What was your first major Machine Gun Shoot?

David Albert

What was the first major machine gun shoot you ever attended?  For Andy and me, after going to some small shoots in the Austin area, the first major machine gun shoot we attended was what ended up being the last Hill Country Machine Gun Shoot in the San Antonio area (Helotes, TX) in May, 1991.

We'll never forget it!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Like 1

Great thread starter….

Some of the guys talk about the North Woods shoots in NH of many years ago – Statford Hollow area.  Wish I could have been part of those (since I’m from that area) and love to read anecdotes about them. But I came onto the NFA scene a little later.

My first major shoot was the SP Crater shoot near Flagstaff in the early 2000s.  Attended these for a couple years and brought my 1919, AKs, M16s, etc.  Met a lot of great RKIs, and got some good help.  One of the most vivid memories of these shoots is of a family or group of shooters located a few positions down from us.  They that had a huge RV and they had quite the assortment of belt feds – maybe a dozen or more.  And they gave the image of a focused and trained team well experienced at these shoots -  their younger members operating a regular production line with all the loading machines laid out in a line, loading up belts in a disciplined, ship shape manner.

Other memories include the big hail storm in the region just before arriving one year which caused broken windows and other damage to vehicles there. Also there was the ND of one attendee – complication with a tent stake line and his colt 45 ending in a leg wound.  Then there was the “air force”, fire department, night shoots and other really cool parts of these SP Crater shoots.  Neighbors on the line let me shoot their Ma Deuce and Thompson SMG and I returned the favor of course.  All in all these were comradery and knowledge-building experiences with good memories.

Job pressures and overseas assignments have kept me from attending any of the big ones since.  Hope to get to Big Sandy when I get back.

7 hours ago, David Albert said:

What was the first major machine gun shoot you ever attended?  For Andy and me, after going to some small shoots in the Austin area, the first major machine gun shoot we attended was what ended up being the last Hill Country Machine Gun Shoot in the San Antonio area (Helotes, TX) in May, 1991.

We'll never forget it!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

So y'all are some TEXAS boys?

10 hours ago, David Albert said:

We'll never forget it!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

My first and Only MG shoot was the SAME > Hill Country Machine Gun Shoot in the San Antonio area (Helotes, TX) in May, 1991.

Weird huh ?   8 years later Andy contacts me to monitor Sturm ! !

Sure was LOTS of night Tracers on the evening shoot !

With the tracers .....you could see the guys with shoulder fired Selectfire rifles.....BLASTING WELL OVER the treetops !

I believe this was the FIRST and LAST .... MG shoot at this location........ as there was LITTLE to NO berm backstops ! !

Bullets just Whizzed over the tree tops ........  people down range Complained Heavily !

J Ceiner was there with his Minigun ......

Here my son ....... some of those holes were His !

HelotesMGshoot1991.jpgFAMAS_CoryA.jpgGE_Minigun7.62.jpgHelotesMGshoot1991Line.jpgHelotesMGshoot1991Night.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Baboon said:

So y'all are some TEXAS boys?

It's complicated, but yes, both Andy and I spent quite a bit of time in TX, and our Mom is 5th generation Texan.  I lived in Austin for 21 years, and now live in OH.  Andy and I both also spent considerable time in Hawaii.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

11 hours ago, Buddy Hinton said:

My first and Only MG shoot was the SAME > Hill Country Machine Gun Shoot in the San Antonio area (Helotes, TX) in May, 1991.

Weird huh ?   8 years later Andy contacts me to monitor Sturm ! !

Sure was LOTS of night Tracers on the evening shoot !

With the tracers .....you could see the guys with shoulder fired Selectfire rifles.....BLASTING WELL OVER the treetops !

I believe this was the FIRST and LAST .... MG shoot at this location........ as there was LITTLE to NO berm backstops ! !

Bullets just Whizzed over the tree tops ........  people down range Complained Heavily !

J Ceiner was there with his Minigun ......

Here my son ....... some of those holes were His !

HelotesMGshoot1991.jpgFAMAS_CoryA.jpgGE_Minigun7.62.jpgHelotesMGshoot1991Line.jpgHelotesMGshoot1991Night.jpg

Buddy,

Isn't that cool!  

We were several points in towards the half track from where your son is pictured.  I still have the badge, and while I'm away from it at the moment, I think we were at point #24.  I'll confirm when I'm home.  The badge still hangs on my bulletin board in my home office.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

My first shoot was an Idaho Automatic Weapons Collectors Association shoot. It was the St. Patrick's Day shoot where they had a car and Tannerite taped to the bottom of plastic 55 gallon drums. When you hit the Tannerite the barrels would shoot up in the air about 30 feet. The car caught on fire with all of the bullets being shot into it, and it was amazing the force of the concussions from so many automatic weapons firing off.

The best part of the shoot was a raffle. If you paid for a $10 raffle ticket for an NFA item a guy named Gene would let you shoot his M16 with 10 rounds in a magazine. I paid for a ticket, and after that point I was hooked. I ended up buying a can in six months later and an M11 a year latter and have been heavily involved in the organization ever since. I am working on my 4 transfer of a full auto (Lightning Link). These shoots are great ways to get people involved in the sport, and the generosity of Gene made me a lifer to the sport.

Here is a link to some pictures of the shoot, but there are many other pictures and events to go through on the site: http://iawca.org/wpg2?g2_itemId=917

• Like 1

My first was at the Hernando Sportsmans club in 1996 in Florida...which turned me to the dark side and eventually an 07/02 FFL business...now a regular at these events...we bring hundreds of fire exstinquisers.several friends,customers,and up to 50 different MGs....looking forward to the next shoot Feb 28..

• Like 1

These are a few of the pictures I took at the North Country Shoot, Stratford Hollow, NH, 1990 and 1991. That is JAC on the M79.

Those were the days! Just after I had received my 03. Guns and ammo were still plentiful and reasonably priced.

Scan_160117_0002.jpg

Scan_160117_0003.jpg

Scan_160117_0004.jpg

Scan_160117_0005.jpg

• Like 3

Nice pics! Looks like these were great shoots... Always enjoy the pics, stories and anecdotes coming on these North Country shoots. I think I recall seeing a group photo from one of these over on subguns, but it's probably buried deep within the archives by now...

My first MG shoot was The New Boston shoot in '88 followed by the North Country shoots in Stratford Hollow. I didn't miss a single one. Did a few of the Maine shoots in Dover-Foxcroft and only missed one of the Eden Shoots in Vermont.

I have absolutely TONS of pics and video from all the shoots. Even Jim Ballou used my pics and footage in a Knob Creek video tribute to William Villerand. If you spotted a bunch of North Country pics recently, it was probably my stuff. 

I even went BACK to Stratford Hollow a couple years ago and walked the firing line and vendor areas... what were left of them.  Remember the entrance to Stratford Hollow? This is what it looks like now...

DSC05258_zps7a97ebb0.jpg

A back then pic...

empties.jpg

Oefinger at Stratford Hollow in '90

10333Dougie1.jpg

10333Dougie2.jpg

Great Pic from New Boston... '90. Don't remember if it was Spring or Fall shoot.

10333File0058.jpg

Remember the Yuppie Assault Vehicle? Stratford Hollow..

Carl_copy.jpg

Howsabout the Creek... BEFORE the pole barn?

knob002_copy.jpg

Edited by Shattered
  • Like 3

Great pics – rich, awesome.  B&W ones make them look historical, which I believe they ALL are.  And the sentimental journey a nice touch.  Want to find out from my kin where exactly this was... I remember my cousin Dennis telling me at a reunion years ago about some MG shooters that had asked for permission to set up a shoot on his Dad’s land – could have been about the same time frame.  Sounds like you have a real treasure trove in those pics and videos and experience from these shoots.  Now you just need to hire Ken Burns to produce the documentary, or write your own book B|

My first organized MG shoots were when I was just a little kid in the late 70s to early 80s with a bunch of SF guys that were friends of my father. Was a moderate-sized group of guys with Tons of cool MGs and Ammo, seemingly, for days… Best thing ever! Now that I'm older, I can still, vividly, recall but not quite experience ever again, that Disney-like sense of wonderment and awe that most only encounter with the mindset of a child... But for me it was the best of times and I will never forget the things I learned so early in my life and the fellowship that came from those experiences.

• Like 1

I bought my first 2 NFA items in 2000 and went to my first MG shoot at Knob Creek in Fall of 2000. The first time was surreal and I was glued to the firing line when it was hot. The second time I was at the Creek was either fall '01 or '02 and I was less impressed with watching the firing line since I was a participant in the CampyBob Bulletfests in NE Ohio by then. My last time to the creek was Fall '04 and my wife and I never looked at the firing line one minute we were there, but instead looked at every item on every table in the vendor area. I was at all of the Ohio Bulletfests except the last one in 2007. 

Edited by Ohiojohn
  • Like 1

The BulletFest shots were a lot of fun, but a bit dangerous. The main problem was actually the guys with semi autos doing the bump fire thing. For some damn reason, almost every guy bump firing has a tendency to watch the gun rather than their impact area. Watching branches being shot off the very tops of trees means the majority of the rounds were going out of the impact area and at whatever lay beyond. The early shoots with primarily MG owners ran as intended. As word got out, more and more semi only guys were attending which in itself wasn't a big deal, but then the bump firing phenom started in earnest. One jerk next to me with what looked like about a pound of metal looping in and out of ears, eyebrows, his lips, cheeks,  and nose promptly bump-dumped 10 rounds from an SKS about 10 feet away from the line, showering everyone in a 25 foot radius with dirt . The line staff couldn't keep an eye on them all and the problems started rolling in. Fortunately, there were no incidents until the last two shoots.  At Snodes the next to the last shoot reportedly had a round impact a house while the owner was on his deck. The last shoot, where the firing line was by the road itself killed the shoot. This was the one that launched a ton of lead over the trees and into a neighborhood a mile or so away.  

It was also the best BulletFest ever. Two lines of targets along the entire shooting line. Literally, tens of hundreds of rider mowers, refrigerators, stoves, water heaters. Propane tanks, motorcycles, cars, baby carriages, etc. A helicopter offering rides firing at targets on the ground if you had the cash. It had it all. Need photos? I got'em.

• Like 1

Knob Creek for me in 88 been going ever since only missed a couple did use to shoot on the line but gave up my spot.Been some great times and memories,and lots of coin left behind. But ya know some of the greatest deals I have ever received were concocted there!! 

• Like 1

For me it was at the Hernando Sportsman Club a few years back (don't know which year, but in this decade).  Since then we've gotten lucky enough to spend time on the line at Knob Creek and at Fort Gordon.  Going to be spending some time this week getting the last of the ammo ready for Hernando on the 28th of February and may even start figuring out what I need to get ready for the April Creek! :o

• Like 1

Charlie Erbs Water Box Mine shoot...........bullet impact area was a backwater off the Mon River south of Brownsville, Pa., April  1984.  The dead level lane of about 1/2mile was the worse road I ever traveled.  Shoot was spring & fall, Pa's rainy seasons, water/mud holes in the road were 10-12ft long, 10-16" deep, one could count on his headlites being completely covered with mud coming & going!!!!  I drove Judge Calhouns 1982 Plymouth wagon in, not knowing any better..........had muddy water in the back floor.  

I had bought a Madsen M-50, 9mm, from C. E. & the paperwork had just come back.  Saw my first MG 34 & 42s, there, bought one of each soon after.  Later bought a Jap T-99 & a Gustav 6.5 Sweede BAR from seeing them there also......................still have all these guns.

PJH

Edited by heckinohio
  • Like 2

SOF Convention Firepower demo by the Arizona Emma Gees with Peter Kokalis and Dolf Goldsmith in 1991, 1993 and 1994, then Knob Creek Fall of 1995 and from the Fall of 1996 I havent missed a Creek! Always had a good time at the shoots and shows :-)

• Like 2

My first shoot was about 5 years ago. I rented a range spot at the Oklahoma full auto shoot and trade show in wyandote, Oklahoma. next year I rented two spots and have been going back ever since. My son loves it and its one of the highlights of the summer. I need to go to knob creek just to say I have been there. I love the shoots and encourage people to attend who never been to one. Its a blast and lots of fun.

• Like 2

My first shoot was in Las Vegas at the Soldier of Fortune firepower demonstration. The array of MG's was always great, Dillon Precision never failed to disappoint, and the Mini Gun would always be my favorite. The manufacturer demos were entertaining, and often illustrated real issues with the product. I sure miss the gunshow at the Sands Hotel too!

• Like 1

Where in Helotes was the shoot held? I live off Bandera Rd and can only imagine how much fun I would have had if we'd lived in town back then.

At any rate, my first "shoot" was at "The Gun Store" on Tropicana in Vegas. Not quite a social gathering but went with friends and had a great time shooting the various guns they had for rental.

• Like 1

On February 2, 2016 at 1:46 PM, polytech86 said:

Where in Helotes was the shoot held? I live off Bandera Rd and can only imagine how much fun I would have had if we'd lived in town back then.

At any rate, my first "shoot" was at "The Gun Store" on Tropicana in Vegas. Not quite a social gathering but went with friends and had a great time shooting the various guns they had for rental.

I don't recall the exact location, but it seems like it was right off the main road, maybe a little north of town.  I bet there are houses there now...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

My first shoot was the annual ATF MG and explosives demo for the Dallas US Attorney's office. It was held at the Dallas PD range by Mountain Creek Lake. Must have been 1986 or so. It was my first exposure to the TSMG, MP40, Uzi, MAC, M16, and AK47. Got to see some righteous explosions, too. C4, TNT, Det cord. Man, I had some bragging rights at school the next day. I'll have to dig out the photos some day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first one I can remember fondly is 1984 in Angeles Shooting range in Southern California. I watched and observed some guys shoot a 1919, BAR, and I think it was a Thompson M1A1 all properly registered I believe.

My dad's weatherby 22 rifle just didn't feel interesting after that.

• Like 1

Dunno' if these count however my first major shoots were up in Manitoba Canada back in the 70s, seem to recall my first was staged at the Shiloh Proving Grounds.  Back then there were still a crap ton of folks who held the Prohibited weapons license that would get together for rather large events...what we might call Living History today.

Most of the players were Vets ranging from WWI to Korea and were tickled pink to let a young Yank run a belt through a Maxim on a Sledge mount or try out a RCMP R75 BAR...they never even asked my father to pay for the ammo.  After they changed the laws there those shoots just died, in time so have most of the guys who possessed the grandfathered license to purchase and possess resulting in many of the guns being Deactivated.  When they restricted magazine capacity that was a real death knell for it.

Started attending KCR in the mid 90s or there abouts'  Used to set up at the Louisville National Gun Day show, leave folks to watch the tables and take a quick stab south plus attend the night shoots.  

KCR was Okay back then however waaaaaaay to many idiots and retards.  The Canadian shoots were much better organized...no shifty looking Meth Tweeker types plus you were dealing mostly with men that had used these arms in combat, in addition no one was trying to slump the barrel on their guns playing the spray and pray endless ammo dumps.  Heck I was taught the principles of indirect fire and the beaten zone behind a Vickers.  The main reason I attended KCR was the Barn for bits and kits as well as bargain ammo to flip.  I just was uncomfortable with the juvenile perspective that a fair number of attendees seemed to share.

• Like 2

I am a late bloomer, Hernando MG shoot in Fl Summer 2012. That was the year I started making all of my purchases too as much as I wanted to get into it in 2007 or so but would not make the leap on a Hk sear at the time.

Good thing for you younger guys to bear in mind is that back up through the early 90s the ability of folks to own automatic weapons was pretty much unknown...prices only began to escalate with the advent of the internet.

The other thing is in America it was kinda regarded as a dirty secret

Knew Colt collectors who owned all sorts of Colt NFA but were actively opposed to Colt AR15s at gun shows, hardly anyone they knew had ARs, they owned 21's or Colt BARs...it was a private little secret

Understand back in the 70s and even 80s it was common for a show to prohibit sale of military sporters...hell we were harassed over having 30rd mags in M1 carbines.  When the 1st AKs came in in the 70s from Valmet and Styer Maddi we had to pull them

reason ?

Some asshat "Vets" who were hating on the guns who killed their "brothers".  Most of those guys never really were in combat and never whined about a Nagant or SKS sitting on a table

far different world today

Yeah... I remember that time also and they did the same with the German stuff and Japanese stuff also.

I remember the Great Western Show in California and some vets harassed some dealers with Nazi stuff and other stuff.

It was the first time in the 80's that my dad told me that sometimes we are our worst enemies.

My first and only "MG shoot" was back in the 80's at a gun club in SE Pa. It was hosted by several class 3 dealers including Dennis Todd. It was open to the public and many weapons were demonstrated. This was really well done. There may have been a rental range. Everything was for sale and prices seemed high(for the 80's). I was there all day. The only thing I brought home was sunburn. This was long before digital cameras so no pics.

Knob Creek, 1998.  I took my 12 year old son who was hooked on video games.

He shot all the full autos we could find! 

I remember the look on his eyes when we pulled in during the shoot out.  They were as big as pie plates!

We kept that trip off of Mom's radar for MANY years.  One of those "Don't tell Mom" things :)

• Like 1

The Hot Springs machine gun shoot, it must have been 1993 or so... very cool, we camped out in a repro Civil War A frame tent my Mom and Dad bought me for graduation, and shot my MG 08/15, which was the only MG we had- made pancakes over a campfire, and crawled under a truck due to all the rain during the evening, but it was a great time! I got to shoot an MG13 at the event, owned by a  guy who owned coca-cola for Tennessee or something like that, and my friend had someone come up to him and ask him when he'd been in the military- as he was one of the only people there with no military gear on at all, he had a bright tie-dyed shirt on with Donald Duck on it. Great times!!!

Edited by dwmmg08

16 hours ago, 90lxracer said:

I've never been to one, but it seems like it's something to be seen for sure!

Is there a list on this site of where these shoots are held? The only one I've really ever heard of is Knob Creek, beyond that, na-da... 

There are some shoots listed in the Calendar feature, which is a tab at the top of the page.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 1 month later...

anyone here ever attend any of ralph wong's " marana" Tucson shoots in the 60'S and 70's ?  Czech 9mm would not sell at .03 rnd then . 8mm was less than .05. these were unbelievable in the quantity of ammo fired but  the exotic "PYRO" AND BIG BANG targets were NOTHING compared to today. a lot of cannons were always present . my last one took a 2 ton bobtail to carry ammo only  and usually at least a crate of 20mm would go through my lahti.  maxims were set up for the lady's and ammo was free to them the whole shoot. IT WAS TAKEN FOR GRANET AT THE TIME, but what a privilege to be with the "legends" like DOLF GOLDSMITH or be next to BOB FARRIS while he emptied his endless supply of loaded belts and mags. then watch as he removed the top cover from another shooters stoner, wedge it in a rear bumper and  stomp it with his foot.  of course it ran flawless after wards!! due to business concerns I was forced to limit my big shoots to the 3 day's of 4th july and we always took at least 1 full pickup of 70% dynamite . in az fireworks were forbidden but an explosives card was easy took less than 5 min to get, then you were totally free from there.  can you imagine doing  I-10 with 40 cases of Dyno and no lead or back vehicle TODAY?  highway patrol found large hole in the road with scattered metal north of phoenix and determined it was a load of dyno. after a few days they finally ID'd the guy and it was downhill from there. my last shoot at I-10 and miller road was "visited" by nat guard in helo, and DPS . even though the line was apprx a mile in and not visable, traffic was at a standstill westbound on I-10 due to spectator's parking in the safety lane. the video's of on duty law enforcement shooting on the line while "investigating" the event are priceless. that land is state trust land  and open for recreation we did the 4th shoot at that location for more than 10 yrs then it was developed too close for comfort .trespass rights in Arizona are hard for others to comprehend , but basically if there is a road ANYONE can proceed, if no occupied houses are present you can set up and shoot. AND WE DID!!  a major part of the state is trust land. if you possess a valid hunting lic, you have the "right" to use it . the current shoots are great due to the safety and variation of targets presented but the friendship is a bit too "clicish" for lack of a better term. seems like folks are in competition of who knows who and who has what. I attended the firepower shoot at the SOF convention  , MR KOKALIS'S SPEECH to the media was so offensive to me( and others) that we left not wanting to be a part of THAT ATTITUDE. knob creek needs no help from me its fantastic for the spectator's and certainly helps keep things going in a positive direction even though attendance and round count is down that's only because of the cost of ammo and travel today along with the prospect of finding new products imported.  I hope to find something in texas  SOON  that will help me excersise some of these tools and get rid of a BUNCH A BULLETS     cheers mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Machineguntony said:

I wish there were some MG shoots in central Texas.

Texas Gun Fest has a full auto Friday, but it's not the same. And they don't allow 308.

There's the Leona shoot in January & July.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Machineguntony said:

I wish there were some MG shoots in central Texas.

Texas Gun Fest has a full auto Friday, but it's not the same. And they don't allow 308.

If we build it they will come. There are enough shooters in TX to make this happen. 

On March 15, 2016 at 10:45 AM, timkel said:

My first and only "MG shoot" was back in the 80's at a gun club in SE Pa. It was hosted by several class 3 dealers including Dennis Todd. It was open to the public and many weapons were demonstrated. This was really well done. There may have been a rental range. Everything was for sale and prices seemed high(for the 80's). I was there all day. The only thing I brought home was sunburn. This was long before digital cameras so no pics.

Granted, that was a long time ago, but I think they had cameras that used something called "film". No pics? Didn't happen...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shattered said:

Granted, that was a long time ago, but I think they had cameras that used something called "film". No pics? Didn't happen...

Back then if you wanted to see a MG shoot, you had to leave the basement. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, timkel said:

Back then if you wanted to see a MG shoot, you had to leave the basement. 

Hmm. Never went to "see" a shoot. Always participated.  Besides, only thing I did in the basement was reload. Even pressed the then girlfriend into reloading. She did so without complaint so that was worth getting hitched to. Even now she can be pressed into serving as a pack mule at the Creek.

• Like 1

I finally went to my first machine gun shoot this past Sunday. It was a private invite shoot held by some members of another forum. Everyone was very cool. I brought some assault rifles (I love that term lol), subguns, and belt feds. It was a small shoot, but lots of fun. If I knew how to post pics on this forum, I'd post them.

For some reason, spraying and praying into a creek is very satisfying! Splashes!

A very generous fella threw large containers of floating tannerite into the creek. With a scoped F/A AR, it was too easy; one burst is all it took. On another container of tannerite, I unloaded a 100 round belt into the area of the tannerite and eventually got the explosion near the 1/3 point of the belt. Seeing as how generous the gentleman was, I gave him a belt on my M60E6 to shoot a container of his tannerite, as he had never shot an M60. He managed to spray all around the container of tannerite, but missed the tannerite. So I backed him up with my MP5 that I had ready. Bad decision on my part because 9mm apparently doesn't have enough to detonate the tannerite. I hit the container, but only a cloud of black powder surfaced in the water. The tannerite got away, but the gentleman had the unmustable full auto grin. 

Being around like minded and friendly folks who enjoy good food, machine guns, good conversation, the smell of gun powder, and the sound of rat-a-tat-tat-tat, made for a super enjoyable day.