Are NJ FFL01 subject to state gun laws?

Gaujo

I already own through a trust several NFA items, including a mg and suppressors.  I am strongly considering getting my FFL01 home based.  Would I be subject to the NJ gun laws regarding magazine size restrictions, and NFA ownership?

If your question is as simple as it appears, the answer is YES.  Holding a federal license does not pre-empt any state restrictions.  Only the state law itself can exempt license holders.  If NJ says "You shall not ____ unless you hold a federal license", all is well.  If NJ says "You shall not ____." then you will be in the same position as you are now minus $200.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge NJ requires that you have a Retail Firearms license..

If ATF approves your license they notify NJ State Police that you have an FFL

One of the reasons that Sarco moved to Pa. was that NJ refused to renew their state retail license.

Also be advised that short barrelled rifles, short barrelled shotguns, silencers, and slingshots (Yes, slingshots) are prohibited weapons in NJ.

Magazines are limited to 15 rounds. FFL's are OK to have mags over 15 rounds from what I've been told.

If you don't live here, DO NOT move here.

My current employment situation keeps me here. But I'll escape again one day!

Click on the link for some info.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tim D. said:

To the best of my knowledge NJ requires that you have a Retail Firearms license..

If ATF approves your license they notify NJ State Police that you have an FFL

One of the reasons that Sarco moved to Pa. was that NJ refused to renew their state retail license.

Also be advised that short barrelled rifles, short barrelled shotguns, silencers, and slingshots (Yes, slingshots) are prohibited weapons in NJ.

Magazines are limited to 15 rounds. FFL's are OK to have mags over 15 rounds from what I've been told.

If you don't live here, DO NOT move here.

My current employment situation keeps me here. But I'll escape again one day!

Click on the link for some info.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

I've been within a few hundred yards of NJ on several occasions, and never ventured into the state.  Based on their firearm laws, it's not a state I want to visit.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com