Opinions on "Must Have" M2HB Spare Parts..?

Gorgon

Looking for opinions, most likely stemming from experience I'd suppose, as to which parts are "must-have" spares when taking a M2HB to machinegun shoots...please share your thoughts. 

Direct email: nick.gorgenNOSPAM@gmail.com

Remove NOSPAM from email. 

Thanks!

Nick

That is one of the most durable machines ever made, as far as machine guns go. My unit was still equipped with M2's with WW2 date codes in the early 2000's.

For taking her to a shoot, I would at least have two extra headspace and timing gauges, if they're not attached by chain to the barrel/s. 

Other than that, maybe a backup firing pin. But outside the headspace and timing, you have to almost try to damage the M2. And she'll likely still take it.

GORGON,   Craigan is 100% correct they run and run. in my 40+ yrs running them as a civilian, I have only broken 2 firepins and 1 extractor but I have seen another shooter break the cartridge groove on the face of the bolt. it was the first evening of a two day event and it was his first time out so we let him use our bolt for much of the shoot,

my kit contains 2 firepins  1 firepin extension  I extractor assembly  1 feed lever and a recoil spring ass along with a complete bolt. along with a case gauge and  head space set  when I start I don't want something I have at home to keep me from shooting

enjoy!!!  mike

Bump this up. Good thread @Gorgon Nick. I have for my gun: 

- Bolt

- Several Guide Rods

- Extractor

- Firing pin and guide 

- barrels

- bolt stud (these are tiny and easy to loose)

- both types of broken shell extractors (these are great) last time out had a case head seperarion and gun was headspace and timed perfectly. These can sometimes be a bear to remove. 

.50 stuff is still readily available and reasonably priced. I tend to try and stock up on small little springs and such that tend to disappear during cleaning. 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Exactly! Thanks Mike. I typically only shoot reloads from JNC as they run good and are really the only stuff that is affordable (at least for me). Broken shells are bound to happen. 

I plan on picking up a spare barrel extension as well. Although failure rate is low.. Mine is in excellent shape, but If your barrel extension had had serious heavy use its important to inspect it closely for fatigue and cracks. I have read of transferable guns blowing up due to a fatigued barrel extension which eventually lead to cracking, which eventually led to barrel working its way out of proper headspace, which led to out of battery discharge, which led to a transferable gun blown up. 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

See below video. 

personally next to such a blow up!  after lengthy discussion( like wisdom tooth work) found out it was a repaired extension from sarco?  oh me these days? when under $2k I understood but NOW. salvage needs to stay in salvage and that's it!!  the m-2 I one fantastic machine BUT capable of killing at both ends if you be numb nuts.

cheers mike

personally next to such a blow up!  after lengthy discussion( like wisdom tooth work) found out it was a repaired extension from sarco?  oh me these days? when under $2k I understood but NOW. salvage needs to stay in salvage and that's it!!  the m-2 I one fantastic machine BUT capable of killing at both ends if you be numb nuts.

cheers mike

Thanks for all your opinions, gentlemen. I basically ended up getting most every internal part, spring, pin etc. There's some sound advice in there on having two spares of certain parts, and the gauges...especially if you may be the only shooter with a Deuce at  an event. 

Thanks for the insights!

Nick