Building A New RR AR upper

90lxracer

After going back and forth about selling the SP-1 I have.. I'm back on the keeping it side of the fence..

With that, the upper that was on the gun is not original, and has a shot out barrel. So.. It's time to make this shooter rifle, shoot, and shoot well

I have a brand new fire control group, and the receiver is in great shape. I also have a adams arms piston system that was on the gun and in good shape. I have a Lance direct thread can that I'm going to run too. 

So the question is what kind of steps should be taken to help with barrel climb, balance and reliablity? 

Might we get some more information?

You mention you have an SP1, and you also say you had an Adams piston system on it.

Is it an a1/a2/a4 style upper? What is the length of your barrel? This last one is particularly important for balance, especially if you're running suppressed.

Edited by Craigan

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2016 at 7:42 PM, Craigan said:

Might we get some more information?

You mention you have an SP1, and you also say you had an Adams piston system on it.

Is it an a1/a2/a4 style upper? What is the length of your barrel? This last one is particularly important for balance, especially if you're running suppressed.

I'd build an A4 upper so totally flat. 10.5" barrel, short, but enough to stabilize the round.  

Edited by 90lxracer
typo

• 1 month later...

To control the weapon in sustained fire  you might want to experiment with the various buffer / spring combos advertised for the purpose 

( endine is a personal favorite ) and a effective Brake is a must . You can spend lotsa dough on various brakes but imho , the Miculek Brake at around 40 Bucks is a dandy . Stand on your hind legs and put double alphas on a uspsa target @ 30 yds with 2 rd hits out to 50yds tickling off 2 -3 rd bursts.

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 5:41 AM, 90lxracer said:

After going back and forth about selling the SP-1 I have.. I'm back on the keeping it side of the fence..

With that, the upper that was on the gun is not original, and has a shot out barrel. So.. It's time to make this shooter rifle, shoot, and shoot well

I have a brand new fire control group, and the receiver is in great shape. I also have a adams arms piston system that was on the gun and in good shape. I have a Lance direct thread can that I'm going to run too. 

So the question is what kind of steps should be taken to help with barrel climb, balance and reliablity? 

Well, since you mentioned that you plan to utilize a direct thread sound suppressor, that pretty much rules out most muzzle brakes or muzzles devices, practically speaking.  The reason being that they usually need to be indexed, which means they need to be torqued on in order to stay indexed.  Therefore, it's not realistic to try to use one, in lieu of a thread protector, when the sound suppressor is not being used, because do you really want to have to put your upper in a vice to break loose the muzzles device every time you think you might want to use your direct thread sound suppressor?

As such, the best bet is most likely to just leave the direct thread suppressor on there full time, and perhaps pick up a thread protector for the occasional times you wish to shorten and lighten the gun up by shooting without the sound suppressor.