Form 4 transfer questions

Snubbyguy

I am in the process of selling a full auto NFA firearm to a class 07 FFL with Class 2 SOT not in my state. 
1) At what point do I collect funds? I assume before paperwork is submitted but not sure. He mentioned after paperwork was approved. 
2) I’m thinking it is his responsibility to initiate the form 4 with picture, information, et.Al. And then sends to me for signature then I send it in and the wait begins. 
3) upon approval, I can just send to him directly? I am not an FFL. 
Any help you all can give me is much appreciated. Thank you 

1. you are the seller so you can dictate the terms of the sale, subject to agreement.

People commonly do one of 2 options:

a.  50/50 - you get 50% up front, then the other 50% when the paperwork clears and prior to shipment

b.  you get 100% up front.

(personally as a seller, I would not agree to nothing down, unless perhaps a +very+ trusted buyer that you have done business with before.)

2.  You can do all the paperwork yourself, since it is a Form 4 to dealer/SOT.  You fill out page 1 of the form 4, and mail it in (2 copies) with a check for $200.  Ask the buyer if you need any more assistance with the paperwork, but it's pretty basic.  No need for the responsible person questions/prints/photos since buyer is a dealer.  Expect 6+ months for approval.

3.  once the Form 4 is approved, I believe you can mail it directly to the out of state dealer.  Someone else will correct me if I am wrong.  I recommend USPS Registered/Insured for the most secure method.

good luck!

Edited by shiklg

#1 - All good advice from shiklg.

It would be <very> atypical to not get paid anything until you have an approved F4 to the dealer...

#2 - I'm surprised a dealer wouldn't provide a completed F4

If you need to make one, this should help generate a correct form  https://eform4.silencershop.com/

As shiklg said, all you need to complete is the first page (in duplicate) with $200

Paper F4s to dealers are taking a VERY LONG TIME 6-9 months right now...

3) Without an FFL, you may find it simpler for the dealer to provide you a shipping label if your MG does not comply with USPS shipping regulations. 

FYI: On item 2: The FFL doesn't need to provide photos since it is going into his business. Also he doesn't need to provide police information,etc.  It is a page 1 fill out, and page 3 for payment.

Wait is faster than a standard Form 4 but the wait time I dealt with was 6-8 months.. but that was a couple of year ago.

I haven't checked, but could you just do a eForm 4?