Indirect fire

Ryo

Can someone explain to me how does one use optics for indirect fire? I know some optics for MG34/MG42 lafette tripods have settings for direct and indirect fire. I've seen in videos some a Ukrainian looking into a optic for a howitzer directing fire. 

What are they seeing in this optic? Does that mean they have line of sight to target and that is what that setting is for? (this would make the most sense to me) 

Just pondering this late at night. 

Its Been Over 40 Years I Will Try And Give You The Short Answer. You Dont Use An Optic  No Magnification   Aiming site You Are Looking At Aiming Sticks Red & White Stripes Poles Placed IN The Ground @50 meters And @100  Meters Used As A Reference Point For Your Site. Is Declanated To A  Topographical Map. 99% Of The Time You Never Have DirectLine Of Sight.You Have Eyes Up Front Front Forward Observer Or INFANTRY To Call For FIre.   Any Other 11Charlie Out There!                                                                     

7 hours ago, Ryo said:

What are they seeing in this optic? Does that mean they have line of sight to target and that is what that setting is for? (this would make the most sense to me)

If they don't have LOS, they are setting up the direction and elevation of the gun, then shooting according to the fire control computer or adjusting from a observer.

I dont know what picture you saw, but they could also be laying in the azimuth of the cannon and setting its elevation.

If you want to dork out

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-50/Ch4.htm

Edited by taylorwso

My dad was an artilleryman for 20+ years. Retired as an E-9. Just about deaf as a stone from Korea and Vietnam. The gun bunnies line up the optical sight on the red and white aiming stakes as a known point of reference, then adjust windage and elevation according to directions from the fire control computer, or from firing charts. Although a lot of that is automated these days in U.S. artillery. Computer controlled and all that. Plug in GPS co-ordinates and bracket your target with 2 rounds, and then fire for effect. Sucks to be in the impact area. Modern artillery is pretty good. Especially the NATO stuff. The Russkies are figuring that out the hard way.