Digging through 40 years of receipts....

R.L.

Trying to find a scope proof of purchase so Burris can do a repair on a scope. 

What memories in the process digging through the pile.

It's not just about how cheap things used to be, 

It's also remembering the good friendships developed along the way, and the recent loss of quite a few of these friends.

Been missing my friend Mike Todd .

Found some receipts from the early 80's from Doug and Linda at DLO.

I got along very well with Doug, although if he didn't like you, for whatever the reason, that was pretty much it.

Bought my first 1919 from Doug for $1750.00

An M2HB from Bob Landies for $5850.00 WITH a new M3 tripod!

Another for a Fleming sear for the exorbitant sum of $675.00.

I even found a hand written letter and invoice from Roy Weatherby.

Finally found the receipt for the XTR2 5x25x50!

It's sure been a long journey.

Cheers,

R.L.

• Like 2

I have sent several things to Burris (Steiner) for service and repair.  Some were replaced due to damage at no cost, some were repaired at no cost.  I have never been asked for a receipt.  I had to pay shipping to them, they paid shipping back to me.

Burris has a no question warranty.  Why did they want a receipt?

jrh:

If you use the Burris service portal to get an RMA (which requires a sign up), that's one of the things they asked for now.

I have 6 rifles with Burris XTRII 5x25's on them.

Burris are great scopes for the money and the warranty is one of the best in the industry.

Nightforce and S&B are my scope of choice, but it gets right pricey with 50+ rifles to have the high end scopes on every one!

I reserve using NF and S&B glass for my TRG's, Tikka's and Steyr's.

Cheers,

R.L.

Sorry I forgot.

For those that had the early Burris XTR's, there was a big problem with the illuminated reticle when they first hit the market.

I've had this one back twice now.

The illuminated reticle just failed out of the blue.

Turned it on and ...nothing.

If you have that problem send it back.

They actually replaced another scope with this problem I sent back previously with a new scope!

Cheers,

R.L.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:41 PM, Frank Iannamico said:

Here is an SAR article about the good old days, with some old ads... S&W 76  for $73.44

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3854

Thanks for the link Frank. Before the ban in 86 I was buying MP5's for my gun-shop in Annandale, Va. from HK when they were in  Chantilly,Va, for $485.00!!

Who would ever have thought they would sell one day for $40K!

Cheers, 

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo

RL,

I know, if anyone would have told me in 1986 that machine gun prices would escalate to current prices, and still climbing, I certainly would have thought they were delusional.

C2 manufacturer Charlie Erb lived near me, I did a form 1 on an SP1 AR-15, he milled the receiver and installed a GI sear for $50.00. He was selling Sten tube guns for $125-$150. I paid $500.00 for a Colt M16A1 and $550.00 for a Winchester M2 carbine. 

When the Chinese AKs came out I immediately bought one, for $299.00, serial number 31! I had Charlie convert it to select-fire for $125.00, with the stamp I had $624.00 in the AK. i sold it in 1993 for $2300.00  : - (   It re-surfaced on Strum a few years ago for $23,000.00.  

Prices are crazy, and some guns are hard to find, I check Strum daily and there isn't much being offered. 

Take care!

Edited by Frank Iannamico

On 4/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, R.L. said:

jrh:

If you use the Burris service portal to get an RMA (which requires a sign up), that's one of the things they asked for now.

I have 6 rifles with Burris XTRII 5x25's on them.

Burris are great scopes for the money and the warranty is one of the best in the industry.

Nightforce and S&B are my scope of choice, but it gets right pricey with 50+ rifles to have the high end scopes on every one!

I reserve using NF and S&B glass for my TRG's, Tikka's and Steyr's.

Cheers,

R.L.

Maybe I wasn't very clear.  I haven't had any issues with Burris/Steiner warranty service.  I was questioning why he had to find a receipt before his service.  

Burris/Steiner service has been 100% for me on all items I have sent them. One item was 25+ years old, one I told them up front it took a header out of a Polaris hog hunting and broke the lens.  They replaced it no questions.

Yea I'm with you on Vortex scopes Pete. Great glass for the money. I bought 2 Vortex Viper scopes on sale at Eurooptics a few years ago, and was surprised by the clarity of the Vortex glass.

Put 1 on a Dead Air suppressed CZ452. Not sure which I'm more impressed with ....the Dead Air Mask or the Vortex scope. Incredible combination.

Deathly accurate.

Cheers,

R.L.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, Shortbarrelpete said:

Just FYI.  Trijicon does not service their products! I will never buy from them again. 

I am very impressed by Vortex, they covered a used scope I bought 100%

Trijicon just replaced the tritium in my acog. Got it back in about 3 weeks after shipment.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:23 PM, Mississippijoe said:

Trijicon just replaced the tritium in my acog. Got it back in about 3 weeks after shipment.

Can I ask what they charged? 

Wonder if they would do the old Reflex??

*****UPDATE****

Happy to report Burris service and warranty lived up to their lifetime , no b.s. warranty for me.

They sent me a NEW 5x25x50 XTR 2 at no charge, since the original scope could not be repaired.

One of the reasons I really like Burris products. 

Good glass, reasonable prices, and a warranty second to none.

They stand behind their products.

R.L.