NFA transfers how long, ATF created holdups?

momo4

I sold a C&R DD and it's taking forever to complete the transfer. We are on two denials for what seems like made up reasons for the denial. Expired C&R FFL the first time that was not true and claims of it not being a C&R the second time, also not true. It's in for a third time! is this unusual? the buyer believes this is Obama administration BS. The buyer has done several transfers and he is having these kind of problems or similar with all of them. 

My last MG transfer went through in three months door to door (Form 4 individual) and covered the 1/7/2016 to 4/8/2016 timeframe.  There are two things going on from my point of view:

After a recent debacle where MGs were gradually "morphed" into more expensive models, the ATF is actually monitoring form correctness much more closely.  Unfortunately, because they did not do so in the past and were not strict, some transfer histories look out of whack.  There also seems to be many new people at the NFA branch which is causing confusion and delays.

I spoke with NFA branch just yesterday. A purchase I made in early March has been in "pending" status since March 25. The agent said that there's an enormous log of submissions (which I believe) now that we know 41f is coming.

But, I also would not be shocked to hear that the agency was up to shenanigans, either.

The presidential oversight aspect is as false now as ever (notice when average wait went from 10-5 months no one said it was the president or no explanations as to why Bush 43 sped the process up term 1 then slowed it down term 2?).  3 million in transfer revenue per month as people run to skip the background checks, then prepare for the other floodgate when we don't need to ask permission from the local Gendarmerie any more.

Maximized is correct - many registrations have been personalized to the taste of individual registrants over time and are now not consistent with the firearm or the original registration or simply corrected from an erroneous birth certificate and now the correct data is a change from the original.

it seems like a "crap shoot" and time will vary with the different examiner doing  the transfer.  I have one pending since spring 2013, another from fall 2014 which is a JOKE. I applied for 2 identical breda 30 from the same contract to chile . both had 2 digit serial # and were 4 numbers apart.  completely original, no rewatt , etc mfgr listed as Italian govt . one was approved as C+R, the other not. forms were defaced with red ink and no chance to appeal without a totally new package .  cleo , prints, check etc.. I complied after7 months got a letter " forms lost" please  resubmit . complied again and sent copy of approved form for its brother along with detailed pics of both. now I get , its under review..  I wont mention the other example  submitted 4 times due to " lost forms"   I cant imagine any other govt agency capable of losing forms  how bout my tax bill?

Thanks for the replies. Can't say I'm not happy to be alone on this. 

A wise man said that there need not be direct orders from the top to frustrate lawful activity if it's not acceptable to one political party, it comes naturally to like minded political appointees. The IRS comes to mind. 

To think we have argue against a political party on a daily basis dedicated to making government bigger, more bureaucratic and corrupt is absolutely insane. To know they are guaranteed half the votes every four years is even more insane.  

If the ATF is indeed under pressure because of an unusual amount of transfer requests. Does it make any sense that examiners would create MORE work for themselves by denying transfers for frivolous reasons? How many people just let it go and don't resubmit and start the process over. None is my guess. The whole thing stinks of corruption or a mind blowing amount of incompetence that must be permeating every government agency if you are to believe that. Probably both in a system where no one is held accountable.   

Edited by momo4

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue as Mike. Disapproved with no  reason given and no attachment enclosed.  When I finally did get through to the examiner who disapproved it, she said she had to check with her supervisor. She never called me back. She never returned any messages left for her. I resubmitted the transfer. A check of the status revealed pending a couple months after resubmission. After almost a year from initial submission, I had the LE agency the weapon was coming from call ATF. They couldn't locate the application. Please email it to us, they said. It was approved that day. Been doing this for over 30 years and a bunch of transfers. Only about 10% went quickly and smoothly. The rest were lengthy, nasty or holier than thou attitudes, lost forms, non returned calls. I would have been fired or out of business if I performed like them.