M16A2 question

Dean

From my observations...Most, if not all, Colt US Property M16A2 rifles are BURST marked, Most, but not all, commercial/export Colt M16A2's are AUTO marked. 

I don't have the Colt info in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that the BURST feature was an option. 

M16A2.jpg

Edited by Frank Iannamico

• 1 month later...

From what I have observed, (although with Colt, there are always exceptions) if it's an M16A2 and it shipped from Colt in rifle configuration, it will have a "burst" marked lower.
If it shipped as a carbine, it will have an "auto" marked lower.
The ones with an "auto" marked lower have always been more sought after and command a higher price.
As far as Colt M16A2 prices go, commanding the highest would be a "US Government Property" marked one. These will always be "burst" marked.
Then you have the "auto" marked commercial M16A2 and finally the "burst" commercial M16A2.
Be aware that Colt was using both leftover A1 as well as true A2 forgings in their commercial guns in the mid 80's so you can come across a Colt M16A2 marked rifle/carbine that was made on a M16A1 forging. These will command a lower price than M16A2s built on true A2 forgings to knowledgeable buyers so if the forging style matters to you, it's important to be able to spot the differences.
This info applies only to those guns that shipped from Colt in the 80's. There are some Colt M16A2 guns floating around that are what I like to think of as "grey" guns that have M16A2 rollmarks but were made much more recently and on M4 forgings.
Personally I would avoid these but some people are attracted to them because of their modern features.

Here is a pic of my "auto" marked Colt M16A2 built on a real A2 forging that came from the factory as a carbine.

Xkqcqip.jpg

• Like 1

How any particular M16A2 was AUTO or BURST marked would make no difference to me, (price and condition would be more important) and the burst parts are easily removed and changed for FA parts. 

From my observations of a fair number of commercial M16A2 rifles and carbines, most were marked AUTO making a commercial M16A2 marked BURST a rarer version. And usually RARE = MORE $$$$

Just my 5-cents (.02 cents adjusted for Covid inflation)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the 90's, saw quite a few M16's for sale and most of the a2's were marked auto, however the last few years most discussion on the boards seem to emphasize the rarity of the auto markings on the M16a2. Frank we appreciate your expert opinion on this subject, it clarifies the confusion regarding scarcity and its effect on the market, thanks gordon