Gunbroker Jail

I had a similar situtation where a seller flagged me as a non paying buyer as the money order was MIA in the mail.  He flagged me, then the next day it showed up.  They locked me from buying or selling both.  I ended up having to make an entirely new account as it became a giant cluster F@@K.

@Rebel Rifle Ordnance LLCGunBroker locked me out once because there were two accounts associated with our IP address - one of them was mine, one of them was my father's. To their credit, they unlocked my account fairly quickly once I explained the situation to them.

Your action/comment must have been pretty epic for them to lock you out.

-KristopherH

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

13 minutes ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

@Rebel Rifle Ordnance LLCGunBroker locked me out once because there were two accounts associated with our IP address - one of them was mine, one of them was my father's. To their credit, they unlocked my account fairly quickly once I explained the situation to them.

Your action/comment must have been pretty epic for them to lock you out.

-KristopherH

On a listing I mentioned if you don't want to pay an illegal "sales tax" contact me.  I've sent about a dozen emails to support@gunbroker.com and so far all have been ignored.  What a bunch of ass hats they won't even give you the courtesy of a reply.

I always put in my listings "this item is for sale locally and I reserve the right to end the auction early if no bids are present.  Any questions contact me before bidding" as a hint......meaning-get ahold of me and lets deal off line to save each of use some money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Got Uzi said:

I always put in my listings "this item is for sale locally and I reserve the right to end the auction early if no bids are present.  Any questions contact me before bidding" as a hint......meaning-get ahold of me and lets deal off line to save each of use some money.

That's a much smarter way but I can bet that is against GB policy as well.  They seem to have gotten too big for their britches. I've sold countless items on GB and made them $1,000's of dollars.  They could care less.  So far I've sent about 20 emails to them.

Any attempt to circumvent their rules is going to end in an account lock, not really sure what you're complaining about other than you got caught.  They are not charging an "illegal" sales tax btw, yes it sucks but unfortunately the SCOTUS ruled in SD v Wayfair that states are legally allowed to require marketplace facilitators to collect sales tax on their behalf from sales transacted from their networks.  GB is required to collect and remit the sales tax in those states which in their wisdom have passed marketplace facilitator tax laws.  It's the same with eBay and Amazon, etc.  If you don't like it you can try to get around it with the please contact with questions trick and either set a stupid high reserve or initial bid price so you get offline offers but IMO you're losing money and time in the end.  Guys like Babb and Mitchell still make out like bandits with their no-reserve penny auctions even with the sales tax on top. 

Edited by b_san
  • Like 1

@Rebel Rifle Ordnance LLC

Try calling them at their BBB listed number: 720-223-0164. Tell them you will be contacting the Georgia Consumer Protection Division (BBB says they are in Kennesaw, GA) to file a complaint if they don’t give you the courtesy of a response. 

I am on mobile right now, but I can look for more information later. 

-KristopherH

Many years ago GunBroker is difficult to get unlocked.  I got locked because I used Tor Browser one time to log in.. Didn't know they had some policy against that.. so my account got locked. I got it unlocked within a day by calling their CFO or one of the chief officers from a phone # I found from a gun show registration. He was surprised and a bit pissed I called him.. though I get it. We worked out a deal where he unlocks me and I tell him how I got his phone #.  LOL

Honestly I can't blame them for forcing people to pay taxes. They are forced to. Mentioning to circumvent in an ad can be a liability for them if they allowed people to do it.
I do blame them for any other fees they might charge tagged on as a buyer. . 

I personally hate what's going on for interstate sales.  Have to force paying taxes in a different state and having what ever I make be posted to the IRS because it is over $600 is frustrating. Now you have to keep track of what you sell so you can deduct it from the money you receive (for example you sell your used gun/cloths/etc for less than what you paid).. then you would be taxed.. but you have to keep track of that crap.

9 minutes ago, b_san said:

Gunbroker does not file 1099-Ks for your sales, the law requires payment processors to file it not marketplaces.

Thanks for that info.

eBay does which is what I'm thinking about since I do some of my non-firearm business over there.. and I guess they handle payments now that they are not directly using PayPal anymore.

2 hours ago, Ryo said:

Many years ago GunBroker is difficult to get unlocked.  I got locked because I used Tor Browser one time to log in.. Didn't know they had some policy against that.. so my account got locked. I got it unlocked within a day by calling their CFO or one of the chief officers from a phone # I found from a gun show registration. He was surprised and a bit pissed I called him.. though I get it. We worked out a deal where he unlocks me and I tell him how I got his phone #.  LOL

Honestly I can't blame them for forcing people to pay taxes. They are forced to. Mentioning to circumvent in an ad can be a liability for them if they allowed people to do it.
I do blame them for any other fees they might charge tagged on as a buyer. . 

I personally hate what's going on for interstate sales.  Have to force paying taxes in a different state and having what ever I make be posted to the IRS because it is over $600 is frustrating. Now you have to keep track of what you sell so you can deduct it from the money you receive (for example you sell your used gun/cloths/etc for less than what you paid).. then you would be taxed.. but you have to keep track of that crap.

This was my point, what you said.  I've had a few naysayers respond with, "It's your own fault" and I get that.  Regardless, the Boston Tea Party happened because Americans were being taxed without representation.  Is that not exactly what is happening today?  Where is the line at what point do we say enough is enough?  I get they are "legally" taxing us because the government says they have to but guess what, I'm sick and tired of being taxed.  I'm sick and tired of being told the 2nd Amendment isn't for personal gun rights. I'm sick and tired of Progressives taking over this country.  I'm not ready for "war" against the government but I fear that is the only way things will ever change.  It happened twice in the country and it's not beyond happening again.

In other news, Gunbroker unlocked my account and warned me with termination if I pull that again.  I guess I won't push that boundary again.

7 hours ago, b_san said:

Gunbroker does not file 1099-Ks for your sales, the law requires payment processors to file it not marketplaces.

Exactly, this is true and the uninformed should take note.  And if you're a business entity what's the concern in $600 being reported? Sales tax gets collected by GB, the vendor receives it and then has to remits it? WTH is the problem? For the blind to see....you're working with the state's money for the month free of charge. If you're in business, then understand that is what it is on a national level. You're not losing anything, you're complying. I's good overall for the industry.  Get a CPA if you're in business, he's likely to save you thousand's of dollars and make all this go away.   Business is business, comply or get out. For the little guy...well comply.

9 hours ago, Side Arm Sams said:

Exactly, this is true and the uninformed should take note.  And if you're a business entity what's the concern in $600 being reported? Sales tax gets collected by GB, the vendor receives it and then has to remits it? WTH is the problem? For the blind to see....you're working with the state's money for the month free of charge. If you're in business, then understand that is what it is on a national level. You're not losing anything, you're complying. I's good overall for the industry.  Get a CPA if you're in business, he's likely to save you thousand's of dollars and make all this go away.   Business is business, comply or get out. For the little guy...well comply.

You are all about some compliance.  I tend to question things a little bit more.  

So the state I'm currently in, tax is not to be collected by the vendor until you ship 100K worth of goods into the state.  I know the auction houses don't know this and don't care because I've confronted them about it and sent them the regs.  They just collect it anyhow.  I just wonder if they actually forward it to the state?  Or if they are just pocketing it?   Most CPA's have a  lot of other stuff to deal with and the sales tax laws for each state require a deeper dive than most will take.  Most use a software program that also doesn't account for the specific regulations, but just attempts to get the percentage right, and even that seems challenging for most software programs? 

Currently most companies are ignoring the $600 mandate.  Just bought some doors from Lowe's.  $800.  Neither me nor the CC company is going to send them a 1099, nor does anyone else I know of? 

Sell that nice couch on facebook marketplace?  Your buyer going to 1099 you for $700?  If they cashapp, venmo, apple pay or paypal it could happen?  Business is business, but most of the population has chosen not to be in business, and selling that used couch doesn't make you a full blown retailer IMO.  The shizzle show doesn't hit the fan for three years, but I'm sure you're CPA has informed you of this?   Accountants are great, unfortunately many people in business know nothing about accounting which is a disaster waiting to happen.  Accountant's can tell you why you went broke right after they finish reconciling your books, course like bankruptcy lawyers they want payment up front.  LOL

Im not going to read your state's law but it's likely that it's written so that it covers the Marketplace facilitator (GB, eBay, etc) who likely has much more than 100k in total transactions in that state and thus all transactions which use the facilitator that terminate in the state in question are covered by the limit, or it could be that there is no minimum sales limit on facilitators in the 1st place, regardless of the company that's selling the items through the facilitator.  Your business sales on your own website would be separately covered by the minimum limits though so if you only have a few sales in the state in question you would not need a tax id there nor would you be required to submit sales tax on behalf of your own business.

With regards to your Lowes doors, they will get a 1099-K from their CC processors for all CC transactions at the end of the year.  Additionally yes any garage saler who uses Venmo or similar will now get a 1099-K at the end of the year if any of their transactions during the year exceed $600 with no minimal number of transactions, thanks to the Infrastructure bill.  What you wont get is a 1099-K for any PayPal F&F or Zelle transactions as they are personal money transfers and not intended to be used for commercial payments.

Gunsamerica is the same way.... Armslist wont even resopond to my e-mails. No issues on GunBroker yet but it's only a matter of time I'm sure. Oh excuse me, I have an issue with a seller, he misrepresented the item I won, I snt my paperwork into GunBroker but cause of COVID19 protocol they never went to the Post Office to pick up their mail. My BPP claim was terminated because I didnt respond, no because they didn't go to the Post Office and pick up their mail. It was returned to sender as undeliverable. What asshats.