Helpful info on an FNC

NaceH44

I am looking to buy my first NFA gun. There is an individual that is locally close to me that is looking to part with a couple of guns. One is an FNC and I am just wondering about availability of parts. I have heard that some say that they are rugged and nothing generally ever goes wrong with them. I would appreciate any advice, guidance or directions to a website that I might get info.

Thank you

Nace Heard  

They're well built. And you can still find their firing pins and springs on gunbroker. Green mountain makes barrels for them.

There's a possibility that the Indian/Pakistani version of them will be phased out soon, so we could be seeing parts kits someday.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Craigan said:

They're well built. And you can still find their firing pins and springs on gunbroker. Green mountain makes barrels for them.

There's a possibility that the Indian/Pakistani version of them will be phased out soon, so we could be seeing parts kits someday.

Thank you for your response and information.

NACE, i agree they are well built. i have both the folder and fixed variation in the collection and do enjoy taking them for a walk time to time. for a while they were quite reasonable compared to other .223/556 MG's  other than firing pins and a few VERY expensive Swedish variation's of furniture you wont find any parts. also optics can be a challenge. you mentioned you were a first time buyer? unless the price is VERY APPEALING i would suggest you search for a converted AR-15 COLT registered push pin lower. the only problem you will have with parts and acc is your wallet.  if something breaks at least you have an option. in  1978 i had a bolt bounce explosion in my MG-42 and destroyed the extractor.  a gun was around $500 back then. after more than a year of searching i had to pay an aerospace co  $1000.00 to make 10 replacements. of course now they are less than $10 but with the political climate being what it is don't count on much NEW stuff finding its way into our market place. it will take a long time to use up all the spares for the colt system out there

welcome and good luck with your choice    mike

• Like 1

Thank you very much Mike. I am still in contact with the man, and am going to go and see him and the guns in the near future. He is locally near me ,and wants me to come see and shoot them to be sure I have no regrets for buying. That is a blessing. He has the FNC, and two Mac 10 in 45 caliber. And two registered M16. One is a Colt and a little more than my price range or convincing my wife. But seems to be a good price for what I have seen on here. The other is stamped and made by a local gunsmith from the eighties from Frankston, Tx. I believe his name to be James Barr, and the gun is stamped Barr Arms. The only thing is it is not a name brand receiver, and don't know if that would be a deciding issue. It is in a gun/machine shop now getting refinished and all worked on. Am I correct that I should always be able to get parts and keeping it working? And wouldn't I be able to put different uppers, and maybe a few uppers of a different caliber? Thanks again for advice. This is a major purchase and want to make the best decisions.

Blessings Nace 

Nace,

The FNC is a very rugged and well built gun but it is one of those that fits into a collection. I would not recommend it as a first NFA purchase. It is a one trick pony and spare parts and accessories are scarce and expensive. I have one and love it in its as manufactured state. I've read that the firing pin is the weak point of the system but I've never seen one break. Fortunately there are a few companies making replacements.

Now, with respect to M16's, that is a wise first NFA purchase. It is a platform and can assume any roll. It can be a .22 machine gun, a 9mm SMG, a 5.56mm carbine, automatic rifle, and LMG.

I would have no qualms with an aftermarket lower especially if I was looking for a shooter. I would verify who made the lower as there are some that are more/less desirable. The SGW lowers have a reputation for being slightly out of spec but this can be easily corrected. The Essential Arms lowers have a reputation for being soft but they can be easily repaired if they get out of spec. The more desirable lowers are the PAWS and Rock Island.

I would take the seller up on his offer and go to the range to try them out. If the aftermarket gun runs as well as the Colt then there is no reason not to save the difference. The nice thing about the M16 lower is that it can be built and rebuilt in any configuration you desire. I would not let its present configuration be a determining factor on whether or not to purchase.

• Like 1