what's up with the prices for .22LR ammo?

Started back in '08 with the teleprompter in cheifs anointing. Went from under 10 bucks to a little over 20. 20 didn't seem TOO bad so we all paid it...then in '12 when over half of our fellow Americans were brain dead enough to "vote" the king back in is when it went really stupid! Guys were asking AND GETTING as much as 90 for a brick...let that sink in. The factories couldn't keep up with demand because guys were buying everything they could find fearing it would be banned. Heap big pile of money was made in that time frame. I still don't see it very often in my area, mid West, but every now and then a shop will get it and it's around the 40 dollar mark. I haven't had to buy any in years because I buy in bulk but I still shoot my 22s cuz they're FUN.  When the time comes I'll pay the piper for more fun. 

Side note, I've started shooting a 22 air rifle, in town kinda "ok", and it's quite fun as well. For about 200 bucks you get a quality piece and if nothing else shoot into a trap and recast them! 

Hope that helped a little

Pete

Yea I remember when the buying panic was in full force, it's still continuing on. Only difference now is everybody trying to buy up anything and everything AR related, 80% lowers, complete kits, etc. AK stuff notwithstanding but to a lesser degree than AR. 223 ammunition is of course impossible for stores to keep in stock but at least the prices aren't much higher than they used to be, and at least there isn't a shortage of it anymore like. There was back about three to five years ago. I remember back in 2013 the guy from autoweapons.com was charging a cool THOUSAND BUCKS FOR A CASE OF 1000 ROUNDS OF STANDARD 55GR TARGET AMMO. That was rediculous. O.o 

I'm considering getting into blackpowder shooting. At least even 22 ca percussion supplies aren't going to break the bank or my wallet. As of today anyway who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Edited by motorcycling951
blackpowder stuff is cheap

22 ammo was still available at as little as $14.95 for a brick just several years ago. I remember going by the Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters store in Middleberg Heights on the way to the Berea gun show in Ohio. Two three to four foot tall PALLETS of Federal 22lr, 550 round bricks (milk carton style) were by the door. Normal price was 19.95, on sale for 14.95. Dang, I should drop $300/400 and stock up. So I did coming back from the show.

A week later, Sandy Hook happened. THAT'S when the sh!t hit the fan. $100 to 90 a brick was normal...IF you could find any.

It's been 3 years now. 22 ammo is back, but it's still not down to where I'm comfortable buying it.

I'm now WORKING at the new Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters store in Milan Ohio and the best price we have is 325 round brick for 24?

things have calmed down a bunch in the san Antonio area. you can get all the 500 rnd bricks you want for $30 now. mini mags are .08 a rnd it was bad for a while one chap looked for 50 rnds 2 yrs NO LUCK and I gave him 2 boxes to stop his tears. I don't think the price will ever drop below these levels again. after she gets in office we wont be able to shoot anymore anyway. if we do it will be center fire and mission hot

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

About 5 cents a round at the big box stores for brand name although "specialty" .22 is still higher than 5.56.  

I reload  so my costs are minimal for 5.56 and I have yet to run out of projos I bought by the barrel, 2600 pounds,( 55 gal drums) in 1983  from the DRMO at .08 per pound as scrap but they were unused. The scrappers didn't want mixed metals then and could care less about projectiles so I was in hog heaven. Then the Gov decided to wipe the small businesses out of existence. And so it goes.  American greed.  I have some .22 guns but except for practice for the American Marksman last Summer that was it..not shooting .22 anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Never really noticed a big change in price, considering I haven't seen anything getting any cheaper in the long run. Eventually inflation will make everything outrageously expensive as the dollar will continue to lose value, but thats another story.

All ammo is up because the components ( especially metals) have gotten more expensive. The fabricated issues with lead and the EPA didn't help things, and the hysteria about a rumored ammo ban only added further to the hoarding mentality. Supply/ Demand / Price? My opinion.

Edited by BDMERC
  • Like 1

Yea the panic factor is exactly what caused the inflation. It's just that the price increase specifically for 22 ca ammo just took me by surprise.  Why? Because every other time that a gun ban goes into effect, there's always a provision in there that says specifically that any of the guns that are chambered for 22 rimfire ammo is EXCLUDED from the ban. xD