It also felt and sounded like it was about to fall apart everytime I shot a burst. I kept it for all of 5 months before selling it. As soon as the stash of ammo I got for it ran out, I had no desire to buy and shoot any more!

On 9/22/2016 at 11:37 PM, Austringer said:

What are transferable AVT-40s going for, no C&R?  Also, are these any good?  Heard both good and bad.

Saw on the Market Board, you are selling one? Maybe you can share your thoughts? Just thought it would be a plus to have an actual owner's comments (?)

I'm selling one, I was asking about them on the board as I picked one up recently, but it's not really in my area of interest or collecting so figured I'd pass it down the line to someone else who would appreciate it more.  As far as they go, once the proper gas setting is found for the lot of ammo, they run great.