How to verify a MG is transferable?

flgunguy

There is no way to know 100% for certain from just looking at the current paper forms.

There are dealer-samples last transferred on un-marked F3s/F4s forms and there are even some

guns have even been re-classified as post samples still in possession of the current owner

(allowed to keep possession, but next transfer must be proper).  Only way to know for certain is to do a transfer

to a non-licensee/non-sot on a F4 as it will be rechecked...

I supposed an NFA-savvy attorney with the proper contacts @ BATFE could propose a hypothetical transfer and get a hypothetical answer...  

Edited by mattnh

The forms do not tell you if the NFA item is pre86 or transferable. I have a few F3 and F4 that I just took a quick look at to just to confirm. I do not know what postie F3s look like.

I will contact my IOI to ask about this. He told me the other day if I ever want to look up a firearm, contact him.

1 hour ago, flgunguy said:

Ok I suppose calling the ATF is the way to go. 

Most of the people you speak to directly will be temp help or contract workers. Try and find out the examiners name on the form 3 and call and ask for them or email them? That’s what I have done in the past and it’s worked for the most part. Ymmv. 

Many times the contract worker will only talk to the owner of the gun

The Form 3 or even a 4 may not have restrictions on it.

I had a Swedish k pre86 sample that had no restrictions on the form and a fully transferable one would be worth double

so before selling it I checked with NFA. All the Postie F3s that I have seen  have always had restrictions 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greasegunner said:

Many times the contract worker will only talk to the owner of the gun

The Form 3 or even a 4 may not have restrictions on it.

I had a Swedish k pre86 sample that had no restrictions on the form and a fully transferable one would be worth double

so before selling it I checked with NFA. All the Postie F3s that I have seen  have always had restrictions 

Was this one of the guns you bought from that really good dealer, WAUKESHA GUN BUYER?? 

4 hours ago, komodoj said:

Most of the people you speak to directly will be temp help or contract workers. Try and find out the examiners name on the form 3 and call and ask for them or email them? That’s what I have done in the past and it’s worked for the most part. Ymmv. 

Thanks I am meeting the seller tomorrow and will try to get as much due diligence done as possible. 

So my IOI said for me to contact him if I ever needed to determine the status of an NFA item. He mentioned that the paperwork should indicate that it is a pre-86 but as mentioned, none of my paperwork shows that. I asked for clarification from him about it.

38 minutes ago, Ryo said:

So my IOI said for me to contact him if I ever needed to determine the status of an NFA item. He mentioned that the paperwork should indicate that it is a pre-86 but as mentioned, none of my paperwork shows that. I asked for clarification from him about it.

“Most” IO’s are pencil pushers! Examiners have the power to go back and look at original form 2’s and others. Imho. Ymmv. 

My IOI was able to look up why I had the same SBS listed twice on my eForm. They looked it up and found that there was only one SBS listed under my business, and told me that likely it was error on the website. He seemed pretty good and helpful, but I may just have a good one.