Anyone own a Magnum Research BFR?

R.L.

Just picked one up from Elk County Ammo and Arms.

Good folks too,

Got this thing in 2 days!

Excellent customer service.

Anywho...this thing is chambered in .450 Marlin so it should be pretty interesting first time out to shoot it. 

Watched a few videos on Hickok 45. SINGLE HANDING this beast.

Don't think I'll try that.

I'll be happy if I can just hang on to it.

Hope you guys are having a fun Labor Day weekend.

Cheers,

R.L,

Edited by R.L.
typo

I had a 444 Marlin and 45-70 BFR’s years ago. This was before the 500 S&W. I went through a phase of “I gotta have the biggest gun” lol

In all seriousness tho, they aren’t for the faint of heart and if you aren’t careful, they can hurt you. Hold them at full arm extension and hold on....I let someone try the 444M and damn near had to catch it behind them. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured my Browning BLR in .450 Marlin needed a companion pistol. Probably was not a good idea, but we'll give it a whirl. I have Desert Eagle in .50 A&E, which I can shoot with no issues. I have a feeling this one's gonna hurt a bit more.

When you start running out of stuff to do cause you already did it...  this is the kind of stuff you do.

Gonna brave a shot or two today.

R.L.

6 hours ago, R.L. said:

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured my Browning BLR in .450 Marlin needed a companion pistol. Probably was not a good idea, but we'll give it a whirl. I have Desert Eagle in .50 A&E, which I can shoot with no issues. I have a feeling this one's gonna hurt a bit more.

When you start running out of stuff to do cause you already did it...  this is the kind of stuff you do.

Gonna brave a shot or two today.

R.L.

Its gonna hurt a lot more, a DE is a pussy gun compared to a 460SW or a 450M

2 handed, heavy gloves if you have it, benched, with a bag on top. You could even add lead weights to the scope mount. 

I have a ton of magnuns, bfrs in stupid rifle mags are a no go for me

Think I'm gonna try reloads with 250 gr projo's instead of factory 325's.

I'll work my way to full factory loads after I see what the 250's are like first.

UR saying firing benched from a rest is better than standing?

Or fire from a bench just using leather bags?

I'm using factory iron sights, no scope yet.

I bench my Tac 50 and .416 Barrett and a host of other high power rifles from my JJ rest on a 300lb shooting bench,  but I've not tried shooting from a rest  on a benchwith a high power pistol.

At least not this powerful.

I figure if I survived firing a .600 nitro express, I'll manage this one too.

R.L.

5 hours ago, R.L. said:

UR saying firing benched from a rest is better than standing?

Or fire from a bench just using leather bags?

bench with bags, bag on top to start, takes the flip out which can damage a wrist.

I shoot big calibers and guns like the sw500 don't flip like the 460s do. The flip will hurt you on the bigger caliber revolves since there is not much weight at the end of the bore, even with a comp. 

Well.... it's not as bad as I expected

Were's that .600 nitro express howdah pistol?

Don't know what ya'll do for a living but I wrangled 200 lb plus hydraulic drill motors/ columns and 3' in diameter core bit's some over 300lbs every day for 36 years. Not by myself of course but with a helper.

Yes it kicks like a mule, but I'm not target practicing with it, just hunting.

Anyone here ever use magna-porting on their weapons.

Most of the online comments on magn-aporting are positive, but has anyone HERE actually used this porting on their weapons?

You get all kinds of squirrels on some of the other boards when it comes to opinions on firearms etc.

I tend to trust people on my home board more.

Cheers,

R.L.

I have never cared for porting so I've never done one for myself. Years ago(like 2005)I sent a handful of customer guns to them(Rifles and pistols of all flavors) with no complaints. Seems like I test fired a few but with a snail in a small room it's hard to judge fairly. 

If they are the same quality they were I think you'll be happy. I think it looks pretty clean, I believe they use EDM. I know a factory ported glock 22 will give you a hell of a headache with the same snail set up!