Can't remove cocking handle on Wilson Sterling Mk 4?

TBM850

Can't remove cocking handle on Wilson Sterling Mk 4?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question that has puzzled me since I bought my Wilson Sterling about a year ago.

My cocking handle seems to be impossible to remove from the bolt. Is it welded to the bolt somehow?

I've followed all the YouTube and written disassembly instructions and from what I can tell as long as the cocking handle is aligned with the larger opening in the slot at the rear of the tube it should pull straight out.

Not so on mine. No amount of heating the bolt, penetrating oil, gentle hammering with a rubber mallet or pulling with pliers can get that thing to pull out.

I am stumped and it means I can't remove the bolt. Has anyone else run across this? Any suggestions on how to remove the cocking handle? Am I missing some secret retaining mechanism that is different from an original Sterling? Is it welded to the bolt somehow?

Many thanks in advance!

I had a sterling years ago that unknown to me was built on Sten tube.  I sold it and bought one built on sterling tube.

some Stenlings you need to depress the spring loaded pin inside the rear of the bolt, while pulling the handle outward at the same time. It can be difficult sometimes requiring 3 hands.

Some of the Stenling conversions came with a short brass rod to depress the plunger.

• Like 1

Dean,

You are a gentleman and a scholar! That was exactly the confounding issue. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with my question. I very much appreciate it!

The cocking handle came right out following your advice.

Next question: Why was that (undocumented) design change necessary on Stenlings? 

Cheers!

Paul

) The Stenling has a wider cocking slot.
2) The Stenling's cocking handle and cocking handle block are modified by drilling a hole in each so the plunger protrudes through them to retain the cocking handle. The cocking handle itself has a little metal added to it so it fits properly in the wider slot and retains the bolt at the correct angle.

• Like 2