SIG 556 Reassembly Help Needed

garysgun

I just got a semi auto SIG 556 SBR rifle and when I went to assemble the upper to the lower it will not close up? I tried different selector positions etc. and no luck. I put the front pin in and when I swing the lower upward I cannot get it to close up all the way. It is about 1/8" open and of course the rear pin will not line up.  I am not one to force anything so I am doing something wrong. I also watched 2 Youtube videos but saw no tips.  Any help would be appreciated. It looks like a real well made gun. Thanks Gary M

I talked to the previous owner and he said it was a tight fit.  Well I got the front pin in then on top of a table pushed down VERY HARD on the upper Receiver and with the pistol grip down on the table managed to get the rear pin in then tap in in the rest of the way. This sure seems out of spec to me. The bolt cocks and the trigger works but I would not want to have to bring a hammer and punch where ever I went with this gun. Has anyone else had such problems? I thought about setting the upper in my Bridgeport Mill and open up the hole one way .010 to .015. Any help would be appreciated. Gary M.

Is the gun new or shot very little? If so, I would shoot the hell out of it... before messing with reaming anything...lub areas with grease... function test . ... may take a few hundred rounds if operates without malfunction keep shooting....then take apart and inspect for wear....if starts to jam immediately ...STOP  ! out of spec...needs adjustment....

It is a very little use gun and inside and out looks new. What is the skinny lever on the far right hand side and the upper closes down on it? It sticks up above the lower and when closing it pushes it down. I was thinking this was too long as I can but the rear pin in and it goes in easy but not the front pin as it will not close up.

"when  assembling is hammer cocked with safety on? "   Does this make a difference?  I did have the hammer cocked. I never have any luck posting pictures here??  It is not a release lever?? but if you open yours it is on the right hand side and when you close the action up it pushes down.  If I remember right it is about at the back or rear side of the mag well but way over on the right.  Send me you e-mail address and I can send a picture.  garysgun@aol.com  is mine. Thanks, Gary M

On August 3, 2016 at 11:52 PM, garysgun said:

It is a very little use gun and inside and out looks new. What is the skinny lever on the far right hand side and the upper closes down on it? It sticks up above the lower and when closing it pushes it down. I was thinking this was too long as I can but the rear pin in and it goes in easy but not the front pin as it will not close up.

Email sent.

Edited by JoshNC