Liberty Torch Films

WTK: Value of Saw Cut 1928 Thompson kit

5 posts in this topic

I'm selling a saw cut Auto Ordnance 1928 Thompson kit with US made barrel.  Two USGI stick mags and 3 aftermarket drums.  Receiver is cut per BATF spec.  All parts on the kit look brand new.  Cuts do not go through the branding on the top of receiver and ejection port is not cut through.  All markings are intact.

What is a value range for the kit?  Sorry for no pics, I currently have it on consignment and am getting an offer of around $1700.  As this is prime for a post sample build and getting harder to find I was thinking it worth closer to $2250.  

Any thoughts are appreciated. If someone is truly interested I'll pull the kit and send pics.  Thanks.

Why would someone pay $2250 for a cut up gun when post samples are running in the $2500-$3000 range?  But on a serious note-$1250-$1500 is going rate for kits anymore.  Perhaps a little more for a saw cut receiver but you have a limited market for just the receiver.  

In my opinion, a kit as you describe in good condition averages right around 2k.  The $12-$1500 kits generally have no receiver or it has been torch cut in several places or has mismatched receiver pieces.  The fact yours is missing an original barrel sets it back some, also, you don't mention if it still has the adjustable Lyman sight or if the serial# on the lower matches the receiver.  Still, if it was mine, I would hold out for a $2,000 offer.....I bet you'll get it. 

Thanks for the replies.  I decided to take the offer on the table.  It's a good compromise between your two estimates.  Much appreciated!

Last double cut kit I bought was a general demill with a bad barrel and bolt for $1200. After sourcing a new bolt and barrel I was in it for about $1500 with some other small parts. Rewelded it and its one of the best shooting Thompson I've ever owned.