Form 3 / Form 4 Processing Question

Question for those more experienced than me:

I'm considering the purchase of a SBR from an out-of-state individual.  As I understand it, the seller would transfer the gun to a FFL/SOT in my state, tax paid, on a Form 4.  Then a second Form 4 tax paid transfer from SOT to me.

My question is, should I expect the usual long processing time for the first Form 4 transfer to my SOT, or would the time be closer to that of a Form 3 since the transferee is a SOT?

Just wondering if I'm going to have two long wait times, or a short one followed by a long one.....

Thanks!

p.s. Yes we can have SBR's in IL now!!! :)

Edited by Nitzel

• 1 month later...

If it makes anyone feel better, I just got a call from NFA branch for a form 1 that I submitted in June.

They asked me to clarify some form questions over the phone instead of sending it back to me for corrections. I'd much rather deal with it that way instead of mailing them. And it means they're getting to them faster than I had imagined.

NITZEL, there are several reasons for the time span for all transfers. I believe the examiner that is assigned to the transfer is the primary factor. I have 17 pending form 4's at this time.  A dealer in az gave me a suppressor for my birthday and it required a form 3 to a texas dealer.  It took 8 months for that to clear (sigh). I then filed a form 4 and  mailed it to Atlanta in march 2016. My dealer here in texas just received the app form 4 ,  9/15/16  (yeah).   In nov 2014 I mailed 5 form 4's and none of those have cleared to date?  aug 2015 , 7 form 4's non cleared,  Jan 2016 , 3 form 4's non cleared.  Feb 2016. along with the suppressor , I mailed 2 other form 4's in march 2016 that have not cleared.  I don't know for sure but I believe the transferor is assigned an examiner that handles all of the forms for that dealer, a while back I viewed a post that listed the performance of all the examiners . Some had done 5 times what the others had in the same time period. In fairness quite a few of them are new trainee's, and that may explain the number's.  I have talked directly to several of them recently and in EVERY case find them courteous and diligent. Also most of my purchases were C+R's. In the past some of which were not handled properly, with many required details missing from the forms. Because the trainee's are being closely monitored, so are the forms and several have required updates after received.  I know of 2 transfers recently where the item was prior approved on a form 4 and when sold, were found to be  pre may sales samples and denied. one unit had sold for $32k and is now worth maybe $12k at most. Along with the cost the time is a major culprit in this field and it requires patience to play.  The folks in Atlanta and martinsburg are certainly getting no help from our current administration and thank god they have ignored us so far, as I fear the could really jam things up.  CHEERS MIKE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gents..........I provided a local congressman a proposal as a law or whatever the proper title would be for a coverall 60 days required turn around for any document involving/requiring any govt office or official approval where any one of the document involveds is a private citizen.........this would be for any & all documents, fee or taxed ones especially.

Any comment???

PJH

Edited by heckinohio

That's an excellent method heck - you could even narrow it specifically to the NFA by adding a sentence similar to that which requires a 90 turnaround on explosives license applications and 60 days on firearms license applications.  Specifically, 26 U.S.C. 5812 and you could create subsection (a)(7) "The Secretary/Attorney General shall approve or deny any application to make or transfer a firearm within 90 of receipt of a properly executed application".  I had some uncomplimentary text about the cost of buying 278 votes and a signature, but have turned over a new leaf.