mike todd

plagued with rusty links or surface rust in hard to get places?

6 posts in this topic

several months ago I bought one of these newer  case cleaners that use the stainless pins. it sat unsed until I could get to the bullet project I had in mind when I bought it   after spending 2 days in the parts washer / sink etc trying to clean 15 round srips for my turk Hotchkiss, I thought I would fire it up and was FLOORED with the results   rust strips that were destined for the trash , cleaned like new in less than 35 min  with NO FINISH LOSS?     next I had 1500 mg81-Z links completely covered with surface rust and NOT USABLE.  I was tempted to throw them in the trash many times . if you managed to load one , it would stick and stop the gun..  if offered for sale at all they are .50 or more each  same with my .308 Vickers links.. I tossed em in, ran it 45 min and they came out TOTALLY RUST FREE  and still have a black tinted "finish" . they load slick and pull perfect so SAVED.   now I was hooked and spent all day scrounging for junk to try.

links are going to be the major thing for me and this device, but it looks like it will have many other duty's as well

I put about 6 pounds of asstd carbine parts. all with surface rust totally. they were slated for glass beads and park. 1 hour later and they all looked NEW. of course a couple of the bands showed slight pitting, but this thing cant make metal.   only clean it !  they don't  need any refinish!! and are ready to use . to date I have used the pins ONLY. NO fluids , drop of soap. just clean DRY pins   the whole package was right at $130.00 at midway and it paid for itself with the first batch of links. NO MESS!!  do yourself a favor check it out.. also be sure to get the little magnet gadget they offer. it picks up all the pins  that bounce around while pouring them.                   I cant wait to get up in the am and find more rusty stuff to save! I hope this helps you folks like it did me.

CHEERS   MIKE TODD

1 person likes this

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

Good info.  What kind of cleaner is it exactly?  Thank you.  Jim

Thanks Mike.....that's great information.  I have a lot of rusty links around the shop, I am going to pick one up tomorrow and try it.  I think you just saved me a bunch of work!

jim / guys it looks like several mfgrs make these things i see one now from lyman. while cabellas offers it, mine came from midway and was the same price.. i bought 2 packages of pins and the switchable magnet  which is fantastic for cleanup.. they market it to clean brass fast along with a liquid cleaner.  i use it completely dry to clean up rust  and plan to use water and a capful of joy d wash shop to clean the pins. i just tumbled a group of rings and other small parts with rust and a bunch of nooks that would be hard to get at.  again , they came out PERFECT so don't be afraid to try something. please post any secrets you find while playing. cheers mike

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

I like Midway and will go that route.  Thanks Mike for the information and sharing with us.  Jim

pin tumbler update.  well after a week throwing everything I could in it, I FINALLY HIT THE WALL !  everything was clean, BUT THE PINS AND DRUM?   I put a bunch of Vickers small parts with a light surface rust  and ran the machine 1 hour. when I opened it up, everything was covered with a black residue, unlike anything I have ever seen.       of course the directions said to clean the pins after every use and I had ignored it like I do most printed matter.     again I played around and found "2 pumps" of joy dish soap with HOT water , it took 4 times flushing it clean between each to get them back. I then dryed the pins in the oven at 225 with a final acetone after drying.   this is going to be the worst part of the process, so any new things please share.... cheers mike