Thompson SMG L Drum questions.......

MP5

Just found an old, original L drum in a box in the back of my closet; I knew I had one but it's been decades since I had seen it!  Is there any difference between winding them 9 or 11 clicks?  Why 9 or 11, and not 10?  Do these require any lubrication after sitting untouched (very dry climate here) for 25 years?  I was thinking maybe a tiny drop of oil or BreakFree CLP on that center inner rotating shaft??  And lastly, what are these things worth today?

For the rotational center part people grease the internals. I'm talking filled in with grease from a grease gun.

I would go to machinegunboard to get more information on greasing drums. They have a great Thompson section.. with experts.

The model 1921 has a higher cyclic rate than the 1928 and the drum apparently needed a little more "oomph" in feeding rounds to keep up with it, so it was recommended to wind to 11 clicks for the 1921 and 9 clicks for the 1928.  Original drums can range from around $500 to over $1,000, depending on rarity and condition.  I will second the suggestion to check out the Thompson board at machinegunbooks.com.  Those guys are Thompson fanatics and the level of knowledge there is astounding.

It would be definitely less than $75 (that was the price listed from the link) 

I'll have to look to see if I still have parts lying around. I had bought more than I needed but I think I need to buy a cap. I've been planning on designing a better one, but haven't had a chance to look. 

• 1 month later...