Form 3 description changes by ATF

Got Uzi

I have a Fleming sear coming in and I looked at the original paper Form 3 then the Form 3 that was submitted and noticed two things-they changed “Fleming” to “Heckler and Koch” as the manufacture and they dropped “sear” in the description of the item. Anyone else noticed this? I went back and looked at a Form 3 I just got in for another Fleming sear for a different client and his says “Fleming” and “machine gun” 

Planning to call ATF-NFA tomorrow and inquire as to why the changes.

14 minutes ago, Got Uzi said:

I have a Fleming sear coming in and I looked at the original paper Form 3 then the Form 3 that was submitted and noticed two things-they changed “Fleming” to “Heckler and Koch” as the manufacture and they dropped “sear” in the description of the item. Anyone else noticed this? I went back and looked at a Form 3 I just got in for another Fleming sear for a different client and his says “Fleming” and “machine gun” 

Planning to call ATF-NFA tomorrow and inquire as to why the changes.

I wouldn't waste the time. Its never ending.

I believe some of this shit is from new examiners, but most of it's on a whim if not from a lack of knowledge/ or GAS.

I've had some great examiners help me after I finally get them on the phone, but at the same time I've had items go missing on the database, items removed from inventory because of typing errors, items declined transfer because it didn't match the database but the picture of the item with engraved markings was "wrong", different instructions from different emails/ vs phone/ vs the USC, hell I made two different calls to a person but the answers were different.

Just be happy when you have the form, errors or not.

Sear is not an option since you have to list whether it's a MG, DD, etc.  Sometimes guys tried to fit machine gun sear in the description, but machine gun sear is not a valid NFA classification.  The manufacturer section isn't particularly relevant, since 80% of them seem to be either incorrect or missing most of the info. 

On form 3's only the serial #, transferee, and transferor info is important, the rest is readily verifiable when/if they knock on your door since they have complete access to your inventory.  Much different on form 4's to non-sot's since they can't have access to the guns, so being closer to the original registration info is more important since the guns could be out of the market for decades.  SOT inventory churns relatively quickly since most SOT transfers are just a temporary stepping off point into a state, not the final destination. 

The question becomes do you want 7 day SOT transfers with some errors, or do you want to wait 9 months to properly vet every detail?

Does the seller have the original Form 3/4 to look at? I always reference the information I put on my transfer forms from that sheet.due to the possibility it labeled incorrectly in the registry. 

One of my MG34 has a blank spot for manufacturing which I shoot my head when I got the approval to receive. One of the SBS I received had some other manufacturer/importer when it was a Benelli..

I have a copy of the original F3 for the item in question. I plan to just let the F3 transfer ride and once I have it I’ll get things sorted out but then again it probably won’t mayter much as I don’t plan to sell this sear. 

on one of my form 4s they changed the caliber from saying 22/9mm/45 to just 9mm. an i have the form from the guy who had it before me no idea why the atf decided they needed to changed it. but i dont care i have my stamp thats all that matters. it was on a vector uzi btw

8 hours ago, Thumpy said:

on one of my form 4s they changed the caliber from saying 22/9mm/45 to just 9mm. an i have the form from the guy who had it before me no idea why the atf decided they needed to changed it. but i dont care i have my stamp thats all that matters. it was on a vector uzi btw

yes, because you can't shoot a gun in three calibers at once so the idea is to pick one.  It's been that way for at least 5 years.  You can switch to whatever caliber you like at any point, so listing three was probably complicated for them to enter in the system and pointless to boot.   The other thing that may have happened is some genius may have added .45, .40 and several others hand written in.  Then he probably requested a letter asking if it's legal?   It's not always atf's fault, there is always some tool pushing the envelope that they have to respond to?

10 hours ago, Thumpy said:

Well the form was approved 1 year before I bought it saying 22/9mm/45 that’s why I even commented it. Seems kind of odd that some times they enforce this rule an other times ignore it.

they did the same thing with "multi" It wasnt allowed, then it was now its not- who knows

I’ve seen some errors on my NFA guns in the registry.  To fix them, send a signed letter to NFA Division via email (not just an email, it has to be a signed letter .pdf attachment).  Identify the firearm and describe what needs to be changed and why.  I usually embed photos too, especially if its a markings correction.  I know its time consuming, but you can correct multiple issues on one letter.

Last time I sent a letter in, it took a few months but at least its correct now.

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 3:45 PM, Nitzel said:

I’ve seen some errors on my NFA guns in the registry.  To fix them, send a signed letter to NFA Division via email (not just an email, it has to be a signed letter .pdf attachment).  Identify the firearm and describe what needs to be changed and why.  I usually embed photos too, especially if its a markings correction.  I know its time consuming, but you can correct multiple issues on one letter.

Last time I sent a letter in, it took a few months but at least its correct now.

Ben

We did the same.

The proper information was noted and the corrections made.

What helped us is that we had a partially redacted copy of the Form 2 from 1952.  The year that the subgun was manufactured. The FOIA helped, along with photos and other historical references. A copy of the Form 5 to a PD helped. Dated 1953.

It was an Ingram M6. The NFRTR did not have it as a C&R. It finally transferred out as a C &R to the transferee.
Worth the time and effort in my opinion.

David