Gun shows decline.

I have noticed a steady decline in gun shows in my area, notably Chantilly, VA and Harrisburg, PA.  I first attributed it to the pandemic, but covid seems to be easing up and the decline is increasing.  Could internet sales be affecting it that much?  Between lack of appropriate displayers ie; jewelry, crafts, toys etc. and low attendance, why go?  Hopefully this is not the future of gun shows.

Yeah I am thinking internet sales are probably hurting them. I'd like to see fewer, but bigger shows. At  least in Ohio it seems like there is a few gunshows every weekend. I'd rather go fewer times and see more/newer stuff. I hardly go anymore, I'm more likely to make the almost 4hr drive to Louisville for the gun day/SOS shows when they happen. Well that and knob creek, but we all know how that went for now. 

Gas prices, junk dealers, nothing but new retail dealers at shows, inflated priced, inflation overall hitting people in the wallet, people have bought up everythng they think they need, plus the summer of free money is over.  The shows I do here in Ohio have changed quite a bit, meaning people are using them as something for entertinment, getting out of the house and they only bring $100 or so to spend.  Big ticket items arent selling.  Parts, mags, accessories, are whats moving.  I cleared out five Glock pistols off my inventory at dealer cost plus tax and it took and entire weekend to do that.....dealers cant make money at shows, they stop going.  Thats when the junk dealers move in as show promoters want to sell tables.  When the junk dealers get to be too great, the gun buyer crowd goes away.  In a round about way its a self fulfilling proficey.  

I agree that Knob Creek was what a gun show should be, tables of guns and dealers specializing in certain areas but those days are dying rapidly.  A huge part of that is its getting harder and harder to get inventory to resell.  I deal in HK roller lock kits, parts, and so on.  Things are drying up really fast and place dont want to deal with you unless you are dropping $100k at a time to buy inventory.  Well guess what-that leaves alot of the little guys out and thye just sell off what they have and go away.  I can also say that in the 10 years I was going to KCR, that show changed quite a bit and I'd say it was directly related to the internet.  When I first started going there would be tables full of transferable MG's, and in the past few years those same tables had more post samples than transferables.  You could also look at the parts on the tables from then to now and see that was once considered worn out junk, was now a good find.  Its sad to realize that this is the way things are going, but there isnt a simple solution to this issue.

I've always considered gun shows a great place to get old surplus stuff for a good price.. but that has long and gone over where I live. Modern stuff I never look at in shows just due to the ease of buying it online. 

The problem I've had recently is that I can't get restocked on the ammo I sold a year ago. I made pretty good sales and profit on what I had, but I can't get resupplied. If I could fill my tables back up, I'd go back. But for now, it's pointless.

14 hours ago, 3rdmardiv said:

Hopefully this is not the future of gun shows.

they are dead and will continue to decline.

1. Internet: You can get all new stuff cheaper online.

2. Inventory: All the surplus is gone, and its harder than ever to get it in + see 1

3. People: Boomers are dead/dying don't want to sell/can't make it, Gen X are good on the surplus (cheap n deep) plus know the better deal is on the net. Millennials don't care about much going to the gun show, antiquing is better, Gen+ past that don't care at all about anything tangible.

4. Margins: since surplus is gone, plus big box stores selling at reduced margins, they is no money to be made.

Its a change in lifestyle, some people lived it, others will never see it, even more will never remember

Shows now adays there’s no deals on guns or ammo just Junk ar15s an cheapo handguns. Any time I see something worth buying I look at the price an it’s double what it will sell for an have some old guy tell me “I know what I got” lol. When I first started going to shows as a child mosins where 50-75 bucks sks 90-130 aks 250-350. Tons of cheap surplus guns gear etc etc and Ammo man don’t even get me started on how cheap that was! every one was willing to negotiate back then now days good luck.

The last Raleigh, NC show I went to was pre pandemic and I saw more Trapdoor Springfields than ever before.  I guess some of us old guys are dying off or offloading some of their collections.  I already have a trapdoor so didn't buy.  I've gotten some good deals at gunshows over the years but I guess those days are gone.  Yes, I agree... it seems there is less good stuff or deals to be had and instead there is a bunch of so-called "tactical" crap and other overpriced crap I don't need.  A buddy of mine who went to one of the shows not long ago told me about a third of the tables were empty.  Sorry, but not worth the 2 hour drive.  And the little show at the local NG armory is actually walking distance from my house.  Not worth the walk.

Kevin in NC

They are a social occasion for us. See and engage people we may not see otherwise. It is also nice to see something in person before buying. We get tables at collector shows. Occasionally, one of us will sell something for decent money to the right buyer. Sold a ton of gold and silver at my last few shows. I am able to move a bunch of stuff that is a PITA to sell on line. People walk by your table with a lot of neat stuff (bring backs with papers, bayonets, Randall knives, (and price it right for buying). I guess it all depends on what one likes.