SBR question

SBD

A SBR can be marked with your info on the barrel rather than the receiver, but the receiver is what is actually registered and the SN must be on the receiver.

A barrel itself cannot be registered as an NFA SBR conversion device.

Read section 7

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-atf-p-53208/download

Edited by mattnh

Assuming you are a non-licensee, My guess is to what “possibly” is about would be manufacture yourself a bunch of AR15 receivers (not purchased) with the same SN.  NFA Register the SN and mark a barrel with your info.

Legal?  Lol, I’d consult a criminal attrny before proceeding…

An SBR is a combination of parts.  You can pick whatever part you want and pick your own serial number to apply as long as it meets the marking requirements.  As stated if you mark the barrel, it has no relationship to the receiver, so that's not relevant, nor is the serial number.  The downside is you'd be stuck to that barrel vs. marking another part such as the receiver, then you could swap different uppers with different bbl lengths.

If your a "non licensee" you can make your own receivers and there is no need to number them at all, but once you make it part of an NFA firearm such as an SBR, there needs to be maker marking somewhere visible, and to regulation.

SBD - Hope it is clear there is no such thing as a legal AR15 SBR conversion device that can be moved between receivers.  You need to register each AR15 receiver that you plan to configure as a SBR.

There are two items that would achieve your “swapable” AR15 pistol to “SBR” objective; however, they are machine gun conversion devices (RDIAS & Lightning Link).  Transferable ones sell for considerable sums….

• Like 1

i am a 07/02 i read the book and it was unclear.  I  ask the atf; the answer i got from the atf is we dont know. Thats why i posted here because i didn’t  want to submit a email/letter bla bla bla.  

i thought maybe  i could register a stock like a dias thats why i asked. i have a dias but i dont keep it with the host and i run shorty upper w/supressor and wanted to do away with the brace. and if i ever give up my sot i could put it on whatever i want. that was my thought anyway.

i was also told by the atf i could mark a barrel give it a new sn# different from the sn on the receiver i didnt ask or clarify ar type rifles.

07/02

Look at NFA Form2 Item #12a (Definition 1c)

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-2-notice-firearms-manufactured-or-imported-atf-form-53202/download

1c Firearm

The term "firearm" means: (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 5845(e); (6) a machinegun; (7) a muffler or silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and (8) a destructive device.

Those definitions do not provide a way to register a SBR conversion device.  They do provide a way to register MG, AOW, and DD (conversion) devices

Edited by mattnh

On 1/6/2022 at 8:29 PM, SBD said:

i am a 07/02 i read the book and it was unclear.  I  ask the atf; the answer i got from the atf is we dont know. Thats why i posted here because i didn’t  want to submit a email/letter bla bla bla.  

i thought maybe  i could register a stock like a dias thats why i asked. i have a dias but i dont keep it with the host and i run shorty upper w/supressor and wanted to do away with the brace. and if i ever give up my sot i could put it on whatever i want. that was my thought anyway.

i was also told by the atf i could mark a barrel give it a new sn# different from the sn on the receiver i didnt ask or clarify ar type rifles.

Here is the definition of an SBR:

921 (8)The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

As an 07/02, when you build a firearm into a configuration that matches this you have made an SBR. You then register it on Form 2.

• 1 month later...