American 180 S&S

PoliteSociety

Wondering if the brilliant minds here can help. I'm snagging an American 180 from S&S out of Albuquerque NM. I've been searching and haven't been able to find much on S&S. From what I found they only made 24 of them (submachine book pg334). Can anyone enlighten me more on what I have and approx value. I can upload some pics but it won't let me. 

Edited by PoliteSociety
Spelling

Blazer was the recommended ammo for the 180. I also know Blazer is recommended for Lakeside belt feds.

Federal Lightnings was the other one listed.

https://www.elmfg.com/am180/articles/mgn12-95.html

I can't remember what I ran in mine.. I think it was Federal bulk. It ran okay.. maybe one stoppage.

In my manual there was some writing on the one they though ran good in mine.. but can't remember what it was.

Edited by Ryo
  • Like 1

Thank you so. I'm excited to play with the new toy. I've read the E&L site almost front to back. Any idea on the desirability of an S&S vs. American Arms? And I haven't been able to find much on value since they don't come up for sale often. Any rough value you could put on one in VG condition?

I dont know that manufacturer matters.  I've had 3 different AM180s over 25 yrs.  The last one I bought was a NOS reciever that Val built up into a new gun.  There were some problems because of all the different parts and variations.  I would definitely send it to E&L first thing.  If you use the lexan drums buy the aluminum bottom plates.  If you are anal dont fire the last few rounds or use a dummy round.  That will help against peening.  Oh and lube it a lot at least every other drum.

Do not use Winchester Ammo. Some rounds do not seat completely in the chamber. The fixed firing pin on the bolt fires the not completely seated round. Results in a bullet stuck in the barrel. And then a bulged barrel. Federal seat well. Check your ammo choice for seating.

The last round in the drum may not seat or fire all the time. Always turn the gun over and check for the last round. Some guns do this. Others do not.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2022 at 4:07 PM, PoliteSociety said:

I went and test fired it today. It was a little dirty and did hang on a few rounds. When F4 is approved I'll send it over to Val to get tuned. Thanks again for everyone's help

Have your FFL send it out now while you're waiting.

• Like 2