WTS: M60 with lots of extra parts

jeephill

DISCLAIMER: I had this weapon listed in June for a higher price and it sold but the purchaser declined after providing pictures for his review. This gun was sold to me in 2004 by a good friend. He truly believed it to be a factory Maremont gun. It is not. It is a Maremont, but the rails were apparently rewelded(i can't tell).
I have since done a great deal of research on it. Here is the story as I have been able to figure: An owner of an Army/Navy store close to where I resided, bought cut M60's way back in the 1980's. If they were cut in easy to repair areas he had them welded and then registered them legally. This gun was transferred to John Stemple as a Maremont M60(I have a picture or the form and it states the gun is a complete weapon; SN, barrel length, etc.). I do not know what Mr. Stemple did with the gun, and his name is not stenciled or engraved into the weapon. The gun was then sold to a gentleman in the town where I lived and to another, and another, and another. All within 25 miles of each other. Then, I purchased the gun from my friend. 

Gun in good condition. Functions flawlessly. No round count. Massive collection of extra parts(listed below). Pictures on request. 

M60 parts: 3 op rods, 1 stripped top cover, 1 complete top cover, 2 bipod legs, 2 forearms, 5 recoil springs, 1 gas op rod, 1 brass catcher- E&L, 1 scope mount(night vision compatable), 2 slings, 4 ammo boxes, 4 partial stripped barrels, 2 complete barrels with bipods, 7 barrel bags, 8 recoil spring guides, 2 "D" sites, 3 bipod yokes, 1 cocking slot cover, 1 cocking handle, 1 feed pawl arm, 4 gas pistons, 2 barrel latches, 1 flash hider, 1 feed lever, 7 complete bolts, 2 gas expansions, 1 gas entry, 1 wire pliers, 5 pistol grip spring clips, 4 top cover springs, 2 recoil yokes, 1 trigger guard, 7 selector levers, 1 rivet set, 4 sears, 1 trigger, 1 firing pin, 6 ejector springs, 5 gas clips, 4 extractors, 12 ejectors, 11 pins for pistol grip, 2 complete top cover pins, 3 partial top cover pin parts, 1 barrel mit, 1 multi tool, 1 M60 bolt and barrel go/no go gauge, 5000 links( 1 5 gal bucket) or more, 1 half track armor shield, 1 pintel mount with ammo can holder, M122(Vietnam era) tripod and goose neck pintel, 4 feed trays, 4 ammo hangers, 79 cardboard ammo boxes and bandoleers, some M60D parts. 

M60E3 parts: 1 op rod, 1 Bipod, 2 butt stocks, 1 complete trigger group, 1 stripped trigger group, 2 front grips, 1 heat shield, 1 sling swivel, London Bridge soft ammo box, 1 complete long barrel assembly.

Gun and all parts, $40,000.

Gun only, $36,500.

Parts only, $8,500

7-7-2016 132.JPG

The gun needs to be marked with the name and address of the outfit that remanufactured the gun, if it is a reman. You would do a service toward selling the gun, and as the current registrant you are eligible to receive this information, if you called ATF and asked for the name of the "manufacturer/importer" listed on the original registration archived in the NFRTR. You will then know for sure what it's provanance is, and you might be surprised and discover that it is not a reman, and therefore worth more. FWIW

Edited by BRMCII

On a Maremont M60 the trunion would be typically be the registered part.  If the trunion shows evidence of being cut an rewelded then the gun would have generally have needed to be remarked at the time it was then registered.   The other 90% of the gun (rails, channels....effectively the whole receiver box) can be replaced without triggering any marking requirements and can be done by anyone in the case of owning registered trunion. 

Effectively you have a Maremont gun with some work probably done to it over the years regardless of who may have registered it originally.  There are unregistered Maremont trunions still around that can be attached to registered rails/channel assemblys and effectively give you a  "maremont" gun if that's important?  I don't personally see much value in the maremont brand, but do see more value in a registered trunion due to the fact most of the rest of the gun can be replaced.

Calling atf and asking is a crap shoot at best, A written request is the way to go, but the response could take years unfortunately.    When the gun is transferred next, the original manufacturer will have to be listed or they will request that it be changed to reflect the original information even if it's  incorrect.   If the guy at the army/navy store wrote maremont, then that's what it will be on the next transfer.

Thank you both for the information and advice. Indeed I have pictures of several remaining UNCUT "sister" trunions that are legally registered to the son of the late owner. As stated welds were limited to the rails according to the son of the late owner of the guns/trunions. The bottom line on this M60 is that it runs great and comes with lots of extras. I will call ATF and make the written request, but I believe that it was registered appropriately. As another collector/manufacturer recently told me: "If a wrecked/totaled '68 Shelby GT500 that is rebuilt correctly any less a Shebly?"

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, jeephill said:

Thank you both for the information and advice. Indeed I have pictures of several remaining UNCUT "sister" trunions that are legally registered to the son of the late owner. As stated welds were limited to the rails according to the son of the late owner of the guns/trunions. The bottom line on this M60 is that it runs great and comes with lots of extras. I will call ATF and make the written request, but I believe that it was registered appropriately. As another collector/manufacturer recently told me: "If a wrecked/totaled '68 Shelby GT500 that is rebuilt correctly any less a Shebly?"

SADLY YES IT IS LESS.!  its nothing more than a rebuilt Shelby and worth 1/2 an original. just check the barret Jackson and mecham auctions. in fact a "reconstruct " cant even be presented at many auction venue's.  "restored" a completely different story than a rebuilt wreck.  TO ATTEMPT TO PRESENT a "remanufactured example as being equal to my original maremont is so absurd  it hardly justified a response!!  ANYTHING TRANSFERABLE has a legitimate place, but like the "untouchables in india" its place is preordained and not possible to change. Watching these attempts to make substandard examples acceptable keeps things exciting and interesting when 95% of the offerings are sales samples.  when it takes two paragraphs of "reasoning and explanation" to justify an example, that say's it ALL

You are entitled to your opinion. This weapon is not "substandard".  It is a Maremont. Agreed it's not a safe queen like you and some of the other "perfect people" of the world would like. I didn't have to explain anything to you or anyone else but chose to because the gun had been represented to me incorrectly as a factory original gun. It is still one of a handful of transferable M60's out there and runs as good as any. Go wax your Kia. 

• Like 1

YEP I AM entitled to my opinion, at least until November. AT the same time, I DO respect YOUR right to express your opinion. MY " SUB STANDARD" statement only applied to the VALUE!  incorrect information when peddled long enough tends to be accepted as correct. Those of us that were fortunate to be present before rebuilds and the like appeared must share the facts just to keep the record straight. You did a very good job of describing the build of your example as you understood it.  The Shelby statement  was the hangup is all.  I too have an additional reweld M-60 that my guests  use to spray KIA'S and the like.  we don't wax them in the normal sense and like your's it runs flawless.  it actually cost me 3 times more than my Maremont  ( $8.5k ) and was a good buy at the time.  The BEST part?  someone had the foresight to add more transferables to the registry. GOOD LUCK WITH THE SALE!

It has been several decades since 1986. I run even my NOS guns to a manufacturer to upgrade finish and function for good safety reasons. I was an active NFA dealer back in the day and we knew to factory purchase every M-60  that the registry would allow and a LOT of Maremont trunnions  were registered. Many of those are sold represented as factory guns.  I purchased partial guns (trunnion with sheet metal) Maremont factory direct and the papers still say M-60.  Factory guns should and do transfer with originating provenance. If no provenance then it is just  another m-60.  Buying a trunnion registered gun is by far the best IMHO since it is nearly forever repairable.  I also believe that any military manufactured Machinegun regardless of name are the same value. Read that as since 1957 a lot of M-60's have been produced prior to Saco-Maremont and almost NONE have original parts.  FYI- to get to the front of the line we had to pool resources and purchase a large lot before the cutoff.  

Do you have photos of the gun? especially the trunnion and left side of trunnion?  There are interested parties..

Edited by mstrmstr