Mac 12 semi-auto pistol question

motorcycling951

I've recently seen for sale a complete parts kit for building a mac 12 pistol chambered in. 380. The auction states that the frame isn't included but he has an 80% frame available for an additional fee of course. So what I want to know is on this particular gun, whitch part is considered to be the frame? I'm considering buying it buy gotta know what I'm getting into first. I emailed the seller but he hasn't responded yet.  You guys here able to provide any assistance?  I finally heard back from the seller who assured me that the receiver is nothing but in flat peice of metal without any bends or drilling done whatsoever. So I guess that keeps it in the clear.

Edited by motorcycling951
update

in the mac system, the lower is the receiver IE; it contains the fire control components and accepts the barreled upper. some units allow a change in the magazine housing with no alterations.  hope that help with your quest. its always wise to ask when not sure !      KEEP  DIGGING   mike

18 minutes ago, motorcycling951 said:

Mike any chance you could maybe post a pic of one? 

pics? HA HA. you are talking to someone that has assembled over 300 belt fed nfa and several cannons  several 200 mph+ drag cars from scratch had 136 employees at one time  but cant DO ANYTHING WITH ELECTRONIC PHOTO'S despite spending more than $1200 on cameras and related. I have had many kind offers of assistance from other board members but have declined due to my ignorance of terminology. I live very remote, town takes most of a day and I cant get anyone to the ranch. if thay came they would most likely run as there is a live Vickers and rus maxum on the front porch. I have managed to text a few but its a pain. I am still working on it as I have several tons of surplus to sell , no family and  only hang out with my dog and a few cancer cells

The folded lower channel is the receiver

Flats are unrestricted however you fold the sides up it becomes a regulated firearm regardless of whether the mag housing/grip has been attached or the back plate

BATF established this doctrine in the early 80s

Wait, I thought it only became a frame if it has the necessary holes drilled in the frame. The bending part doesn't really mean that it has legally become the frame or receiver yet. Look at AR and AK  80% receivers, they are already bent into the correct position but do not have any of the holes drilled in. Rendering them just scrap metal not a gun part.

holes mean nothing!    bending the flat show's intent. and intent is the same as "make".... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 80% OR ANY% RECEIVERS. that is a "industry" term that someone pulled out of their butt while attempting to sell something that did not exist as ATF OFIFICIALY STATED.  in several rulings and letters sent to vendor's its either a receiver or its NOT! they then started to declare what was, but it only applied to the exact requested example. vendors then foolishly tried to apply those standards to their example and whomsoever possessed was at risk.. hence "intent" came in to play   if you start to "make" you have violated the law   as I told you in my first response, the lower is the receiver in the mac. that would be true with OR without a mag housing or holes.   remember the add for the flat? most stated "mac receiver flats"  while some left out the word receiver as it can alert some searches.   cheers mike

Well alright, but if you buy the receiver FLAT then it isn't a gun part right? That seems to be what you just said. So I could legally buy it as it sits as nothing but the flat, then finish up myself into a semi-auto only frame and subsequently build it into a pistol from there. The seller emailed me last night assuring me that the item in question is still currently in the physical form of a flat peice of metal not bent or drilled or nothing.:D

9_9 oh something else, if you look on the atf website under the Q&AQ&A section for questions from people that aren't in the industry, you will find that there is a part listed that DOES ADDRESS THE ISSUE REGARDING THE 80% RECEIVERS YES THERE IS A Q&A QUESTION DIRECTED JUST FOR THOSE ITEMS. You should read it before screaming at me the way that you did about this subject. I'll go copy the Web Addy with the link and post it here later on.

SCREAMING??   never !! just trying to answer the question ! you wont get anywhere with that kind of response. and I can assure you no matter what you read anywhere officially that there is  no such thing as a % receiver as far as ATF  is concerned they only govern and recognize receivers and have stated that by letter which is available on the website. I have also seen letters sent to folks concerning inventory they have for sale. they clearly state they only regulate receivers it either is or it isn't and that's it. they do in fact state they are aware of the term and the offering but have nothing to do with anything less than a receiver. been there and done that. like others i made more than 100 "80%" browning receivers only to have them change what a receiver is in the middle of the run previously they ruled if it had shape and the charge slot it was not a firearm. then okay to cut it to shape it remains a "non gun", put one hole or cut the charge slot, it is now a 100% receiver    over and over again they stressed we only regulate firearms  make your own decision after all your actions only effect you nobody else. others reading these posts will also have to make their own decisions  cheers mike

Well I didn't win the auction anyway. It just ended this morning somebody evidently outbid me for the parts kit. The flat was just an extra thing the seller had offered to throw into the deal. The main items in the auction was a parts set for a mac 12 semi-auto pistol. So now the receiver FLAT for it is gonna become someone else's problem. It's just as well, I guess. I really don't need any potential headaches like the one you said anyhow. BTW the 80% receiver that I read the reading about on the atf website, there's a description of the one they were referring to an it is clearly a receiver for an AR-15 that has NO HOLES DRILLED AND HAS NOT HAD THE CAVATY OPENED UP FOR THE FIRE CONTROL COMPONENTS. THE WHOLE THING IS STILL TOTALLY SOLID THAT IS WHAT THE BATF CONSIDERS TO BE THE NON-GUN NON REGULATED PIECE OF STEEL. :ph34r:

THANK YOU the only reason I responded to this post was to keep someone from making a mistake. if a vendor uses a term to describe something that is incorrect I have found them telling folks other misleading info that could put them at risk.  I don't know how much experience you have in this industry but one cant compare one system to the other to define the receiver I have seen an ar15 "flat" it was a set of 4 pieces  that you screwed together . ATF criteria for something offered commercially is the amount of work required to get it operational.       the idea behind the mac was any small  organization could manufacture them with no major equipment while the AR was designed around a forged blank. so of course the AR- blank would resemble the completed unit.   in the days following the browning sideplate ruling and ATF stating they do not recognize the term % receiver. I have used the term "blank" to describe an incomplete receiver. by the way.  i use upper case to stress the point not to yell. good luck with your future projects you should find them VERY rewarding

cheers mike

• Like 1