Mac 10: original suppressor and stock availability?

lemonysword

I’m considering getting my first full auto and I’ve wanted a MAC 10 since I watched rush hour as a kid. I’d like one in the classic wire stock with a strap up front configuration, at least to start. I think 9mm would be better because that $.20 per round difference will add up fast at 1200RPM, but I understand that the .45 guns can be converted to 9mm as well. I also want one of the original style old school cans. I’m looking at two guns right now. One is a .45 and includes an RPB suppressor and one mag, but is missing the wire stock (which I have yet to find a replacement for). It costs a few hundred dollars more than a 9mm model which does have the stock and strap as well as a few mags. While the suppressor is super cool, I can’t see myself shooting .45 full auto that often, so the can would essentially be a prop since the thread pitch is different between the 9mm and .45 barrels.

So my question now is if I go with the .45, how likely am I to find a replacement wire stock? If I go with the 9mm (or convert the .45 to 9mm), how likely am I to find an original suppressor threaded for the 9mm barrel pitch, and how much should I expect to pay for it?

note, I do not want a Gemtech viper, it’s too small. I want the iconic, enormous, outrageous foot long can. The bowers vers 9 is about the same size and could be a stand in I suppose.

I also do not want an aftermarket stock. I want the original wire folder. Yes, I know it sucks. I don’t care.

So I purchased the 9mm M10. I figured that while the thought of being able to shoot both .45 and 9mm, the reality is it would just be more money to have a .45 upper and can I’d likely never really use. I could put that money instead towards a dedicated 9mm suppressor.

so, how available are the original MAC or RPB suppressors in 9mm and how much do they typically run?

I'm a purist and big fan of 60's and 70's guns. I like the looks of the original configuration of the MAC withthe wire stock and the Sionics type two stage silencer.  The cans can be had relatively inexpensive.  From what I understand, they aren't as quiet as newer designs. The wipe in mine was as hard as a rock when I got it. I need to rebuild its internals. I have an MK9 and a Bowers PAS9 to shoot on it in the meantime.  

IMG_1122-scaled.jpg

• Like 2

In the past I had people give me MAC suppressors for just paying the transfer tax, BUT that seems to have changed due to a resurgence in interest of the "Old School" big cans.

I sold a 9mm MAC 10 with a can, while I had it posted here for sale, several people offered to buy just the suppressor for $750.00 to $900.00. However, the offers came too late the can when with the gun.

Since I have seen other original cans go that high. A Powder Springs can would be the most valuable followed by RPB, then SWD. There are also MAC  type suppressors that were built (and registered) from the parts RPB and SWD used to sell. 

MAC ad452.jpg

Edited by Frank Iannamico
  • Like 1

I too like the "Old School" look those MACs just look "right" with the big cans. 

They do come up occasionally, you just have t be patient and keep looking. Good luck!

I had Tom Bowers upgrade my MAC cans because the end wipes don't last very long. However, before I had them updated, I fired one with new wipes, it was pretty quiet.

• Like 1

What do you think is a fair price for one? I put a WTB post up on this forum to try and find one. The one I mentioned on gunbroker for $1200 is a powder springs, complete with box. I imagine the collectibility commands a premium but again, I’m just looking for something with the proper profile.

ive also noticed that the bowers vers 9 has the same dimensions as the original cans, it just lacks the thicker version by the bottom which I suppose could be mimicked with a large heat shield of some sort. Does anyone have both an OG can and a bowers vers 9 that could compare?

I have had MAC's of every make, type and caliber since 1980, but bought my first MAC Sionics can last year. It came with the gun. About 5 years back, a dealer at a local gun show had a handful of original MAC cans new in the box priced cheaper than the average new made can. I didn't buy any because I had enough newer MAC cans. That kicking sound you hear is me kicking myself for not running to the shop and grabbing the SOT. I didn't even think about the collectability aspect of everything retro today.  Just committed to a S&W M76. My 1970's itch is now scratched.

Also, does anyone know if short mags existed for these? I can only find 30 and 32 round magazines. I’m going to try and get a custom shoulder holster like the old Desantis ones made by a leather smith I know, and I’d like a mag that sits nearly flush. I’ve seen a “holster mag” for the .45ACP model on usmachineguns but none for the 9mm. I have cut AK mags down in the past from 30 to 10 rounds, but the steel on the 9mm SMG mags I’ve handled is usually thicker than the thin stamped AK mags. For AK mags I leave the sides just a hair longer than the front and back, then bend them out to mount the floorplate on, but I think that would be very difficult with a 9mm stick mag

30 minutes ago, Buddy H said:

This company will shorten your mags …….

http://www.badelementco.com/products-services 

I’m familiar with him, didn’t realize he had branched out past AK mags though. Most recent stuff I saw about him was that projects were almost years out and that he is just way way too busy to do it on his own.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:41 PM, lemonysword said:

Also, does anyone know if short mags existed for these? I can only find 30 and 32 round magazines. I’m going to try and get a custom shoulder holster like the old Desantis ones made by a leather smith I know, and I’d like a mag that sits nearly flush. I’ve seen a “holster mag” for the .45ACP model on usmachineguns but none for the 9mm. I have cut AK mags down in the past from 30 to 10 rounds, but the steel on the 9mm SMG mags I’ve handled is usually thicker than the thin stamped AK mags. For AK mags I leave the sides just a hair longer than the front and back, then bend them out to mount the floorplate on, but I think that would be very difficult with a 9mm stick mag

There is a 15-round 9mm mag pictured in the MAC MAN book on page 430 

IMG_1712.jpg

• Like 1

Someone on another forum messaged me and offered to sell his Military Arms Corp powder springs two stage 9mm suppressor to me, but neither of us are sure what a fair price on it is. What, in current times, would be a fair price to offer him? It's out of state on a form 4 so two stamps required if that affects the price. 

The 15rd mags existed, might still have one in the mess

The MacMan book misses things, early things, great read but hardly a last word on what they were turning out early on.  Many goofy variations up into the RPB era

Desantis rigs were offered in .45 and 9mm, thats why you had concealment mags...shoulder rigs and also normal belt holsters

have a beater PS holster somewhere.  yeah normal on the belt, nobody better tell me you ran a full mag with those, that's just full idiot

old school Sionacs cans

Main issue was the end wipe assembly, blue neoprene...shot out pretty fast.  Initial discharges were quiet as all Fuk.  It's glorified WWII tech

in the late 70s some characters started doing Stirling style end caps, wipeless, selling free trade in SGN.  Truth is a Sionacs unit is damn' effective.  Ton of volume internally, the end cap just sucked dog balls due to the wipes so guys got into the lore they were not very effective.  Truth was you blew out the wipes after a couple bursts thus evolved this myth of the inferior Sionacs can by the middle 90s.

Some SOTs seriously pushed all this

"repacking" cans, new wipeless endcaps, another issue was MACs had rather loose muzzle threads so wipeless endcaps were often larger than needed thus reducing their suppression, just liability issues.

Started with just doing rebuilds, evolved into new streamlined smaller units and what was done was beneath your typical over the counter "solvent trap" of today

old school...guys die cut replacement wipes.  Well by the time the yuppie NFA Brigade moved in, well THATS UNLAWFUL, they will take my 928 Porsche Turbo or Audi LOL.  By the late 90s the NFA community was already on knees, licking balls due mostly to urban professionals invading a new space

old school was quite a bit different and I for one lament all that

On 11/16/2021 at 9:31 AM, PoliteSociety said:

I went with one of these for a retro style look with huge volume.  Of course have all F1 paperwork done before. 

1" F1 can

2" outside diameter, nice. 

I wound up finding and buying an original powder springs M10 can in 9mm from a fellow on a forum. Unfortunately it is out of state on a form 4 so I guess I'll see it in a couple years..

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...