Need sources for books, PDF files, other methods

Hi guys I know alot of you are into building your own firearms from parts kits and such, I need some assistance with this. :)

Okay how and where can I locate instructions for how to assemble and or construct firearms including welding and brazing frames and the like. I just recently decided to start doing this as a new hobby, but I can't find too many sources of information for how to do this. I've tried amazon and a couple others but THE PROBLEM WITH THAT IS THAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PARTICULAR TITLES ARE, SO CAN'T SEARCH FOR EXACT TITLES SINCE I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES TO ASK FOR.

One thing I forgot to mention, I'm searching for titles and sources for straight up building firearms. I'm not looking for just information about illegal conversion of semi-auto guns into machineguns, I want to stay on the right side of the laws here. Okay?

So can you people help me out in some way? At the moment the projects I'm about ready to begin are for building a Glock pistol, a Leinad derringer, and a semi-auto sten, and eventually a couple of AK and AR projects down the road. But can't start on any of these until I receive some type of instructions for doing so.

I know I should probably know these sources already, I used to be an FFL/SOT once upon a time. But that was then.

BOOKS, containing what you are looking for may not exist I'm afraid.   the incentive to produce them is just not out there,  along with the legal problems of misuse .like others on this board, I have done what you seek and was forced to stumble along making many mistakes as a result. I certainly received more help from others rather than finding my own way.  in the parts kit hey days of the 80's and 90's some fantastic web sites existed so that folks in your position could share developments and builds.  weaponeer .com comes to mind I believe??  as the kits disappeared, so did the boards I'm afraid, but some may still be out there. also in order to move more product, many vendors offered free info on how to proceed with their products and may still do so. many excellent manufacturers like "halo" sprang up and developed ways to apply new products to the varied parts kits at the time.  treasury in their infinite wisdom chose to hold them responsible for the misuse of said products, forcing them to change or quit completely.  Greed as always, also reared its ugly head as the first thought is many times " how can I benefit from this" .  Of course many trash pamphlets popped up offering ways to use their own products in a certain way, but most were exactly that , TRASH and worthless.   Your location is going to be an additional obstacle, as like myself lack of legal knowledge forces many vendors to include, " no sales to CA " in terms of sale.  DONT GIVE UP!   I hope things turn around for you !  cheers mike

Yea mike this sounds true and probably is true to a certain degree. However, it is still perfectly LEGAL even in California to make your own firearms so long as you comply with federal law and state law which isn't really as restrictive as you think it would be. Most of Californias gun laws are mostly written to include commercially manufacturered firearms, leaving alot of exceptions to homemade guns. And even with those restrictions they are mostly aimed twards semi-auto rifles and pistols. IE- barrel length. Overall length,  magazine capacity etc.

By and large home builders may produce thier own guns without containing the evil features and such then still remaining legitimate. :D

Oh one last thing that does -_-specially pertain to homemade guns in California. This state does have a law against ZIP GUNS. Thissometimes does come into conflict with home builders. I'm order to make your own guns and NOT get into trouble regarding building illegal zip guns the way to stay clear is that if your gun looks like a regular conventional gun then it shouldn't be accused of being a zip gun.  Now if you build something that looks like something James Bond would use then you're coming very close to the legal border.>:( 

Edited by motorcycling951
added in the zip gun stuff

Motorcycling951,

I have never been a FFL/ SOT once upon a time... but in my humble opinion seek out Gunsmiths/ SOT's  with this current experience...call them and explain your situation/ project many will be willing to help in some way if not directly then lead you on the right path... many of the old timers are reluctant to give out information...but the best policy is always in person.

Montana, I was kinda hoping maybe people like the ones you've suggested would possibly frequent this Web site and hopefully see this post and respond. That hasn't happened yet though. But everybody who has built a firearm had to have learned how from somewhere and somebody. There's got to be sources available on the net for books, building plans, PDF  files, he'll SOMETHING! :|

Shot gun news used to run quite a few home builder series.  They also published a compilation issue of gunsmithing projects.  I don't have the title handy.  American gunsmithing institute also had some stuff (how to build AK comes to mind).

hopefully these leads give you a start 

Ron 

The American gunsmithing institute charges SEVERAL thousand dollars for each course they offer. I can't justify spending that kind of money on this.

I mean after all I'm just wanting to build these things as a new hobby. I'm not trying to make a living at it. I'm not planning on selling anything that I make. So can't justify spending the money on courses like that. Several thousand dollars buys alot of other things like for example   parts kits or other tools whatnot. Anyone reading this come up with any ideas yet?

cant believe I forgot it but the handgun lead might have been why. that shotgun news compilation would be a great start for any assault rifle builds you might want to do. mr Mathews did a bunch a detailed builds and would be easy to follow. neck I think its even available to purchase in PDF on the webb site.i don't recall any handguns but he did a few pistol versions of machine guns. check it out  mike

• 2 weeks later...