Thompson M1 Value

Gaffshot

When you say "vs. the other models"?

Being an M1 or M1A1 won't have much of a bearing on value unless it is an all-original WW2 gun.  Otherwise they are pretty much the same thing.

Rankings of the M1/M1A1 - here is my guess:

1. - Rare 1 off guns like the ones up for auction at Rock Island next weekend
  2. - Military production, original condition then refinished
  3. - Upgraded WH models and some of the quality small makes (e.g., Chasin)
  4. - The few other oddballs and the NIB WH versions
  5. - Bottom of the barrel IMHO are the commemorative WH Thompsons which are ugly as sin and I can't see any collectible value to them
  6. - Anything that's been chromed

Add 10% for a good story on the wartime ones, if documented.

Edited by philasteen

• 3 weeks later...

Never owned a WH that didn't require gunsmithing. Rear sight would fall off, new out of the box, among other reliability issues. Recently they have gained "C&R" status, but that is about the only thing I can say positive about them.

Guess I got lucky...twice. First was when I bought it. WH guns were the red-headed step children of the Thompson world. WH guns were going for $5K at the time and the guy was only interested in getting his original money back out of the deal. So a $1700 Thompson it was. It was cut for a drum so it had that going against it as well. 

But... It ran. Ran really well. So lucky twice. 

That was over a decade ago... Now it has some of those "Vorbotten" Thompson mods out of Colorado and now is running in 45, 40 cal, 7.62x25, 9mm and also has Merles 22kit. I intend to borrow a chamber reamer from Merle and make a 400 Corbon setup as well.

Did I mention it runs well? In all calibers? Stick mags as well as drums? Even has a 28 lower with the pop off stock...and runs well...for a real bastard gun. Reminds me, it really needs to be de-horned. Dang thing has more sharp edges than a Katana.

Edited by Shattered
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Shattered said:

Reminds me, it really needs to be de-horned. Dang thing has more sharp edges than a Katana.

Don't de-horn or modify it! Thats what gives it "character"!!

Receiver of mine was unique in that some surplus parts needed alteration to fit. I think it may have been slightly warped, or maybe bent when it was manufactured.

Is your rear sight attached with solid or hollow rivets? Mine was installed with hollow rivets which sheared off every 100+ rounds. I eventually welded the sucker on and sold it for well less than I had in it.