What was your first major Machine Gun Shoot?

David Albert

On 5/17/2016 at 0:28 AM, Machineguntony said:

I finally went to my first machine gun shoot this past Sunday. It was a private invite shoot held by some members of another forum. Everyone was very cool. I brought some assault rifles (I love that term lol), subguns, and belt feds. It was a small shoot, but lots of fun. If I knew how to post pics on this forum, I'd post them.

For some reason, spraying and praying into a creek is very satisfying! Splashes!

A very generous fella threw large containers of floating tannerite into the creek. With a scoped F/A AR, it was too easy; one burst is all it took. On another container of tannerite, I unloaded a 100 round belt into the area of the tannerite and eventually got the explosion near the 1/3 point of the belt. Seeing as how generous the gentleman was, I gave him a belt on my M60E6 to shoot a container of his tannerite, as he had never shot an M60. He managed to spray all around the container of tannerite, but missed the tannerite. So I backed him up with my MP5 that I had ready. Bad decision on my part because 9mm apparently doesn't have enough to detonate the tannerite. I hit the container, but only a cloud of black powder surfaced in the water. The tannerite got away, but the gentleman had the unmustable full auto grin. 

Being around like minded and friendly folks who enjoy good food, machine guns, good conversation, the smell of gun powder, and the sound of rat-a-tat-tat-tat, made for a super enjoyable day.

Somebody told me about that shoot, said there was the sweetest shooting M240 ever there ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I were digging through the basement storage closet yesterday, because our teenage daughters wanted to see if my wife could find some of her 1980's and 90's concert t-shirts.  Alas, after pretty much giving up on the search, my wife found a box where she had stored "sentimental" items, and we found the concert shirts.  Along with them was my 1991 Hill Country Machine Gun Shoot shirt.  I thought maybe it had been thrown away, or donated years ago.  It still has oil stains on it...I remember I had over-lubed my M1 Thompson, and became peppered with dirty oil on my shoulder during the shoot.  A white shirt was not exactly the best choice for a machine gun shoot shirt...Anyway, here are some photos of the shirt, for those who are interested.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My first MG shoot was more of a manufacturers demonstration. It was 1982 at the 3rd annual Soldier Of Fortune Convention in Charlotte,  NC. I was hooked after that and started going to Knob Creek and in the last several years the Big Sandy.

1985 was my first Knob Creek Shoot and I have only missed a couple due to a new job and a flood. It certainly was more fun in the beginning but I am sure it is much safer now.  The gun show has grown so big that is all I do anymore. It is always a good time seeing old friends I have made through the years and picking up new toys. I hope Hillary does not shut it down!!

• 1 month later...

First and best was not a formal thing.  Six of my best friends with a truckload of MGs, semis and tons of memories.... About 1998, near Lexington VA at my Dad's place.

First real MG shoot was KCR 2013.  Brother-in-law took me there as a surprise and I've been back every year since.

• 2 years later...

The best MG shoot that I have been to for actual shooting(and also spectating)is the Big Sandy shoot in northwestern Arizona.  However, you are pretty close to Knob Creek-so it might be easier/cheaper to go there, but the range is only around 100 yards-where Big Sandy is around 1000 yards-and you are shooting into a mountain-and there are a lot of explosive/reactive targets-not to mention the remote-controlled planes...

• 5 months later...