Morphys auction pre 68 transferables.

Dean

Big house auction prices have been skyrocketing for a couple years now.  People are buying them up instead of stocks, bonds, and so on.  Have you noticed how many transferable guns aren't on Strum, GB, or with Ruben and even MWT?  People are selling them with Morphys and RIA hoping to cash in big.....but they forget the fees the seller has to pay.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, Dean said:

Both are not pre-samples but fully transferable and made past the 68 deadline.  

Tell us how that is possible?

The MPi -69 is "LES" import marked.....they weren't even in production prior to the '68 cutoff...... the only way it could be transferable would be if it was imported as a pre-may sample, then cut/rewelded domestically prior to '86

Same goes for the MPK

Lots of pre-samples floating around mis-labeled as "transferable" ...... most notably Uzis .....could be a nasty surprise for the high bidder when that F4 crosses the examiners desk

Edited by villafuego

5 minutes ago, villafuego said:

Tell us how that is possible?

The MPi -69 is "LES" import marked.....they weren't even in production prior to the '68 cutoff...... the only way it could be transferable would be if it was imported as a pre-may sample, then cut/rewelded domestically prior to '86

Same goes for the MPK

Lots of pre-samples floating around mis-labeled as "transferable" ...... most notably Uzis .....could be a nasty surprise for the high bidder when that F4 crosses the examiners desk

I had something similar happen with Morphy’s, I won what was advertised as a premay 1919 from them but upon the transfer, it turned out to be a post sample (we believe was imported in 1989) and I lost out on a sale which would’ve made a 3k profit.

They refunded my money and offered to cover shipping on a future gun, but when I asked if they could wave or reduce the buyer fee for one future item given I had lost out on a 3k profit, they said “we’re sorry the issue happened, but it’s not our fault, as ATF erroneously approved the transfer to us in the first place, therefore we can’t reduce the buyers premium.”

Additionally something to the effect of “We’d  highly recommend not offering for sale an item you’ve won before the transfer is approved.”

Left a really bad taste in my mouth, but alas here I am again looking at new lots in their auction lol. 

They did assure me that issues such as mine are extremely rare however and I was just unlucky. 

Once had a pair of transferable MPL and MPK as well as an East German folding stock milled AK...sure wish I still had them.

I don't know why people prebid (unless it is a high,winning bid) days in advance of the auction. To me, that serves no purpose.

Okrana

Yes, participated yesterday and today.  Prices were high yesterday including what I mistakenly bid while in the middle of something.....Multitasking costs a lot, but was cheaper than losing fingers.  Today's prices made yesterday seem like a bargain?  I'm 0/3 on one gun.  Bid twice at morphys (it got relisted) and didn't get again at RIA.  RIA also bumped the buyers premium 2.5%.  Gotta pay for that new building somehow?

The overall "collectible" firearm market seems a bit "frothy"  these days IMO given the overall demographic of buyers as the repression nears?

Reising at 15K?!?!  WTF??? And I thought I paid too much for a Reising, 4 mags and Fed Labs hard case at 3.5K several years ago.  I've gotten a few good buys on antique and C&R stuff at both Rock Island and Morphy in the past few years, but prices seem to be getting evermore stupid with each passing auction.  I still bid here and there just in case I might get lucky.  I was watching one of the auctions live last year and they had a plethora of WWII Walther P-38's.  Right in the middle of the batch was what appeared to be a decent looking P-38.  No bids... no pre-bids, no phone bids, no floor bids... nothing.  They quickly skipped over it and went to the next lot.  You never know.

Kevin in NC

Wow that is crazy for that Reising. Did it come from that collection they were selling? It seemed like items from that collection caused people to spend more.. 

The guy could have picked up 2 of them for the amount he paid. 

The worst part of those auction prices is that people will start trying to get them on the open market and I don't see it happening.  The only thing I can figure is there must be a lot of guys cashing out 401k's and IRA's to buy hard assets who don't care to over pay.  With that being said, more and more SOT's getting in the game for "cheap machine guns" has driven the pre samples over the top too, which is also causing this whole "no law letter" post sample craze.  At some point it is all going to come to a head and I have a feeling there will be more than a few people crying.

10 minutes ago, Got Uzi said:

The worst part of those auction prices is that people will start trying to get them on the open market and I don't see it happening.  The only thing I can figure is there must be a lot of guys cashing out 401k's and IRA's to buy hard assets who don't care to over pay.  With that being said, more and more SOT's getting in the game for "cheap machine guns" has driven the pre samples over the top too, which is also causing this whole "no law letter" post sample craze.  At some point it is all going to come to a head and I have a feeling there will be more than a few people crying.

I just wonder if the post samples will draw scrutiny at some point.

They already are to a point.  We've been seeing guys get deny'd letters from ATF on post sample guns lately.  

I understand how the free market and capitalism works, but with prices going up and up and up, at somepoint there will be a very small buyer pool and what will the values do then?  This hobby is going to be a self fulfilling proficy......not for the regular guy who has been priced out of it and only big time money guys who will never do anything with them, then you'll get to hear the old guys whine and cry when no young people are getting into the hobby anymore.  Seen it happen with classic cars, antique tractors and vintage farm engines.  Its a never ending cycle for this kinda stuff.  But what do I know?  I'm just a dip$hit who works his a$$ off to get the few things I have.

@Got Uzi  What is the end result after all the young guys are gone?  Prices drop or the stuff stays in collections forever?  I always here about gun clubs closing based no young guys and so many cases they didn’t want new members.  Just curious on MG future thoughts.

My guess-stuff says in collections and never comes out. 

I’ve seen several trap clubs shut down because young guys couldn’t afford to get into shooting registered due to cost of ammunition and fees. 

The  young guys get older and can afford NFA and other toys.  For the most part young guys don't own anything as that's how life works generally speaking.  All of the collections have to be sold at some point.  Like all asset classes there is a bubble due to free money.  The last float in that parade is getting close to rounding the corner.   Lots of guys bought tons of stuff with HELOC's and other funds in 2007.  By 2010 a lot of those were for sale for a good buy.  Nothing really new here other than those in the drivers seat are dumber than the last guys running the show, and in some cases it's the same guys?  Expect a repeat, but likely worse, since the debt accrued in 2008 was never retired. 

I've never heard of a gun club closing around here.  They all have waiting lists.  When I was in a club the trap shooters were douche bags, but they ran the club and everyone else just sucked it up.  I find them to be similar to golfers in many ways?