SOT Renewal now $1,000

Motocop

• 4 weeks later...

Wait are you guys saying that the fees for a class two or class three licenses have actually dropped?  Somebody please elaborate on this for me. 

I'm an ex-firearm dealer FFL/SOT closed up my shop for good back in 2005.

So now what is this about fees being lowered? That would take a miracle, has there been one that nobody bothered to tell me about?

5 hours ago, motorcycling951 said:

Wait are you guys saying that the fees for a class two or class three licenses have actually dropped?  Somebody please elaborate on this for me. 

I'm an ex-firearm dealer FFL/SOT closed up my shop for good back in 2005.

So now what is this about fees being lowered? That would take a miracle, has there been one that nobody bothered to tell me about?

No. Never Lowered - Same as Always... Defaults to $500 for Class 3 and $1000 for Class 2 (ASSUMING that you Gross at least $500,000 Annually). You must Strike that out and write-in $500 which is the Correct Tax for entities that Gross Under $500,000 Annually. A lot of people don't read the instructions fully and Donate, to the Gov, Twice the Tax actually due.

Yep when I had my shop I had heard of other SOT'S overpaying especially dealers in destructive devices  they regularily figured every tax wrong and subsequently wound up paying through the nose due to thier fuck ups. Lol

Edited by motorcycling951
spelling correction

. A lot of people don't read the instructions fully and Donate, to the Gov, Twice the Tax actually due.

This is very disturbing to me. 

Is it not possible to get a refund for overpayment of taxes/ license fees? We all are required to keep our taxes records for 7yrs...so the IRS can collect any unpaid taxes and penalties. If a good accountant discovers that you have over paid past taxes , are you not entitled to the unclaimed refund of over payment? 

I would think it would be worth talking to a knowledgeable accountant before the statue of limitation runs out.

Edited by Born loser...in Montana
Grammar chk

8 hours ago, Born loser...in Montana said:

. A lot of people don't read the instructions fully and Donate, to the Gov, Twice the Tax actually due.

This is very disturbing to me. 

Is it not possible to get a refund for overpayment of taxes/ license fees? We all are required to keep our taxes records for 7yrs...so the IRS can collect any unpaid taxes and penalties. If a good accountant discovers that you have over paid past taxes , are you not entitled to the unclaimed refund of over payment? 

I would think it would be worth talking to a knowledgeable accountant before the statue of limitation runs out.

I'm not sure but I would bet that you'd never get the overpayment back. Tends to be a one way street in those circumstances. And you'd probably end up spending more $$$ in a futile attempt to retrieve funds that are already gone. Seems like a good idea to consult an experienced Tax professional - they should know.

On 5/26/2016 at 6:16 PM, Precision Technology said:

I'm not sure but I would bet that you'd never get theoverpayment back. Tends to be a one way street in those circumstances. And you'd probably end up spending more $$$ in a futile attempt to retrieve funds that are already gone.

I am tired of paying my good Uncle more than I  should... seems he's been spending it on things  I wouldn't...it wouldn't be futile...if I could defend what I believe to be true...