M203 launcher--NFA or class I?

Bill in Bama

Fwiw, if the 37mm barrel was added afterwards to a bare receiver, it can still be a title-1 (non-NFA) firearm.  There are also 37mm launchers registered as DDs.

bare receiver - title I firearm

Receiver with 40mm barrel - NFA DD

receiver with 37mm barrel - maybe not a firearm, maybe title I, maybe NFA DD

If estate has other NFA stuff, it may be registered as a DD - look if it has a maker’s mark engraved on it (that would be the tell if it is a legal DD)

It's probably not a real m203. Likely a cobray 37mm launcher or such. 

I can probably identify it if you post pics or send me some. Feel free to email me Jacob.chevtec@gmail.com 

Matt is correct in his explanation 

M203 receiver without 40mm barrel = title 1

M203 receiver with 40mm barrel = NFA DD

M203 receiver with 37mm barrel = title 1

Cobray/spikes/x-products m203-ish 37mm launcher = non-firearm

The only other m203 lookalike is a run of 37mm m203s that LMT made a few years ago. These were made with custom receivers that will not accept a 40mm barrel so they are not firearms. 

Also, if it is a 40mm m203, simply separating the barrel from the receiver makes it title 1 by law. So that can be done until the rest is cleared up

• Like 2

I bought several of the Colt M203's from AU with 37mm tubes. The transferred to my FFL  as title 1 firearms. As I understand I can Form 1 it as a DD, and then swap to a 40mm LMT tube, or launch projectiles out of it at 37MM -- once I receive the approved Form 1.   As my FFL/SOT is an 07/02, he can only transfer 2 DD's per year? It was way-cool to be able to get a Colt-marked M203 as a T1 firearm. Please correct me if I have any of this wrong.  Thanks, Ted 

Yep, You got it Ted.

The two pass-thru tax free Form3 DD transfers per year is at ATF’s discretion where there are no local type 9 FFLs (dealer in DDs) who will deal with the public local to the transferee.  If they say no, transfer can still be done, but it is on a taxed F4.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2022 at 5:26 PM, mattnh said:

If no markings, not a firearm

Markings such as?  I have someone offering me a full package which includes a 40mm launcher but it has zero markings on it.  Safety selector on one side and breach release on the other.  Any idea what it might be?  Its mounted to a pre-ban HBAR.

He states

"...M203 the only numbers on it are the cocking handle. Also it measures 39.65mm at the barrel and 40.02mm at the chamber"

22 minutes ago, MRGUNZ FIREARMS said:

Markings such as?  I have someone offering me a full package which includes a 40mm launcher but it has zero markings on it.  Safety selector on one side and breach release on the other.  Any idea what it might be?  Its mounted to a pre-ban HBAR.

He states

"...M203 the only numbers on it are the cocking handle. Also it measures 39.65mm at the barrel and 40.02mm at the chamber"

If it is a title-I firearm (or registered DD), it should have the Mfg marking with a serial #.

I strongly suspect is is actually just a 37mm launcher if there are no markings on it.

However, from your description, it sounds like a 37mm launcher with a 40mm barrel (which would be a DD).

It that is indeed the case it should have been registered on a Form1(or 2)  at some point and have the Maker's Name+City/Sate+Serial-Number

If it was say a Cobray or similar 37mm flare launcher, which someone added a 40mm (LMT?) tube.... I would not want to shoot it with 40mm ammo, regardless. As I understand, the receiver may not be "up to snuff" and bad things could happen? Hip fire and lose your manhood :(

It is a 37mm flare launcher. That launcher is a CMP (component metal products) manufactured example.  They were distributed by Cobray, directly through CMP and also through Specialized Weapons Distributors which was Wayne Daniel’s (Cobray) son Buddy’s company (he went on to form TAPCO I believe).  CMP made many of the stamped parts for RPB, SWD/Cobray, and all of their magazines, they also made the ENCOM guns.  This is the earliest version of the Cobray flare launcher and the coolest looking one, it mounts tighter to the barrel and looks more authentic, otherwise it is basically the same exact thing as the more common Cobray design.  Some of them have the CMP logo stamp on them.  

Pics (not mine)  note the CMP stamp on the receiver.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by CobrayCollector87
  • Like 1