best AK to build for the home gun builder

Okay people I've asked this question before on other sites and even searched this question out on yiutube.

I want to build my own AK rifle using a parts kitcombined with an 80% finished receiver and it is going to be semi-auto only. What I'm wondering here is which is the best parts kit to use? There's so many different kits from cut up AK'S located every country across the globe. Which ones are the best quality and easiest to use for my build?  I've seen too many kinds that's why I'm getting kinda stumped as to the best ones versus the worst ones. 

Any and allrelative input will be appreciated. 

Thanks

I would suggest not using a blank for your 1st build. There is a lot that goes into using them and for a new builder I don't recommend adding that to the learning curve. As for kits so long as you get an imported kit and not a "USA" made kit you will be fine. Generally speaking the Romanian kits are the "low" end and Russian are the top end kits. Any of the Bulgarian, Yugo, Hungarian, Polish, Chinese, Egyptian, E German, will be great kits. Original barrel kits are more sought and will command a premium over USA or barrel less kits.

They can be exceptional kits to build, but you don't see them with their original barrels much these days. And those that do have them are pretty dark and frosty. They're beefier than your usual ak. Thick receivers like the polytech guns. 

They differ from the typical akm kit in that their receivers are 1.5 mm. They use a different center support rivet as a result, and their flats or blanks have to have the bulged (rpk type) front for the larger trunnion. Unless its a modern pap style one, in which I have no idea.

The only other thing I can think of is that the rear trunnion bit is sometimes a separate piece that you can remove and reuse in your build, and sometimes is milled into the rear of the receiver. The latter forces you to acquire the trunnion or mill down and drill the rear of the original receiver to fit.

Polish are available now and great kits. Bulgarian are pretty available and great kits. If you can find an original barreled kit it's even better. Romanian G kits are available in the mid to high $400s with original barrels. I personally don't like Yugo guns cause I think they are ugly. They are quality kits for the most part though.

• Like 1

Poiish kits? You really recommending that I use a gun parts kit made in Poland??? They have such strict gun laws over there  I doubt they really are very knowledgeable on firearms designs.  On another subject real quick.

There is a company in Poland that is currently producing a certain version of the ballistic knife. Remember those? I had two of the ballistic knives made by Florida Knife Works back in 1984. They lasted for a few years then the main Springs on both knives happened to break one day. I ended up selling the remaining knife components to a friend back in the early 1990's. Anyway the reason I bring this up is Do you know the name or Web site of the company in poland? I'd just like to see what design they're using..

• 3 weeks later...