death during transfer?

taylorwso

I've had a FFL go out of business during a transfer that was a clusterfuck, now this.

I sent a can to my FIL in July last year from my ffl/sot to his ffl, he died today. I don't know if the form 4 was approved ( doubt it), BUT if it's still  pending, CAN you get it canceled OR  does the form 4 have to be approved, then the executor pick it up then do the form 5?

I'm just worried the FFL I sent it to will sit on it, try to keep it.

Since I have all the info I will call and see the status, I doubt the atf will GAF.

Anyone dealt with this?  I've had some serious stupid shit happen in the NFA transfer process, but any precedent will help.

53 minutes ago, JECIII said:

Nope it'd a real pain in the ass.  Have to cancel the form 4.  Then form 5 it to the heir then another form 4.  Figure year to year and half 

Im just going to get it canxeld if I can then form 3 back to me. There is no one to form 5 it to.

Call up Martinsburg. You explain the situation. They're gonna ask you if you're the transfor or transfee and the serial number of the NFA weapon. You tell them you want to cancel because of death and apply for the refund. They may want you to write a letter to them with the make model and serial number of the NFA weapon and the reason for the council of the transfer so they have it in the records. It isn't as bad as you think.

Edited by GUNHEEP

5 hours ago, GUNHEEP said:

Call up Martinsburg. You explain the situation. They're gonna ask you if you're the transfor or transfee and the serial number of the NFA weapon. You tell them you want to cancel because of death and apply for the refund. They may want you to write a letter to them with the make model and serial number of the NFA weapon and the reason for the council of the transfer so they have it in the records. It isn't as bad as you think.

I know its not bad, Ive done them before, what I haven't done is cancel one that's not on my books.

I did get a reply:

In order to process the withdrawal of the form that you are referring to, we will need a few documents.

1. A signed letter stating the serial number(s) you are requesting to withdraw (must be hand-signed; digital signatures not accepted).
  • You may print your original request below, add your signature and/or serial number to it, and scan/email it back to us (rather than typing a new letter).

1. Please provide us with the names of the current transferee and transferor on the application you are wanting to withdraw, or a control number, in your letter.

You may send these documents via email to NFAFAX@atf.gov. Once these documents are received, we will start the withdrawal process for you.

Have a great day!

Just as I stated. It's not a problem. Just a bit of a pain.

There are a few people in certain departments of the A.T.F./NFA branch that do their job properly. Follow the letter to the T and it will probably be taken care of inside of 30 days.