Will there be searches under the NFA and other selling forums?

Heimyguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Heimyguy said:

after playing with a bit it sure would be nicer to just have a dedicated search bubble in the forum area that doesn't need 4 clicks to get to the point of searching the forum your in. and a simple back button at search results. just sayin.....

Matt

Matt,

The bubble you are looking for is present within each board.  To only search the board you are on, click within the search field, and a selection list will appear to the left.  Just scroll down and select "This Forum."  Here's a screen shot:

56be3c23a2320_ScreenShot2016-02-12at3.08

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I've tried several searches and received no results.  Is there a trick to searching now?  For instance, If I search in the NFA Market Board for 'AC556' I get several results.  However if I search for 'M11' or 'M11/9' I get zero results.  Both of those search terms are clearly listed in titles on the current page I am searching, I just can't get the search engine to display those results.

Any tips for a newbie trying to figure things out?

Todd,

What I've found with this type of board software is that a minimum of 4 alphanumeric characters are necessary to perform a search.  It won't provide results for less than that.

For instance, if you search for "AR15" it produces many results.  

If you search for "M11" it will not produce any results, even though you can see an M11 posted on the same page.

It does not like non-alphanumeric characters, such as  the "/" in "M11/9," so it doesn't return a result.

The reason for all this is optimization, and flood control.  If someone is searching for every post that has the word "the" in it, it will take a lot of resources to return the results, particularly when more content has been posted, so the software has some built in features that prevent it from "overheating," so to speak.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Like 1

David-

Thanks for the reply.  That info makes sense, but it also appears to creates a potential gap in the search capabilities.  

Many items listed are commonly referred to with 3 characters that, based on your explanation, can no longer be identified via the search function.  For instance, M10, M11, MAC, MP5, UZI, M60, 249, M16, SP1, SBR, SBS, AOW, SWD, M50, DLO, STG are but a few that are commonly searched for in the NFA Forum.  

Will those posing be instructed to use new key words that are 4+ characters so they can be searched, if so, will those items be standardized to make things easier for those browsing the forums?  For instance, instead of M10 use MAC10 or instead of MP5 use HKMP5.  This would work in some instances, but not all.

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm new and am trying to figure out how to effectively buy and sell in the new format.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, BTK Firearms said:

David-

Thanks for the reply.  That info makes sense, but it also appears to creates a potential gap in the search capabilities.  

Many items listed are commonly referred to with 3 characters that, based on your explanation, can no longer be identified via the search function.  For instance, M10, M11, MAC, MP5, UZI, M60, 249, M16, SP1, SBR, SBS, AOW, SWD, M50, DLO, STG are but a few that are commonly searched for in the NFA Forum.  

Will those posing be instructed to use new key words that are 4+ characters so they can be searched, if so, will those items be standardized to make things easier for those browsing the forums?  For instance, instead of M10 use MAC10 or instead of MP5 use HKMP5.  This would work in some instances, but not all.

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm new and am trying to figure out how to effectively buy and sell in the new format.

Thanks again!

BTK Firearms,

It's built into the software, and I can't change it.  I tried it on Machinegunboards.com, mostly for searching 3-digit Thompson serial numbers.  It just doesn't work, because of the intensity of the search, and the software is built to protect itself.

No, we will not be making anyone change their 3 character items to 4 character to enable a search.  You will need to perform a visual search to find them.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

2 hours ago, BTK Firearms said:

David-

Thanks again!

Hi, here's how to handle three character searches like MP5 or M10:  Add the "wild card" asterisk character after your search term.  For example, MP5* or M10*.  What this does, in the case of the MP5 search, is return anything with MP5 and MP5 plus any additional follow on letters or numbers,  such as MP5K or MP5N.  This will solve your problem.

Giovanni 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wcbrowning said:

Hi, here's how to handle three character searches like MP5 or M10:  Add the "wild card" asterisk character after your search term.  For example, MP5* or M10*.  What this does, in the case of the MP5 search, is return anything with MP5 and MP5 plus any additional follow on letters or numbers,  such as MP5K or MP5N.  This will solve your problem.

Giovanni 

Giovanni-

THANKS for this clarification!!!  I was under the impression based on David's comments above that Alpha Numeric characters were the only option so I did not consider an asterisk as a valid character.  This appears to resolve my concern with the search functionality.

Thanks again,

-Todd

2 hours ago, wcbrowning said:

Giovanni 

Giovanni,

Thanks for this info.  I didn't know that.  

David