Resources

SpeyRod

Many guns have very comprehensive books written about them.  Frank Iannamico's books, Collector Grade books, etc. Then there are the original manuals.  US military guns have an advantage here as there are manuals which detail stripping,  maintaining,  shooting,  rebuilding,  etc. Smith and Ezell's Small Arms of the World is a great overview for a lot of guns. Magazines, such as Small Arms Review cover this as well. I prefer hard copy over digital or net based platforms.  This board and Machinegun books.com are excellent sources of information. A lot of online video contain gross misinformation and unsafe practices. A couple reputable ones are Jeff Zimba at Big Shooterist and Ian at Forgotten Weapons. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waffen Und Bier said:

Many guns have very comprehensive books written about them.  Frank Iannamico's books, Collector Grade books, etc. Then there are the original manuals.  US military guns have an advantage here as there are manuals which detail stripping,  maintaining,  shooting,  rebuilding,  etc. Smith and Ezell's Small Arms of the World is a great overview for a lot of guns. Magazines, such as Small Arms Review cover this as well. I prefer hard copy over digital or net based platforms.  This board and Machinegun books.com are excellent sources of information. A lot of online video contain gross misinformation and unsafe practices. A couple reputable ones are Jeff Zimba at Big Shooterist and Ian at Forgotten Weapons. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Waffen Und Bier said:

I definitely agree with this list, though I've caught Ian have a mistake here or there, but over great stuff.

I bought my collection of hard bound books on the specific machineguns I have. I do like soft copy as well since I can do a search and get instant gratification (or frustration not finding the info). Some of my books don't have an index which also gets frustrating flipping pages. Seems like every time I flip through one of my books, I learn something new.

Not one source for all mgs. Too much info to do that.

Instead go for single firearm books...or families of guns.

I've found the manuals etc to be not as valuable as just posting specific questions to knowledgable mg owners. 

Youtube has a ton of great videos that have helped me tremendously over the years- esp with some beltfeds.

forums are the best aside from having the gun sitting there with an expert.

Here's a resoufrce library which contains a bunch of manuals etc. You have to scan the list to see what interests you.

https://snugbus.com/Library/index2.php

https://snugbus.com/Library/index2.php

Digital makes sense as a supplement.  The search ability is a valid point. I hate trying to repair a vehicle etc. using my phone. I like the hard copies.  I always buy one of the Collector Grade or Iannamico books for every machine gun I acquire. I end up giving it to the purchaser of the gun when I sell it. I need to get the MAC book, the STEn book,  and the M76 book. Told myself a couple years ago, I don't collect anymore, but these three some how found there way to me. Careful,  they are addictive. 

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

One of the very best resources is to have a subscription to Small Arms Review. First you get a great hard copy magazine, (I have almost every issue, 25+ years, plus most of the old Machine Gun News, that had a 10+ year run before SAR) -- PLUS you have access to the articles in a searchable format, PLUS you have access to all the different manuals and documents that Dan has scanned in the Archives.  They are PDF's, so you can print them as well.  I almost always find what I am looking for when I start there......